Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Angry Falls Twp to Ban Firearms on Township Property

Hello all,

I had to post this because I could not believe what I had heard a recent Falls Township Board of Supervisors meeting on Nov,. 6th. The board is proposing an ordinance to prohibit firearms on township property to include the municipal building.

I had done some research and understand this is a violation of state law and citizens 2d Amend. Rights.

I plan on attending the next meeting at the Falls Twp municpal building on Nov. 19th @ 7pm to protest. I will be in an "Open Carry" posture.

Anyone locally care to join me?

All comments welcome!

Tw

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Falls Twp to Ban Firearms on Township Property

The proposed legislation is a violation of PA's UFA. I would suggest e-mailing them before the next to make them aware of the violation. I would start of by playing nice and looking like a reasonable, law-abiding citizen. Hopefully that will be enough. If they don't get back to you by the next meeting, then why not show up to protest it.

IMO, by showing up OCing is provoking an additional fight and might hurt your cause at this point.

(Venango County)

Yes, this would be a violation of state preemption laws.

I am sure there will be a few local members here shortly, to offer their thoughts. Maybe with an email address, we could all let them know the laws they plan on breaking.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Chester County)

If you already haven't, I would suggest that you read the proposed Ch 199 so that you will be better prepared to address any issues at the meeting. It is available for public inspection:
    NOTICE FALLS TOWNSHIP NOTICE FALLS TOWNSHIP The FALLS TOWNSHIP BOARD OF SUPERVISORS will take action on the following Ordinance Amendment at its regularly scheduled meeting on November 19, 2013, at 7:00 p.m. , to be held at the Township Building, 188 Lincoln Highway, Fairless Hills, PA and will hold a public hearing on and will consider for adoption, an ordinance authorizing enactment of Chapter 199 (Township Owned Property). The Ordinance to be considered and acted upon is the following: AN ORDINANCE OF THE TOWNSHIP OF FALLS, BUCKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, ADOPTING CHAPTER 199 - TOWNSHIP OWNED PROPERTY The proposed Ordinance to be considered and acted upon on October 19, 2013, has been drafted for the health, safety and general welfare of the residents of Falls Township. The proposed Ordinance enacts Chapter 199 (Township Owned Property) to establish regulations as well as penalties and violations for the possession of firearms by any person while on, in, within or at any property owned by Falls Township as defined in the proposed Ordinance. The full text of the proposed Ordinance may be examined by any citizen in the Office of the Manager of Falls Township located at 188 Lincoln Highway, Suite 100, Fairless Hills, PA 19030, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.; at the Levittown Regional Library located at 7311 New Falls Road, Levittown, PA 19055, Monday through Thursday between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.; Friday between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.; Saturday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. and Sunday between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.; and, at the Fallsington Local Library located at 139 Yardley Avenue, Fallsington, PA 19054, Monday through Friday between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.; Monday through Thursday evenings between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. and Saturday between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Michael P. Clarke Solicitor for Falls Township 8 Neshaminy Interplex, Suite 215 Trevose, Pa 19053 2t N 10, 12

IANAL

(Bucks County)

Like other states, the Libtards are moving in and bringing their Libtardism with them.
    Only a matter of time until we're Colorado and fighting for The PA we've known.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Butler County)

it says by any person, does that also include the police?

(Bucks County)

Question Re: Falls Twp to Ban Firearms on Township Property

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    If you already haven't, I would suggest that you read the proposed Ch 199 so that you will be better prepared to address any issues at the meeting. It is available for public inspection:
    Ok, so what am I missing? They are trying to ban firearms correct? I have not seen an ordinance on line stating that.

I have already sent them a letter stating they are violating the state law.

Am I off??

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to PAFOA. Thanks for signing up and sharing this.

1. See if you can get a copy of the proposal and share it here. These townships know about the pre-emption rules, they must think they can write an ordinance that will not violate it. Let's see what they are trying now.

2. You are not protesting, you are a resident speaking your opinion. No need to be confrontational. Once you know what the proposal says, you can work on an educated response.

3. My opinion, if you OC, you will become a side show. Nothing you say will be taken seriously. Leave it at home, or conceal it deeply. You want your message to be heard. OC would be a distraction.

(Bucks County)

I'd ask the solicitor for his opinion of the ordinance violating the PA UFA. I'd also ask what the impact to the township would be if the ordnance was challenged. How far would the township go to defend the ordnance and what would the costs to the tax payers be?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgmwatkins View Post
    Ok, so what am I missing? They are trying to ban firearms correct? I have not seen an ordinance on line stating that.

I have already sent them a letter stating they are violating the state law.

Am I off??

I don't know what is in the proposed ordinance - do you? If I were involved I would make it a point to see what is included in the proposal just as a matter of "doing my homework" before engaging in a debate.

OTOH you could simply expound on 18 Pa CS 6120 but there has always been an unanswered question as to it's scope within the context of a municipalities ability to exercise some 'property rights' similar to those afforded to non-governmental actors.

You might want to get some historical data to support your position such as:

http://articles.philly.com/2011-05-2...m-firearms-act

then there's a counter argument by Chester County (read the entire enclosing thread of):

http://forum.pafoa.org/chester-16/91...ml#post1894399

To the best of my knowledge, the Chester County ordinance remains on the books:

SECTION 31. Firearms, hatchets and knives, etc. on county real estate No person shall: A. Bring into or upon County real estate , nor have in his or her possession, nor discharge, or set off anywhere upon said properties, a revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, air rifle, air gun, water gun, or any gun, rifle, firearm, or bow or other weapon that discharges projectiles either by air, e xplosive substance or by any other force. Except that this section shall not apply to any deputy sheriff, police officer, peace officer, park employee or other duly appointed law enforcement officer while carrying out the duties and responsibilities of hi s or her position nor to any person while on or in those areas which may from time to time be designated as hunting areas by the Department or while upon designated target ranges or areas. B. Possess any type of knife, hatchet or ax unless engaged in camping for an appropriate use. C. Possess any of the above items in this section; otherwise the park employee or law enforcement officer shall confiscate any article or weapon in the possession of any person which is in violation of this section.
    A lot will depend on the advice of the township solicitor. The more ammo you have supporting your position and the more knowledge of what ammo he may bring to bear against you can only aid your case.
    IANAL

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast