Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Savage 29-A Rimfire Pump Action Checkered Stock

I forgot to post the rest of the range trip pics/vids last week!

Next to the rifle range is a pistol caliber "steel paradise" range.
    Shown is a portion of it.

plink! plink! plink! plink!

Click image for short video
    This one was funny because there's brass bouncing off the table by the camera...

Firing a little faster...

Fun little gun. I highly recommend getting one.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

You made me jealous when you started this thread. I've wanted an old "gallery gun" for a long time but never found "just the right one" until the gun show last weekend. There it was, a Remington Model 12 for a decent price, fully functional and full of character.
    It's missing a forend screw that's easily obtainable from Numrich and the butt plate is broken, there's a piece of it missing. Numrich has a replacement but it has the UMC logo rather than "Remington". That's OK, I wanted a shooter, not a collectible and it's plenty shootable as is. The wood is in pretty nice condition, not all scratched and dinged, the bluing is........... (What's bluing?. OK, I said it has character), it's been around for a long time and it shows, but it hasn't been severely beat, I got it for what I thought was a fair price and it's exactly what I wanted, a shooter. I'm not afraid to take it out and let my grandkids shoot it.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, I love new-fangled shiny stuff. But, it's the older guns - the ones with character and history - that make me smile more often than not. I can't help but get a little nostalgic when I see a well loved old rifle that still shoots as well as the day it was made. Makes you want to say "Hey beautiful. What's your story?"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    You made me jealous when you started this thread. I've wanted an old "gallery gun" for a long time but never found "just the right one" until the gun show last weekend. There it was, a Remington Model 12 for a decent price, fully functional and full of character.
    It's missing a forend screw that's easily obtainable from Numrich and the butt plate is broken, there's a piece of it missing. Numrich has a replacement but it has the UMC logo rather than "Remington". That's OK, I wanted a shooter, not a collectible and it's plenty shootable as is. The wood is in pretty nice condition, not all scratched and dinged, the bluing is........... (What's bluing?. OK, I said it has character), it's been around for a long time and it shows, but it hasn't been severely beat, I got it for what I thought was a fair price and it's exactly what I wanted, a shooter. I'm not afraid to take it out and let my grandkids shoot it.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post

Yes Very Nice

(Lebanon County)

I had it out for some fresh air today, it's great.
    I was shooting standard velocity and subsonic ammo to take it easy on the ol' girl, (Near as I can figure by the numbers stamped on it, it was made in August 1924).
    I have a few bricks of standard velocity and subsonic ammo so I'm set for a while but I'll be getting more ASAP, hopefully tomorrow. (LGS ususlly has it in stock, limit of one brick per customer per day and it's $39.95 +tax).
    I had a Winchester 72 and my Ruger Charger with me too. The Charger is a lot of fun for shooting golf balls at 25 and 50 yards but there's something special about those classic old rifles that make them even more fun to shoot, even if it's just paper or pieces of clay pigeons picked up from the trap range. I do have a problem with open sights though; If I have my glasses on I can see the rear sight and almost see the front sight, the target is a blur. Without the glasses I can see the target just fine, can almost see the front sight and have to guess at the rear sight. The grooved receivers for scope rings on .22 rifles are great but I wish they would have been introduced a few years earlier. My Model 72 has the grooved receiver but it was made in the 1940s. (Don't worry folks, I'm not going to have the Rem. Model 12 drilled and tapped for mounts, the grandkids have good eyes, they can learn to use open sights with that one.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Allegheny County)

Haven't updated this thread in years.

Was shooting it today at the group shoot and some people seemed thrown by how quiet it was - like I was shooting something suppressed.
    Nope, just CCI "Quiet 22" ammo. Cool stuff!
    I bought it a while ago and kept forgetting to test it to see how quiet it is. I alternated a tube of 22LR and you could definitely hear the difference between standard 22LR ammo.

Anyway, here's another photo. Still as cool as ever. Love this little gem.

(Elk County)

A great, robust, classic 22 pump, EM. Congrats!

Noah

(Armstrong County)

Yup, its the barrel length. My Remington 121 is the same way.

A member on another board used a long barrel blank and a homemade receiver, a sound meter, and a chronograph and kept chopping 1" off at a time while testing. Barrel is so long that some ammo will loose velocity due to friction and the short pressure pulse and gas uncorking at such a delayed time.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Westmoreland County)

Nice rifle EM. A few years back I picked up this Winchester 62A takedown 22-LR. S\N shows it was made in 1947. The rifle had been "rode hard and put away wet" (I think) it's entire life!! When I grabbed the stock & forend, my hands would actually stick to the wood from the years of grime. However, I cleaned up all the metal, and the wood....but I did put a few coats of True-Oil on post-clean up as the wood was simply "bare."

The rifle shoots as well (which is very good) as my "nice shape" Winchester 22-LR lever rifles.

5RVzCsv.jpg

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast