Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default Re: Savage 29-A Rimfire Pump Action Checkered Stock

Awesome little 22!!
    I picked up a Rem 121 last year. I was actually looking for Rem 572 to chop and thread to run with a can. I never did find one for the price i wanted, and then forgot about it. But i cant bring myself to cut the 121.

You had mentioned about running shorts.....get ready for some fun when you do.
    I did a side by side test with a my integrally suppressed 77/22 and the Rem 121, shooting CCI Quiets and CCI Subs. I think they sound the same. The 25" barrel must really take the velocity down with the friction of having to travel a country mile to exit the bore.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    When these rifles were made, I think "high capacity" was a a concept still several decades into the future, so I highly doubt it.
    That is true but on the other hand you have tube fed rifles like the Marlin 60 which offered a 18 round tube all the way back in 1960, however it's probably a much younger rifle than yours too. I wonder if your rifle would be compatible with a tube from another rimfire 22 rifle? I am just rambling though as I don't expect you to experiment on such an antique.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Allegheny County)

Well, I can tell you that the model 29 and the 29A have different internals when I compare what is on the video (model 29 vid on Youtube) to what I pulled out of mine.

It was close, but not the same.

I just broke it down into the 3 main parts and didn't take the trigger group out of the stock, nor did I remove the pump.

Scrubbed it all up and gave every metal surface a light coat of Weapon Shield. Typical of rimfires, the action had lots of crud in it, but the barrel wasn't bad. Ran a patch through, followed by a few passes with a brass brush, and it quickly ran clean with the dry patch before running a patch with some lube through to finish.
    I took a quick glance in the barrel, but was distracted by the phone ringing and never did go back to inspect it closely before reassembling it. From what I recall, the barrel looked nice.

Now I just need to find some time to go and shoot it.

(and yes, I took pics both pre, and post-crud. )
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Went to the range today. Shoots good!

I took a small assortment of ammo with me and found that it would sometimes hang up when loaded with both Win Super X hollow point and Rem Golden Bullet hollow point ammo.
    The round nose Fed "Lightning" and round nose Blazer all fed smoothly and without fail - as did the Rem Golden Bullets in .22 Short.

At 50 yards it seems to be more capable of accuracy than I am. I only fired it while standing and resting my support arm against a post.
    I didn't have "tight" groups, but I did note that most hits were pretty consistent.
    I'll have to sit down with a rest and a spotting scope to see if I need to tweak the sights a bit, but it's not off by much.

The action wasn't "buttery smooth", but the "throw" IS nice, and short.
    chik-chik CRACK! chik-chik CRACK! chik-chik CRACK!

I still have no idea how many rounds it is intended to hold in the tube, but I once loaded, and fired 15 rds of LR without issue.
    The rest of the time I only loaded 12/13 just in case more would be detrimental to the spring in the tube.

(Allegheny County)

I'm free most Thursdays.. if ya need a Spotter

(Allegheny County)

This IS a "picture thread", so...

These didn't feed reliably. Maybe 2 in 12 would hang up when operating the pump.

Winchester Super X did the same thing...

Both of these ran flawlessly. Is it a round nose vs hollow point issue? I'll keep testing...

I didn't shoot much at the 50 yard target. I was mainly checking the rifle for function today.
    I didn't have a spotting scope and couldn't see where I was hitting without walking back and forth, so I'll try that again another time.

I seemed to be hitting right and a little low. I couldn't even see the circles when aiming.

The target to the left was .22 shorts.

Next post - shooting at steel...

(Jefferson County)

Is it suffering from the Marlin disease? ...letting a second cartridge try to slip on the elevator/lifter when chambering a fresh round?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Is it suffering from the Marlin disease? ...letting a second cartridge try to slip on the elevator/lifter when chambering a fresh round?

I think that may have happened a few times. Being unfamiliar with the design, I don't really know exactly what is happening when things go wrong, but at least twice I noted two rounds were "in there" when I looked into the ejection port on the side.
    Once I was able to shake out one of the rounds and the other was still where it needed to be and was able to be chambered by moving the pump forward after the "loose" round was removed.

I was shooting it somewhat rapidly when this happened, so I don't know if that was a factor.

Whoah, wait a minute, what's that knob for? Mine has a bolt in it's place, but no knob. Works fine either way, but now my curiosity is stoked....
    Hold the Line...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Whoah, wait a minute, what's that knob for? Mine has a bolt in it's place, but no knob. Works fine either way, but now my curiosity is stoked....
    I thought I addressed this earlier.

By turning it to the right it increases the "power" of the 22 round for taking larger game.
    By turning it to the left, it reduces the velocity for shooting things like squirrels.

OK, I just made that up. It's a "take down" knob. You can break it into two parts by unscrewing it - by hand.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast