Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Saiga 12 questions

Hello,

I was just hoping that some people could give me some info on the saiga 12 shotgun. If anyone has ever owned or shot one some info would be great. Mainly wondering about their reliability, how well made they are. Also curious about the 25 round drum mags I have seen for them, how reliable are those, and how difficult is it to operate/maneuver the gun while using one. Also which companies make them and how they compare. I would have just googled it but I trust the information that people on here give me more then random websites.

I know I just asked a lot of questions but if anyone can drop some knowledge on me that would be great.

Thanks everyone,

Bob G

Default Re: Saiga 12 questions

I have one and love it. Been reliable since day one with cheap bulk birdshot and 00buck and slugs. As for the drum mags i don't use any or have any. I use 5, 10,12rd single stack mags All have worked really well for me. The gun is based off a ak pretty much works the same way. If u can work a ak than u can work a s12. Mine is made by Izhmash and imported by Russian American Amory Company. Not sure if they import them but i'm sure u can find one or similar. I did the conversion to mine moved the fcg forward and also the grip changed the stock also.

(Lehigh County)

They are well made in the sense that they are extremely durable, but they are not finely finished. Reliability our of the box can be hit or miss, but they can be made to run perfectly with little work. I put 200 rounds of Federal bulk through mine with only one or two failures to eject. After I converted it (AK style furniture, moved trigger forward) it would not run reliably. I ended up enlarging the gas ports and adding a self regulating gas plug and now it runs anything I put in it again. It is a heavy gun. People love to shit on Promag, but my Promag stick and drum mags work great. I sold off my SGM mags during the panic, I honestly think the Promags are made better, but I never had problems with any mag I put in the gun.

I don't know if any new ones are coming in, Izhmash is going through bankruptcy. I think Izhmash and Molot are being combined to form a new company called Kalasnikov, it will be interesting to see what comes out of that. Oh don't forget to include the Molot VEPR 12 in your search, they are generally considered to be of slightly higher quality than the Saiga.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. It sort of sounds like some gun smithing in normally necessary on these things. Does anyone ever get luck and just get a bone stock one the functions flawlessly?

mine has run pretty darn good from the start. I got maybe 2 or 3 failure to eject and thats about it over a few thousand rounds. I ran at least 1k rounds through it before i did my conversion. Once done and after the 922r addons it still eats anything i put in it. I am still running stock gas puck. I did polish a few bits and peices while doing the conversion just to make it even smoother but it really wasn't needed. Here is a pic before and after conversion.

Last edited by Normlizer; November 11th, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Normlizer View Post
    mine has run pretty darn good from the start. I got maybe 2 or 3 failure to eject and thats about it over a few thousand rounds. I ran at least 1k rounds through it before i did my conversion. Once done and after the 922r addons it still eats anything i put in it. I am still running stock gas puck. I did polish a few bits and peices while doing the conversion just to make it even smoother but it really wasn't needed. Here is a pic before and after conversion.

Thats a really nice piece you got there, thanks for the advice. I suppose I will pick one up and just hope that I get a winner. If not I know some people who are very good are working with firearms that I am sure will help me out

Not sure how much they are now. I got mine for little over 500 when there was that big scare they might get banned. Just make sure to run a few different kinds of ammo through it to make sure if functions before doing any mods to it.

(Cumberland County)

It is an outstanding firearm. Not as nice looking as VEPR 12, for example, but much cheaper. I highly recommend converting it, as it just feels much nicer.
    I also recommend putting in a reliability kit like this:
    http://www.carolinashooterssupply.co...abilty-kit.htm

As far as mags go, SGM 10-round mags have worked very well for me.
    I do have a drum, but honestly, it is very bulky, heavy, and I just don't like it.

One thing to keep in mind- production standards are very "loose", so any mag you get may need some minor adjustments to fit properly. My SGMs fit OK, but Promag drum did not.

It is FUN to shoot.

If you have the money and like your guns to be just perfect and smooth right outside the box, buy a VEPR. If your budget is lower and you don't mind "tinkering" with your guns, Saiga is the way to go. Either way- you won't regret your purchase.

(Blair County)

I've owned 3, one was bone stock still, one I bought "converted" and one that I've done all sorts of work to.

The older guns worked straight out of the box most of the time. There were some quality control problems around 2011 with some barrels that didn't have enough holes drilled in them.

25 round drums? I've used MD-20s, AGP 10s, Surefire 12s, Promag 10s, Russian 2, 5 and 8 round mags. I haven't seen 25 round mags, but I haven't been looking recently. As far as MD-20s go I can't outcycle them, but I can dump one in about 4 seconds. I didn't care for the Surfire 12s, if they are cut back to 10 rounds they work pretty good. The 20 round drum is bulky and will add weight to the gun but really 20 rounds of 12 gauge isn't going to be light.

Fit and finish is typical "AK". Rough but functional. I actually had touched mine up with a black sharpie before i had it refinished.

Overall its fun, and dependable. If you have something else specific just let me know
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

There is a 30 round drum. I'm not going to benefit the company by mentioning their name, but I figured since you mentioned it you can know they exist. They are way over priced. You can Google it and find it or I'm sure scoutjoe remembers. Be warned it can become addictive. But it is almost guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

There are about to be new steel mags hit the market some time in the future, I have tested one and it's an 8 round mag. Mine runs like beast!
    Last edited by beefcakeb0; November 14th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast