Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Pics put me in research ,why ?

Pics put me on research today and it's not my first pistol that I purchased ?
    I'm baffled ?
    My last name is common and I also put my ss on the form .
    Any input would be great
    Last edited by Her9852; November 9th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Were you wearing 5.11 pants?I make you guys all the time.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Pics put me in research ,why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Her9852 View Post
    Pics put me on research today and it's not my first pistol that I purchased ?
    I'm baffled ?
    My last name is common and I also put my ss on the form .
    Any input would be great
    Did you use the search button? A lot of people have had similar experience's and asked the same question. Here are two threads, of many thread's, that I found and a good explanation from X-ring shooter.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/154...ase-delay.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/769...-list-wtf.html

X-ring shooter's response:

Hope this helps clear things up.

Research Response
    Certain situations will prevent a background check from being approved or denied at the time of the initial call. Possible circumstances which may result in a transaction being delayed for research include: Potentially prohibiting records that require additional information or clarification, poor response time on a particular database, or a database that is temporarily out of service. If this condition occurs, the FFL calling the PICS will be informed that the background check cannot be completed at this time and that more research must be done before a final determination can be made. The FFL should then inform the customer of the situation.

Under research status, the firearm dealer cannot let the prospective purchaser or transferee take possession of any firearm. It should be noted that every effort is made to complete research on an individual as soon as possible. Immediately upon completion of the research, the operator is required to call the dealer to give the final decision. It may take as long as 15 days for an operator to obtain the information needed to provide a final decision.

A Pennsylvania firearm dealer cannot transfer a firearm to a non-licensee until the receive an approval number from a PICS representative.

Researched Approvals
    As soon as an operator determines that an individual placed in research may be approved they will contact the dealer. Once an approval number is given to a dealer it is only good until the close of business on the day it is given. In most case, the customer is no longer in the store so the dealer is given the option to call back for the approval number after he has contacted the customer. Under these circumstances, the approval number will be held a maximum of one week. Therefore, if a dealer is called Monday with an approval, the number will be held until midnight the following Monday. If the dealer is unable to contact the customer within this time frame, a new background check must be initiated.

So, you can see that it could be a number of things that put you into "research".

(Erie County)

Must be the "beady eyes" on your drivers license photo.

(Wayne County)

You been threatening your elected officals on the phone again? You ever see a shrink, Obuma with the wave of his hand just added 63 million people to the data base.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicodendron11 View Post
    Did you use the search button? A lot of people have had similar experience's and asked the same question. Here are two threads, of many thread's, that I found and a good explanation from X-ring shooter.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/154...ase-delay.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/769...-list-wtf.html

X-ring shooter's response:

Hope this helps clear things up.

Research Response
    Certain situations will prevent a background check from being approved or denied at the time of the initial call. Possible circumstances which may result in a transaction being delayed for research include: Potentially prohibiting records that require additional information or clarification, poor response time on a particular database, or a database that is temporarily out of service. If this condition occurs, the FFL calling the PICS will be informed that the background check cannot be completed at this time and that more research must be done before a final determination can be made. The FFL should then inform the customer of the situation.

Under research status, the firearm dealer cannot let the prospective purchaser or transferee take possession of any firearm. It should be noted that every effort is made to complete research on an individual as soon as possible. Immediately upon completion of the research, the operator is required to call the dealer to give the final decision. It may take as long as 15 days for an operator to obtain the information needed to provide a final decision.

A Pennsylvania firearm dealer cannot transfer a firearm to a non-licensee until the receive an approval number from a PICS representative.

Researched Approvals
    As soon as an operator determines that an individual placed in research may be approved they will contact the dealer. Once an approval number is given to a dealer it is only good until the close of business on the day it is given. In most case, the customer is no longer in the store so the dealer is given the option to call back for the approval number after he has contacted the customer. Under these circumstances, the approval number will be held a maximum of one week. Therefore, if a dealer is called Monday with an approval, the number will be held until midnight the following Monday. If the dealer is unable to contact the customer within this time frame, a new background check must be initiated.

So, you can see that it could be a number of things that put you into "research".

I know the sop . I just don't understand why now I go into a research after so many purchases ?
    I didn't bother using the search button ,I will make use of it in the future .
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    You been threatening your elected officals on the phone again? You ever see a shrink, Obuma with the wave of his hand just added 63 million people to the data base.
    No never .
    Data base ?
    Last edited by Her9852; November 9th, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

(Franklin County)

Is this the first purchase you have tried to make since posting on PAFOA?

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Is this the first purchase you have tried to make since posting on PAFOA?
    Yes first purchase at about 4pm
    This has happend before about 1 1/2 years ago at my first gun purchase .
    Guy was in the phone for 25 mins .
    My pics always takes about 15-20 mins .
    Last timeout was out in research they waited the full 15 days ,since then I've haven't been put in research and just recently have gotten my nfa items .

(Bucks County)

I was almost delayed recently for a FTF transfer of a long gun from a NJ resident to me at a PA FFL. Got an operator (LGS clerk said it sounded like it was her first day) and was about to be put in research when she asked "Wait, what is the state of birth?" Once he responded she un-delayed it and approved me.

I was baffled, but not surprised by the randomness of the situation. My guess is it has something to do with me being born in NJ, although that's never been an issue before and I have never lived in NJ, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    I was almost delayed recently for a FTF transfer of a long gun from a NJ resident to me at a PA FFL. Got an operator (LGS clerk said it sounded like it was her first day) and was about to be put in research when she asked "Wait, what is the state of birth?" Once he responded she un-delayed it and approved me.

I was baffled, but not surprised by the randomness of the situation. My guess is it has something to do with me being born in NJ, although that's never been an issue before and I have never lived in NJ, ever.
    Funny you mention that a lady was on the phone was new cause sounded like mine was new , the ffl had to repeat him self a couple of times .
    I know it has nothing to do with my background .
    I'm betting it has something to do with either my last name or didn't have enough time to properly find me in the system , don't understand I put my ss on there ?.
    Should be very easy.
    My last name is very very common .

(Centre County)

Did you not read what I originally posted in another thread? The PICS accesses a number of databases, both within and outside of PA. If ANY don't respond it the time allotted, this raises a flag to the PICS operator and they then have to do a rerun on that database. If for some reason that database is down, you go into research. Your info then goes to the people at the Firearms Unit that are tasked with the "investigation" of those that get placed into research. Once everything is cleared up the FFL gets a call from the investigator and if okayed, the FFL gets the approval number. If denied, then the FFL briefs the person what the nest steps are.

You can also be put into research if anything else flags the system. Maybe someone got into trouble and a clerk somewhere put the wrong info in the wrong place and it accidently got put into your record. That is why anyone going into research gets assigned an investigator to do the search to see why you were flagged. Many times it DOES take the full 15 days. I had one that took 16 days. On day 15 the investigator called me to ask if they could have one more day. Everything was straightened out but it was so late that they needed to go into the next day (day 16) to get the approval number.

I've had people go into research and an hour later get approved. I had people go into research and got denied 8 days later (due to a transgression that happened in another state years ago and they had to determine if it translated into a prohibiter in PA - it did).

For both research and denials, the FFL NEVER gets told why it went to research or why someone is denied so it doesn't do any good to ask him, he just doesn't know.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast