Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Pics put me in research ,why ?

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If your buyer fails the background check, you aren't getting it back until you clear PICS yourself.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    As long as it isn*t stolen you will be fine!
    It's an old rifle. I actually bought it off a middle aged woman that inherited it who had no interest in guns.(Worked with her at the time) So no clue as the amount of previous owners but with that being said I doubt it's stolen. That being said I did buy it as a private sale, is it a typical thing to call or email to make sure the serial isn't stolen?
    I should clarify: Is it a typical thing for a individual to call or email PA state police or whomever to make sure a gun isn't stolen.
    Last edited by virus22x; March 6th, 2021 at 03:53 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by virus22x View Post
    Good point.

It's an old rifle. I actually bought it off a middle aged woman that inherited it who had no interest in guns.(Worked with her at the time) So no clue as the amount of previous owners but with that being said I doubt it's stolen. That being said I did buy it as a private sale, is it a typical thing to call or email to make sure the serial isn't stolen?
    No. Dealers do not check to see if they are stolen.

The only way a rifle/shotgun is made known to be stolen is if the legal owner reports it and an investigation traces the gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No. Dealers do not check to see if they are stolen.

The only way a rifle/shotgun is made known to be stolen is if the legal owner reports it and an investigation traces the gun.
    Thanks man!
    (Also sorry for the slight derail of the thread.)

(Montgomery County)

I was put into research yesterday when trying to purchase a revolver from another forum member. I*ve been buying guns for around 15 years and this is the first time it has ever happened - no changes at all to my record since my last purchase. The approval came back in around 5 minutes but I obviously wasn*t thrilled that it happened. My question is, since this happened once, will I now go into research for every purchase? Any insight would be appreciated.
    Last edited by JLeahy; April 17th, 2021 at 05:27 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JLeahy View Post
    I was put into research yesterday when trying to purchase a revolver from another forum member. I*ve been buying and selling guns for around 15 years and this is the first time it has ever happened - no changes at all to my record since my last purchase. The approval came back in around 5 minutes but I obviously wasn*t thrilled that it happened. My question is, since this happened once, will I now go into research for every purchase? Any insight would be appreciated.
    Did you go into RESEARCH or is that what the FFL told you? How was the PICS done, phone or computer? If by computer, you can go into PENDING and the delay (several minutes up to several hours) is the time it takes to have your info go to a PICS operator to make sure everything is ok and then they issue the Approval. If you actually went into RESEARCH, the operator OR the computer screen would say that and PICS then has up to 15 days to do the investigation and the FFL would have to wait for a phone call from PICS or he would have to go into the status screen to get the Approval number.

In my 24+years of doing PICS checks I have never seen a decision on a person in RESEARCH come back in less than 48 hrs.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Did you go into RESEARCH or is that what the FFL told you? How was the PICS done, phone or computer? If by computer, you can go into PENDING and the delay (several minutes up to several hours) is the time it takes to have your info go to a PICS operator to make sure everything is ok and then they issue the Approval. If you actually went into RESEARCH, the operator OR the computer screen would say that and PICS then has up to 15 days to do the investigation and the FFL would have to wait for a phone call from PICS or he would have to go into the status screen to get the Approval number.

In my 24+years of doing PICS checks I have never seen a decision on a person in RESEARCH come back in less than 48 hrs.
    The background check was done on the computer. And after reading your post it is very possible the FFL said pending and I just confused the two. As stated previously I never had any hiccup*s at all so it made me a little nervous about delays during future purchases.

(Bucks County)

Day 14. I got approved. All good.

(Montgomery County)

So if a PICS check is done by phone and not completed before the FFL hangs up, does that mean it is then in *research*? Reason I ask is I ran into a similar delay again today that I had last month except this time is was called in versus on the computer. This was at 8am this morning and have yet to hear back from the FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JLeahy View Post
    So if a PICS check is done by phone and not completed before the FFL hangs up, does that mean it is then in *research*? Reason I ask is I ran into a similar delay again today that I had last month except this time is was called in versus on the computer. This was at 8am this morning and have yet to hear back from the FFL.
    When called in on the automated line, if the approval does not come back immediately, the FFL will be transfered to a PICS Operator where he will be asked some questions. Once those questions are answered he will be put on hold while the operator does whatever they need to do. The operator should then come back on the line with either an approval number or say that the person is denied, undetermined or placed in research. The operator will give the FFL his/her first name and will verify the FFL's phone number so the FFL can be called back when the status changes.

If the FFL got the "Hold for the next available operator" message and didn't talk to an operator quick enough to suit him and he hung up, then HE has to call back in and answer a question (date of birth) about the person he wants to get the status for and wait for an operator to come on the line so he can talk to the operator and get the status of this person.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

How does one get a job being a "PICS Operator"? Just curious.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast