Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Pics put me in research ,why ?

The PSP PICS manual says 15 days, not "15 business days" and from experiences with individuals who went into "Research" the time period was 15 calendar days. In fact I got a call on one on day 15 (about 8pm) and the operator said he had been approved but they needed 1 more day to finish the paperwork and asked if that was ok. I said yes and they called me the next day when I opened with the approval number.

If you go into "Undetermined" you then fill out the challenge form (your dealer should give you the form) and the PSP is supposed to respond in writing within 5 days of getting the completed challenge form and will give a final decision within 60 days (calendar) of the receipt of the valid challenge form.

The PICS unit WILL NOT give you or the dealer any information, at that point you have to talk to the PSP.

The DEALER can call PICS about an individual who has been placed in "Research" but typically the PICS operator will not give an information other than it is in process - UNLESS the operator asks for more info that the dealer may have about the individual.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Thanks for the information, I do appreciate it. SO just sit tight until day 15 and take it from there.
    Question... what happens to the firearm? I bought it in OH and had it transferred. Can my wife fill out the paperwork and assumingly she passes, able to complete the transfer?

(Centre County)

DON'T do that, that would give a strong appearance of a straw purchase. A good FFL wouldn't go along with it.

The gun just gets held at the dealers location until everything has run it's course.

If for some reason you are denied, do the challenge form and make sure you fill it out COMPLETELY, everything you put on the form only helps you and makes things easier for the PSP to do the investigation quicker.

If you get denied by the PSP, they will tell you exactly why. If you know something is wrong with what they found I believe you can appeal to the PSP and submit more info. If not, then you will have to get a good firearms lawyer involved to get things straightened out. The FFL will then give you the options for dealing with the gun. You could return it to the seller, sell it to the FFL or put it on consignment with the FFL. If you know someone who wanted it you can sell it and have the FFL do the transfer after you assure him that the buyer is not going to turn around and give it back to you. Many FFLs will not want to do this as it is just too iffy (straw purchase wise).

(York County)

Here’s one - I’m currently in research. 1st handgun purchase. I was put into research on the 25th of Nov. today is the 17th of December. After a TON of research I confirmed that they have 15 days (NOT BUSINESS DAYS- consecutive days minus holidays) So today makes 19 days. I had my FFL call pics yesterday to get an update..... apparently they “requested a 15 day extension” while they wait for further info.
    They never notified anyone.... what’s the deal here? Anyone ever heard of this “extension thing? Is it legit, or did some lazy ass drop the ball? I think it’s BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddybritches View Post
    Here*s one - I*m currently in research. 1st handgun purchase. I was put into research on the 25th of Nov. today is the 17th of December. After a TON of research I confirmed that they have 15 days (NOT BUSINESS DAYS- consecutive days minus holidays) So today makes 19 days. I had my FFL call pics yesterday to get an update..... apparently they *requested a 15 day extension* while they wait for further info.
    They never notified anyone.... what*s the deal here? Anyone ever heard of this *extension thing? Is it legit, or did some lazy ass drop the ball? I think it*s BS.
    Several possible reasons. First purchase = no base record , prohibited person with same/similar name , identity theft ,
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Centre County)

Some lazy ass dropped the ball (PICS or your FFL). PICS should have called your FFL on day 15 to explain what was going on and should have asked if they can go longer - and give the reason why they needed extra time. I had one hit day 15 and they called me and told me they needed 1 more day to finish the paperwork (he was approved). I called my customer and got his ok and called PICS with the go ahead. Either PICS screwed up and "forgot" to call or they called and your FFL just gave them the ok without getting the details from PICS and didn't call you.

(York County)

I understand this, and is the case often.... buuuuut my real name is Shadd ( 47 yr old red blooded American vet before you judge) so I HIGHLY doubt it’s a name thing. I personally think it’s because it was entered the day before thanksgiving, they dropped the ball. I slipped thru and now they are just like “whatever.... lie to him and start the process”. I don’t think they even knew I was in the system until my FFL called 17 days later , which is also bullsh#t. And I’m prob just aggravated and 100% wrong on all this lol. I dunno, I’ll update if/when I hear something. Thank you everyone for the input!

(Lancaster County)

I understand this, and is the case often.... buuuuut my real name is Shadd ( 47 yr old red blooded American vet before you judge) so I HIGHLY doubt it*s a name thing. I personally think it*s because it was entered the day before thanksgiving, they dropped the ball. I slipped thru and now they are just like *whatever.... lie to him and start the process*. I don*t think they even knew I was in the system until my FFL called 17 days later , which is also bullsh#t. And I*m prob just aggravated and 100% wrong on all this lol. I dunno, I*ll update if/when I hear something. Thank you everyone for the input!
    Me too.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Juniata County)

I understand this, and is the case often.... buuuuut my real name is Shadd ( 47 yr old red blooded American vet before you judge) so I HIGHLY doubt it*s a name thing. I personally think it*s because it was entered the day before thanksgiving, they dropped the ball. I slipped thru and now they are just like *whatever.... lie to him and start the process*. I don*t think they even knew I was in the system until my FFL called 17 days later , which is also bullsh#t. And I*m prob just aggravated and 100% wrong on all this lol. I dunno, I*ll update if/when I hear something. Thank you everyone for the input!
    I dunno. Name sounds awful Canadian.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Mine finally approved. Day 11, got the call from the FFL, went to finish the transfer and if they apologized once it was 5 times.

Maybe there is something with the holidays? I say this because while I was standing there, three peeps had theirs back while they were finishing my paperwork. When they processed mine (just days after t-day) they were averaging more than three hours per person.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast