Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Winchester SX1 Charging Handle

Just acquired a Winchester Super X1 that I'm making a restoration project out of. Really nice gun that I'm super stoked to add to my collection. Before this, I've never owned an autoloading shotgun, so I don't know anything about them.

My question relates to charging handles. I fabricated an oversized charging handle that weighs about 2oz, will that extra weight damage the gun or prevent it from cycling properly?

Also, when the manufacturer said it's "self-compensating", what does that really mean? Can it shoot buckshot without modification?

Thanks in advance for any replies I might receive.
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

Default Re: Winchester SX1 Charging Handle

It is self compensating, so the little extra weight of the charging handle probably won't affect it. It is not that much, and the violence of the action in stock trim just doesn't warrant alarm for the little bit extra, IMO. Self compensating simply means you do not have to adjust anything when you shoot soft rounds verses hot ones. The gun automatically does it for you. In a 1911, you can adjust recoil and cycling by changing the recoil spring which will let the gun cycle optimally no matter how soft or hot the ammo is. You do not have to do any of that with a self compensating SG.
    Last edited by harold63; November 14th, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.