Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Anyone shoot a Double Tap pistol? Advice wanted...

Anybody see one of these Double Tap Pistols? My LGS has one in .45 ACP. I simply cannot imagine what the recoil would do to your hand.

I am looking for a pistol that I can put in my pants pocket or hooded sweat shirt pouch without the need of a holster.

Suggestions to that effect and/or comment on the Double Tap (link below) are much appreciated.

http://www.doubletapdefense.com/

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anyone shoot a Double Tap pistol? Advice wanted...

I was on a business trip to Indiana this earlier year and a shop we stopped at had them. I had heard/read about them before but never had a chance to see one up close. I didn't shoot one but man, they are a very thin, flat gun. But if I recall, they actually had a little weight to them.
    The shop had a 9mm, and 45ACP, and there was little difference between the two. The 45 may be a bit much to shoot (I would think) but the 9mm would easily fall under the KelTec/Ruger LCP type of recoil.
    Grab a ClipDraw (www.clipdraw.com) to attach to that thing, and you would have an easily concealable BUG.
    If I'm not mistaken, you also have room in the handle of the gun for extra bullets (1 or 2).
    The price at the shop seemed very high. But that was the case with all of their selection.
    I wouldn't mind having one in my collection but I would want to get it at a better price than I seen in Indy.

Hope this helped :-)

(Chester County)

Strictly a belly gun of not a lot use other than a last resort. Recoil is going to feel similar to whacking a steel pipe against a steel pole i.e. a discomforting vibrating tingly pain. Not as bad as you think.

(Bucks County)

There is a YouTube video on this gun. The employees of the gun/pawn shop were betting each other on who could tolerate firing it 10 times. Apparently the recoil was quite brutal. I will add the link if I find it. If you are looking strictly for pocket gun it would fit the bill, but I think you could probably find better alternatives.

here's the link Entertaining if not informative.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoPLs8qw-P4
    Last edited by PA-Pilot; November 8th, 2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added link

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Anybody see one of these Double Tap Pistols? My LGS has one in .45 ACP. I simply cannot imagine what the recoil would do to your hand.

I am looking for a pistol that I can put in my pants pocket or hooded sweat shirt pouch without the need of a holster.

Suggestions to that effect and/or comment on the Double Tap (link below) are much appreciated.

http://www.doubletapdefense.com/
    If you want something small that holds 5+1 instead get the micro eagle. amazingly reliable gun.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Pilot View Post
    There is a YouTube video on this gun. The employees of the gun/pawn shop were betting each other on who could tolerate firing it 10 times. Apparently the recoil was quite brutal. I will add the link if I find it. If you are looking strictly for pocket gun it would fit the bill, but I think you could probably find better alternatives.

here's the link Entertaining if not informative.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoPLs8qw-P4

Just saw one last night in LGS...thought it was kind of a useless item. It holds the two rounds and you can put two more in the handle as mentioned above. You have to manually extract the shells after firing it as well.

The guy working there that showed it to me had just shot one in 9mm recently and it left his hand sore and bruised. And this is a guy who shoots a lot of competition, so it isn't as if he is inexperienced or only has experience with one or two firearms.

Like I said, I find it to be a pretty useless firearm, more of a novelty. For the size and weight, I would go with an LCP or Bodyguard and have a few extra rounds that I can quickly reload a magazine in if I had to.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    The guy working there that showed it to me had just shot one in 9mm recently and it left his hand sore and bruised. And this is a guy who shoots a lot of competition, so it isn't as if he is inexperienced or only has experience with one or two firearms.
    Haha, that was AJ, 5 gun IDPA Master.. yeah he knows how to hold a gun and shoot it sometimes.

He still has the sore on his hand from it, and he shot it last week.. said at 7 yards or less he couldn't consistently hit the down zero on a target. trigger pull was different for each shot.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Allegheny County)

Seems Double Tap's have issues,this guy was injured while shooting his.

more info: http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...ol-45-acp.html

Last edited by K.C.; November 9th, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582