Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NJ Strikes Again

Jets RB Mike Goodson Indicted

The Morris County (N.J.) Prosecutor's Office announced that Goodson was indicted on second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon after he was found in a car with a Taurus .45-caliber handgun loaded with an illegal hollow-point bullet. Goodson, 26, was also indicted with possessing the bullet, commonly known as a "cop killer" because it can penetrate body armor, which is a serious offense [max 10 years] in New Jersey.
    <More At The Link>

So a hollow point in .45 ACP can penetrate body armor? News to me. I'm wondering what body armor they are using. Must be some pretty low end stuff. 45 ACP at 900 fps won't penetrate ANY body armor I'm familiar with.

Catchy name, "cop killer" bullets. Maybe someone will use it in their marketing campaign.

Illegal to own PD/SD ammo in Jersey (unless of course you are LE). Some animals are equal, just some are more equal than others.

So this tale tells us a few things:

NJ is occupied territory (but we knew that);
    Laws there bear zero relationship to actual facts (I guess we knew that as well);
    Jersey is best avoided at all costs. My wife went there with the kids during the summer; I flat out refused to line the pockets of tyrants.

Biggest Lesson: NJ LE are, and will continue to be, the loyal foot soldiers of tyranny.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Default Re: NJ Strikes Again

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Shooter View Post

Laws there bear zero relationship to actual facts (I guess we knew that as well);
    Jersey is best avoided at all costs. My wife went there with the kids during the summer; I flat out refused to line the pockets of tyrants.

Biggest Lesson: NJ LE are, and will continue to be, the loyal foot soldiers of tyranny.
    This is the important point.

A lot of people say they avoid NJ but go there for a week or so because they "like the beach".

Find a beach elsewhere. Do not give these people one thin dime.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Northampton County)

Jets RB Mike Goodson Indicted

The Morris County (N.J.) Prosecutor's Office announced that Goodson was indicted on second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon after he was found in a car with a Taurus .45-caliber handgun loaded with an illegal hollow-point bullet. Goodson, 26, was also indicted with possessing the bullet, commonly known as a "cop killer" because it can penetrate body armor, which is a serious offense [max 10 years] in New Jersey.
    <More At The Link>

So a hollow point in .45 ACP can penetrate body armor? News to me. I'm wondering what body armor they are using. Must be some pretty low end stuff. 45 ACP at 900 fps won't penetrate ANY body armor I'm familiar with.

Catchy name, "cop killer" bullets. Maybe someone will use it in their marketing campaign.

Illegal to own PD/SD ammo in Jersey (unless of course you are LE). Some animals are equal, just some are more equal than others.

Are they saying the Hallow point is the cop killer or he was charged with having a hallow point and an AP round. It sounds like he had a mixed clip of ammo and there was a HP and an AP round mixed in. Which obvisouly in NJ is a terrible idea.

They might not even make AP 45 ACP as I have not ever seen it.

(Bucks County)

All you need to know about The People's Republic of New Jersey:

1. It is illegal to pump your own gas.

2. You need a firearms ID card to buy a BB gun. To buy a BB pistol, you have to
    have a pistol purchasing permit.

3. It's a $500 fine for every hollow point round("cop killer bullet") in your gun.
    Not to mention jail time.

Nuff said!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D View Post
    Are they saying the Hallow point is the cop killer or he was charged with having a hallow point and an AP round. It sounds like he had a mixed clip of ammo and there was a HP and an AP round mixed in. Which obvisouly in NJ is a terrible idea.

They might not even make AP 45 ACP as I have not ever seen it.
    . . . an illegal hollow-point bullet. Goodson, 26, was also indicted with possessing the bullet, commonly known as a "cop killer" . . .

Sounds like the same bullet to me, hollow-point friend, no idea what a hallow point is.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post

3. It's a $500 fine for every hollow point round("cop killer bullet") in your gun.

Nuff said!

I think that pretty much says all you really need to know.

(Monroe County)

I think that pretty much says all you really need to know.
    This is close:

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post

Nuff said!

Hollow point ammunition is legal in New Jersey, but only under certain conditions which I believe the state calls "exemptions," which is basically one's home or one's business. What differs New Jersey from other states, is that it is basically your word against law enforcement to prove you were lawfully utilizing one of the "exemptions" such as transporting one's firearm to a shooting range or a gunsmith. In my opinion, the laws are vague and ambiguous to scare people from taking their firearm outside the home, for fear of legal consequences (scare the good guys and enable the bad guys ). Like other liberal states, they have passed layers of laws which are basically redundant, such as charging for unlawful possession, hollow point ammunition, and unlawful magazine capacity, all of which I'm pretty sure have been made at least a second or a third degree crime in New Jersey, which basically translates into three felonies in other states. They can also charge one with multiple counts depending on how many magazines and rounds one has as well.

Yes, I fully agree that this is a nightmare that is purposefully planned to scare law abiding citizens and keeps other out of the state, although there does not appear to be a decrease in gun violence in New Jersey.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Philadelphia County)

From the link:

"...Goodson's attorney, Anthony Fusco, said the next step is an arraignment, during which the indictment will be read and Goodson will have to enter a plea.

"Mike's not going to plead guilty to a gun charge," Fusco said. "The bottom line is that it's not his gun."...

...The driver of the car, Garant Evans, was also indicted on the gun and ammunition-related charge, as well as possession of a firearm despite being convicted of a crime...

...In May, Evans and Goodson were found stopped in the center lane of I-80. Goodson, in the passenger seat, was unresponsive to police officers who approached the car. He was taken to a hospital for a medical evaluation and released.

Marijuana and drug paraphernalia were also found in the car. The drug possession charges did not have to be reviewed by a grand jury and are still pending..."

I do not feel sympathy for Goodson.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    Hollow point ammunition is legal in New Jersey, but only under certain conditions which I believe the state calls "exemptions," which is basically one's home or one's business. What differs New Jersey from other states, is that it is basically your word against law enforcement to prove you were lawfully utilizing one of the "exemptions" such as transporting one's firearm to a shooting range or a gunsmith. In my opinion, the laws are vague and ambiguous to scare people from taking their firearm outside the home, for fear of legal consequences (scare the good guys and enable the bad guys ). Like other liberal states, they have passed layers of laws which are basically redundant, such as charging for unlawful possession, hollow point ammunition, and unlawful magazine capacity, all of which I'm pretty sure have been made at least a second or a third degree crime in New Jersey, which basically translates into three felonies in other states. They can also charge one with multiple counts depending on how many magazines and rounds one has as well.

Yes, I fully agree that this is a nightmare that is purposefully planned to scare law abiding citizens and keeps other out of the state, although there does not appear to be a decrease in gun violence in New Jersey.

HP ammo is exempted for home, premises or other land owned or possessed, place of sale to home, hunting and range. In addition there are certain professional exemptions (LEO, military, licensed dealers, etc).

I would hazard that, in all states, proof of eligibility for an exemption is a burden on the claimant/defendant. For example, exemption for firearm possession in Pa:

18 Pa CS § 6122. Proof of license and exception.

(b) Exception.--An individual carrying a firearm on or about
    his person or in a vehicle and claiming an exception under
    section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without
    a license) shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement
    officer, produce satisfactory evidence of qualification for
    exception

Each of those charges have different statutes with different and distinct elements of their crime. True, a single criminal activity may involve a violation of multiple statutes and each can stand in its own right. Usually convictions would result is concurrent sentences so, in essence, the most egregious crime is deterministic of the sentence.

Illegal possession of a handgun is 2nd Degree (5-10 yr); longarm- 3rd degree (3-5 yr); HP and large cap mags - 4th degree (18 mo).

I don't believe that the charges arising from a singular event are cumulative unless the statutes specifically provides for such. For example possession of a 50 rnd box of HP does not have a potential sentence of 75 years (18 mo x 50).
    Last edited by tl_3237; November 8th, 2013 at 03:27 PM.
    IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast