Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Target Shooting at home.

Just wondering how many people shoot on there own land at home. The wife and I are looking to move near butler up to slippery rock area. And I told her I would love to have a little bit of land to at least shoot my 22. She looked at me like I was crazy? Where I live now i can get away with cb 22 but I feel nervous even shooting that. Just wondering ...

(Butler County)

Default Re: Target Shooting at home.

I live in the area you're planning to move to and I shoot on my property on a regular basis. As long as you have a safe place to shoot, there shouldn't be a problem.

(Jefferson County)

We shoot .22 BB, CB, Flobert, and shorts in my basement. Also airsoft and bb/pellet rifles. The floor in the basement is covered in airsoft BB's. ...I mean they are everywhere. lol

I have a homemade bullet trap for the .22's. ...well, it's on lone to a family member at the moment.

In my borough there is no ordinance against it, but the cops have come around when loud noises are reported by someone. I don't shoot outside because of that, unless it is to get rid of a yard/garden pest. I stick with .22shorts as my hottest round, and sometimes use my "quiet box"* when outside.

*a quiet box is like a super-sized suppressor. ..a box with baffles, foam, sound deadening material that you stick the muzzle of your gun into and shoot through it(big opening that you can see thru). Since it cannot attach to a gun, and is too big/heavy to even wield - it isn't a "suppressor" under NFA law and is legal(last time I checked). Mine is about 14"-15" wide, the same high, then about 2ft long. Made of plywood lined inside with egg-crate type foam padding with one baffle board in the middle to make 2 chambers.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 8th, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

How are you sure there are no restrictions on discharging firearms where you live? Did you ask? What about fumes? It doesn't take many rounds.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    How are you sure there are no restrictions on discharging firearms where you live? Did you ask? What about fumes? It doesn't take many rounds.
    Our municipal codes are available online.

Ventilation by a pusher fan and a puller fan. We've been doing it for years with no health issues. Hell, I've got more lead still in my leg from a 38spl slug than a person could ever breath in.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Tioga County)

I shoot at home except for competitions.

My advice if you buy property is to buy a flat area with a hillside that you own that can function as a backstop. I'd also buy enough so that neighbors cannot see you or what you are doing.

(Venango County)

My wife has always been made aware that I prefer having some property (space) and living in a trailer over a fancy house downtown.

I got lucky and have a nice house and enough property to hunt or target shoot now. (I don't hunt but allow a couple of old timer neighbors to do so.)

I go out my back door and can shoot any of my guns. In reality, however, the smaller calibers get the most use due to cheaper cost and less noise/bother overall. My closest neighbors are 650 feet away.

I am living my dream. The only limits being the cost of ammo. I am also a little lazy and don't like cleaning them but I do clean after every use. Having said that, it also means my nearest neighbors won't consider me too much of a nuisance though there are no noise limits or rules regarding 'ranges'.

Go for it.

I should add that my property goes steadily upward in the back but I also have a couple of mounds of dirt that I use as the primary backstop. Should I miss the mound, it is unlikely that the round would make it off my property though it would pose a danger if someone happened to be in the woods directly behind it.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Washington County)

I was fortunate to grow up out in a very rural area near Ligonier. I built a 100 yard range on my parent's property with a huge hill as a backstop. I used to buy junk cars for a few hundred dollars, invite all my friends and neighbors over, and we would spend the day shooting the car to pieces. It was so much fun. My parent's have pretty much put the kabosh on that since I blew up a mini van with a bunch of exploding targets but I still shoot there occasionally. Our neighbor out there had several great places on his 300 acre farm to shoot as well, including an 800 yard range. It's wonderful to live like that and be able to shoot as you please. I've shot 50 BMG and blown the front end off a mini van and the cops never showed up. Now I have my own little property and I don't hesitate to shoot 22 in the back yard into a suitable backstop, despite my neighbors being right up against me. When I see a ground hog I grab the 223 and get everyone's attention. I always get praise from the neighbors when I take care of pests. I checked my local regulations and I'm free to do as a please. Go for it!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

To each his own but I would not feel comfortable hearing gun shots coming from my neighbor's property regardless. Bullets can go over "huge hills" and can certainly travel more then 650'.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A quiet box is like a super-sized suppressor. ..a box with baffles, foam, sound deadening material that you stick the muzzle of your gun into and shoot through it(big opening that you can see thru). Since it cannot attach to a gun, and is too big/heavy to even wield - it isn't a "suppressor" under NFA law and is legal(last time I checked). Mine is about 14"-15" wide, the same high, then about 2ft long. Made of plywood lined inside with egg-crate type foam padding with one baffle board in the middle to make 2 chambers.
    That is about the coolest thing I have ever heard of doing, LOL! Right on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast