Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default ASPs and Collasible Batons: Legal to purchase and carry?

I was at Atlantic Tactical the other day looking at their ASPs (collapsible batons, whatever you want to call them), and I was told that civilians could not purchase them as you have to be LE or military.

However, I was told that if you are a civilian and you want to purchase an ASP, you have to go through a certification/training process. Once completed, you can legally purchase and carry one.

Does anyone have any information as to what training program needs to be taken in order to legally purchase and carry an ASP or collapsible baton?

Default Re: ASPs and Collasible Batons: Legal to purchase and carry?

They are not listed as OFFENSIVE WEAPONS under PA's law on such.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...nsive-weapons/

Unless a Collasable Baton, in the collapsed position, could be considered a blackjack????

Whether another law prohibits their possession, I am not sure.

There have been other threads about this in the past...try searching the forum.

(Lycoming County)

LWTA (Act 235) would be required if you were carrying one for employment purposes.

Many feel that it falls under Section 908 regarding prohibited weapons. However, in 908 there is no exception for being LWTA Certified, so I do not think it actually applies, others do.

Be safe (and just don't get a blackjack).

Scott

Although it would seem owning a blackjack as a curio is OK, as mentioned in 908.

Just don't carry it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    LWTA (Act 235) would be required if you were carrying one for employment purposes.

Many feel that it falls under Section 908 regarding prohibited weapons. However, in 908 there is no exception for being LWTA Certified, so I do not think it actually applies, others do.

Scott

(Northampton County)

It's a curio before the zombie apocalypse.

(Allegheny County)

PA "may" consider it an offensive weapon.

"implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose."
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

Collapsable batons are available over the counter to anyone in many stores and at most gun shows. They would seem to be a great form of less lethal defense in situations where a firearm would not quite be warranted, but where some significant level of perceived and articulable threat exists.

However, I have been told by several people that in PA they might well fall under prohibited weapons as a blackjack type device or as an implement to inflict damage without common lawful purpose. Apparently, the language is not crystal clear on the subject from a legal standpoint.

As such, I have not considered carrying one in order to avoid the potential of a legal problem, especially since my firearm is not prohibited.

Maybe one of our lawyer members could offer a more knowledgable opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post

Scott
    Agreed. And don't get a leather sap, or a Taser or stun gun, because the laws are unclear, and I've handled a prosecution for simple possession of a stun gun.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Although it would seem owning a blackjack as a curio is OK, as mentioned in 908.

Just don't carry it!!!
    Not so much "OK" as it is an admissible defense that you can try to establish. I did that successfully once in a switchblade prosecution, but we had an excellent and wise judge in a bench trial. It was far from certain to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    PA "may" consider it an offensive weapon.

"implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose."
    Bingo, that's where they'd go, and they'd tie it in with the blackjack being specifically listed, so other non-sporting clubs would also be prohibited. (I once had an road-raging idiot come at me with a baseball bat that he kept in his car, without a baseball glove or baseball balls or any baseball brains that I could discern. We had him prosecuted, which took longer than shooting him with the .45 that I had on me, but was fairly satisfying nonetheless.)
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Franklin County)

Find a baton or make one, that's marked off in measurements like a yard stick, there's your "lawful purpose".

(Jefferson County)

Get yourself an AOW tax stamp. Purchase an ASP or collapsible baton, modify it to have a barrel, chamber, and firing mechanism = problem solved.

RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast