Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default target preference

For those who have located and ammo or decided to skim some from a stockpile and actually go shooting. I am curious as to what type of paper or otherwise targets you prefer. Bullseye, Silhouette, metal plate, Reactive Targets, situational targets? A visit to any target website offers merchandise choices that are downright comical. The zombie craze, dirty bird "splatter" targets, the hostage targets depicting a photograph of a male holding a usually not so attractive female, why a homely woman, who knows?

Even the silhouette humanoid targets have color choices that boggle the mind, but offer a different look other than the traditional black.

Does where you shoot, public or private, have any restrictions as to type of target. Most private clubs frown on metal plate targets, unless sanctioned matches. One club I am a member of does not allow any sort of humanoid target, outline nor photo. That is their choice, I am not posting to judge.

Just curious as to what is utilized by the forum members.

(Washington County)

Default Re: target preference

I love shooting steel. I also shoot the vtac humanoid paper targets.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Chester County)

Lol, I use paper plates, both the dinner plate and desert plate. Cheap and comes in many colors. Before you laugh it this place the dinner size plate over your chest and you get the idea.

These are cheap and can be purchased ANYWHERE. No special trip to the LGS or sporting goods store required.

(Allegheny County)

For pistol and short distance carbine. I take scrap cardboard and cut it to roughly IDPA sizes. Then I put different 8.5x11 printed targets that usually have a 8" square or circular target area in the high center of mass area. Sometimes a smaller 4" in the head area. I print them on a entry level laser printer ($120 purchased 7 years ago, swapped one $40 toner since I had it).

I get mine from: http://www.targetz.com/

I use the following regularly

I like shooting steel with a pistol once I'm comfortable with how it aims and groups. Especially multiple steel targets. Good tool for a draw and engage multiple targets. Once the steel goes down that "threat" is taken care of. I'd like to do this with my AR with .223/5/56 ammo but my range does not have rifle grade steel setup, so I shoot a .22 conversion at the pistol range.

For bench rest rifle shooting I have been using the Shoot-N-See targets. But I hope Santa brings me a spotting scope for Christmas and I can use printed paper targets at the rifle range.
    Last edited by QuackXP; November 7th, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Beaver County)

I like steel. I shoot in my backyard and resetting targets is a pain due to the landscape.

(Delaware County)

Paper Sills are my favorite. I like the exploding targets too. Which I could shoot steel.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Cumberland County)

I'm cheap. If I use a printed target, it comes off of my printer using a free something or other from the internet. There are plenty of free targets to print and use for sighting in a rifle.

Most of my target shooting is geared toward self defense or zombie attack. That is to say - any hit in the hurt zone is a good hit. I generally take 2x 8.5x11 pieces of paper and staple them to the backstop so they make a portrait 11x17 rectangular target. This is the general size of a torso. If you keep your shots in the upper sheet of paper, you're in the boiler room. Anything on the lower sheet is still a good shot - if nothing else, it will hurt like hell. A 6" paper plate makes a good "topper" to this 11x17 target.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Montgomery County)

Printed targets and playing cards at the ranges. Printed targets and steel on private property.

Multi-packs of playing cards can be found at dollar stores.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

I prefer steel most of the time. You get that immediate auditory response telling you you hit. Or you hear nothing and know you missed. It's great to help with your shot consistency. If you shoot paper and aren't close enough to see what is a hit and what is a miss, you're teaching yourself muscle memory from the misses as well instead of correcting the issue right away.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    I prefer steel most of the time. You get that immediate auditory response telling you you hit. Or you hear nothing and know you missed. It's great to help with your shot consistency. If you shoot paper and aren't close enough to see what is a hit and what is a miss, you're teaching yourself muscle memory from the misses as well instead of correcting the issue right away.
    Depends on what you are doing. If you have a new firearm or are trying to learn or correct technique then knowing how far off and in what direction you missed can be good.
    Last edited by QuackXP; November 7th, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast