Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Smile Recommended RCBS Reloading Dies

Need some help from you seasoned reloaders out there.

I purchased an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme reloading kit a few months back. Been methodically reading everything I possibly can on reloading and all things related. But because I'm new to this, I haven't purchased the final pieces of the puzzle, the reloading dies. Kind of afraid to buy the wrong ones. (I know, grow a pair, right?)

I will need to reload .223/5.56, .308/7.62 NATO, .30-30, .30-06, 9mm, .45 ACP, and .380 ACP.

I've read many posts on multiple forums where guys mention using Short base, Full length, etc. so I have been hesitant in putting my foot down and buying them.
    Can anyone give me the proper list of what dies I would need to buy to reload these calibers in any situation? I would rather have them laying around and available than not having them when I need them.

Your input would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Recommended RCBS Reloading Dies

Just starting out I would just go with standard full length sizing rifle dies. You may or may not need small base dies if shooting an AR or M1A, chances are you will do fine with the Full length dies. Neck dies are not recommended for semi, lever or pump action guns. standard carbide pistol dies of most any brand will be fine. You can save some money if you buy Lee dies. Personally I don’t like Lee dies, I load a lot of cast bullets and Lyman or RCBS just work better for me.

(Washington County)

For the pistol calibers get carbide dies. You won't have to lube.

For 5.56 I have the rcbs short base dies and they work nicely.

You have the same press as I do, and I think it's great. Good luck and work your loads up slowly. Remember to watch your overall length as pressures will increase.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Luzerne County)

For all my handgun calibers (.380, 9mm, .38/.357, .44 Mag and 45acp) I use the RCBS Carbide Dies.

For all my rifle calibers (way too many to list) I use the regular RCBS Full Length dies.

I also have two RCBS X-dies for reloading .223 (AR) and .30/06 (M1 Garand) to extend case life in those applications.

I do not use Small Base Dies.

(Franklin County)

As above...

Definitely buy carbide dies for pistol calibers.

For semi autos handguns, profile crimp dies are great - but possibly not required. A separate purchase from the standard dies set, but provide more consistent pressure.

Most ARs are OK with standard 223/5.56 dies, but some do require small base dies. A toss up, unless you know for certain your AR requires small base.

Generally, standard die sets are fine for rifles.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you how great Lee dies are, and how cheap. Personally I don't like them, although they have a large following. RCBS or Redding are all I have; I slightly prefer the Redding because they are a little easier to adjust.

I have the Rock Chucker also. I would recommend small base dies if you are shooting them out of an AR platform. It makes the case about .001-.002 smaller than the full length. Also need some lube (I use the wax type...forget the name I am at work, but it works well).

You also need a scale, case trimmer, and a good set of calipers.

I also recommend using a hand priming tool, you get a much better idea of primer depth feel, in my opinion.

If you are using lake city or other military brass, the primer pockets are crimped and need to be reamed out. Lyman’s primer pocket reamer is the way to go.

A bullet puller is nice to have in case you make boo boos. ....what else

Oh yea, something to clean your cases. I use an ultrasonic cleaner for speed, and it also works well, but most common is a tumbler....this is my reloading sequence.

1. Decap the brass with a universal decapping die
    2. Run the brass through ultrasonic clean 1
    3. Dry the brass and quick lube, full length resize with a small base die.
    4. Ultrasonic clean 2
    5. Dry and check size, trim and clean and or ream primer pockets
    6. Prime all brass with hand primer.
    7. Put seater die in the press. Use 1 unprimed/no powder case to make a dummy cartridge to check size.
    8. Fill cases with powder.
    9. Seat bullet.
    10. Fun time at range
    11. Repeat steps 1-10

There are much more simplified methods, but i found this to work the best for me. Gives you a nice clean product you can put confidence in.