Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Best range/club to join around mars?

Quote Originally Posted by KaptKane View Post
    I'm on the other side of Mars in the Valencia area. Just relocated here from Nashville area.
    NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO etc. Looking for a place to shoot and help out. Any guidance and advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    I'm currently a member at Pardoe Sportsmans, but that's just too far of a drive. I looked at Castlewood right outside of New Castle. Decent facilities, no ridiculous sacrifice your first born to get a membership after waiting a few years, but Beaver Valley Rifle Pistol Club is where I'll be joining at the beginning of July.

You can actually get a membership there, and their facilities are nice. I live in Evans City, and it's about a 25 minute drive. I've taken 2 training classes there. It seems they're one of the few clubs in the Pittsburgh area that actually allow for practical training with your firearms.

(Butler County)

(Shoot) (and pardon my pun) I guess I missed that one!
    Thanks for the info tho.
    I am supposed to attend a meeting this Thursday evening at Mars Rod and Gun Club to submit my application and join.
    They say membership will be closed after this Thursday.
    I'll let you all know.

(Beaver County)

Are there any members of the Mars Rod and Gun club here? How is the club and how are their range rules?

I currently shoot at Beaver Valley, but would consider a membership at Mars just because it is close.

(Butler County)

Both Millvale and Mars will be taking new members in January. Millvale is changing their policy - no more wait lists and vacancies will be handled first-come-first-in when posted with the cap remaining at 1800. I was at a 3D archery shoot at Mars two weeks ago and was told they'll be open for new members in January but I don't know their process.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Are there any members of the Mars Rod and Gun club here? How is the club and how are their range rules?
    I'm not a member at Mars (yet - might join in January as it's closer than Millvale) but the grounds seem nice. I've been there for their 3D archery as a guest. I know people that belong there and enjoy it.

(Butler County)

I belong to Mars and find it congenial and accommodating. It is (currently) primarily a skeet club, but that is only because most of the (current) members are skeet shooters.
    We are growing an active group of pistol shooters also.
    Membership will open up in January. I would say come by on the first Thursday of the month (scheduled general meeting) or any Tuesday evening (Trap League) and pick up an application. It has to be "read" at a meeting before you can be approved as a "probationary" member (one year). There is also a minimum number of meetings and events that you must attend along with a minimum number of hours you must "donate" to helping around the club. This can be at activities, events or cutting the grass.
    Hope this helps you.

I am a member of Mars Rod and Gun club also.

There are 4 trap ranges, a 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard shooting ranges.

They do a lot of trap but some of us members are starting some different shoots. This summer we had a few 3d archery shoots and also some rimfire pistol and rifle shoots where we set up steel targets to shoot at and play some games. We will be looking at doing some centerfire pistol shoots this coming year. I will be testing the metal targets shortly hopefully.

The black powder club will be starting in January. They usually have breakfast then shoot at steel targets at different ranges and sometimes hidden in the woods. Lots of fun.

There is also women on target training there and also a member has been doing a basic pistol instruction class.

Membership is closed until January. Starting in January you can submit an application. Once you are voted in as a probationary member you have to attend 3 meetings, 3 events, and put in 10 hours during the year. Going to the meetings counts as hours and the events do also so it's not that hard to do. The reasoning behind it is that we want active members so by starting new members this way they get to meet lots of people and have fun at events so that they feel comfortable and hopefully continue to participate.

Check out the website marsrodandgunclub.org

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Both Millvale and Mars will be taking new members in January. Millvale is changing their policy - no more wait lists and vacancies will be handled first-come-first-in when posted with the cap remaining at 1800. I was at a 3D archery shoot at Mars two weeks ago and was told they'll be open for new members in January but I don't know their process.
    That is really interesting about Millvale. My brother has been a member there for years and I have enjoyed shooting there, especially the pistol range.

I'm a member at Clairton in the South Hills near where I live, but Millvale is about 10 minutes from where I work and it would be great to get there a few times a month on the way home.

I always heard they had a century long waiting list.

What is the process going to be for new members applying in January ?

Thanks for any info.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post
    That is really interesting about Millvale. .... What is the process going to be for new members applying in January ?
    My understanding from what was announced a few months ago at the membership meeting is that they are dropping the waitlist because it was too problematic. They are going to be more strict about renewals being late/missed and any unpaid members on Jan 1 will get dropped. Then they will announce a day to sign up (probably website) in January or February and sign up new members first come, first serve with your sponsor. I believe initiation fee is $150 and yearly dues are currently $80 but that's likely to increase for 2016.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    My understanding from what was announced a few months ago at the membership meeting is that they are dropping the waitlist because it was too problematic. They are going to be more strict about renewals being late/missed and any unpaid members on Jan 1 will get dropped. Then they will announce a day to sign up (probably website) in January or February and sign up new members first come, first serve with your sponsor. I believe initiation fee is $150 and yearly dues are currently $80 but that's likely to increase for 2016.
    Great, thanks for the information.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast