Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Wheelchair as conveyance?

I kicked myself for not thinking to ask at gunlawyer's seminar yesterday...

I was talking to a wheelchair bound friend about it...and since the wording is so open...I'm assuming that a wheelchair would be considered a conveyance, and he would need LTCF to wheel down the sidewalk.

Anybody know how other folks have dealt with this situation?

(Venango County)

Default Re: Wheelchair as conveyance?

A friend of mine with Spina Bifida . . or however it is spelled. . spinabifada . . .I digress.

We talked about that before. The thought is a wheelchair counts as a conveyance, and if he is hunting, he isn't able to have a loaded long arm on his chair.

I posted a while ago about it, but nothing really solid came out of it.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Northampton County)

My understanding is that a wheelchair is both a legal "vehicle" and a personal item, depending on the situation.

I normally recommend every firearm owner should get their PA LTCF if they can, but I think it is doubly-true for our friends in wheelchairs. It is really cheap insurance against the jerk cop/da/etc. pressing charges for having a loaded firearm in a "vehicle".

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    My understanding is that a wheelchair is both a legal "vehicle" and a personal item, depending on the situation.

I normally recommend every firearm owner should get their PA LTCF if they can, but I think it is doubly-true for our friends in wheelchairs. It is really cheap insurance against the jerk cop/da/etc. pressing charges for having a loaded firearm in a "vehicle".
    This raises an interesting question regarding the legality of the carry laws in my opinion. How can a law be Constitutional if it by default restricts an entire class of people from carry without a license.

The concealed carry laws in PA have been historically defended due to there being unlicensed open carry but this brings into question that defense in my opinion.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post

I second everything said here. I have a buddy who has been paralyzed since he was 17. Just significantly easier all around to have a LTCF. Is it BS that it needs to be that way? Absolutely, but its just easier to CYA.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Jefferson County)

Under the UFA it is probably a "vehicle". Under motorvehicle laws it isn't.

A jury would likely find a wheelchair to be just a personal mobility device though, and not a "vehicle". But, that is a roll of the dice. And only an asshole DA would push that issue.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    A friend of mine with Spina Bifida . . or however it is spelled. . spinabifada . . .I digress.

We talked about that before. The thought is a wheelchair counts as a conveyance, and if he is hunting, he isn't able to have a loaded long arm on his chair.

I posted a while ago about it, but nothing really solid came out of it.
    I think if you look into the PGC laws you'll find exceptions for those limited to wheel chairs. I have a relative who has hunted from both a wheel chair and an ATV. On one of our trips last fall I watched from my tree stand as WCO passed through, spoke to him, and even helped move a limb for a better view across the field as he sat in his chair with the rifle loaded. He is required to have a Disabled Person Permit which also allows him to sit in or near his truck.

I took a look at the PA Hunter & Trapper Digest. There are a few references to handicap and disabled but they are sketchy. Best bet would be to look up the actual code.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I think if you look into the PGC laws you'll find exceptions for those limited to wheel chairs. I have a relative who has hunted from both a wheel chair and an ATV. On one of our trips last fall I watched from my tree stand as WCO passed through, spoke to him, and even helped move a limb for a better view across the field as he sat in his chair with the rifle loaded. He is required to have a Disabled Person Permit which also allows him to sit in or near his truck.

I took a look at the PA Hunter & Trapper Digest. There are a few references to handicap and disabled but they are sketchy. Best bet would be to look up the actual code.
    Handicapped people can obtain a special permit to hunt from a vehicle.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=596042&mode=2

A friend of mine has one and hunts in PA from a modified golf cart.
    Toujours prêt

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Handicapped people can obtain a special license to hunt from a vehicle.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=596042&mode=2

A friend of mine has one and hunts in PA from a modified golf cart.
    Plus they may also hunt with a semi-auto.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Monroe County)

You also have an ADA issue and perhaps an Equal Protection argument. Preventing a whole class of people from open carrying, or from carrying w/o a license based on their disability does not sound right to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast