Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Open gun carrier wins settlement in Corvallis unlawful detainment case

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Open gun carrier wins settlement in Corvallis unlawful detainment case

link only sucks
    The city’s insurance carrier paid a man $5,000 last month to settle a lawsuit following a federal judge’s opinion that a Corvallis police officer unlawfully detained and searched the man two years ago as he was retrieving his mail — and openly carrying a gun.

Kevin Hall, who has since moved from Corvallis to Alpine, represented himself in the lawsuit, which he launched Oct. 9, 2012, two weeks shy of the one-year deadline to file.

The 31-year-old software developer and Monroe volunteer firefighter said he was walking the less than 200 feet to his house after retrieving his mail in the early afternoon on Oct. 26, 2011, when Corvallis Police Officer James Dodge pulled up, got out of his patrol car and approached him.

Hall, who wore a gun in a holster attached to his belt and a knife clipped in his front pocket, said he was prepared. He had memorized his legal rights concerning interactions with law enforcement and his rights to openly carry firearms. Normally, he also had with him an audio recorder and an iPod capable of video recording to ensure the honesty of law enforcement.

During the stop, which lasted only minutes, Officer Dodge questioned Hall, performed an exterior pat down to check for additional weapons and then checked with dispatch to see if Hall had warrants — using a name found on a piece of Hall’s mail. Hall then was allowed to go
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Default Re: Open gun carrier wins settlement in Corvallis unlawful detainment case

The I don't give a frick attitude displayed by the department churns my stomach. How could an internal investigation not come up with policy and law violations given the circumstances?

One more PD with a pervasive attitude of being above the law.

CL

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    The I don't give a frick attitude displayed by the department churns my stomach. How could an internal investigation not come up with policy and law violations given the circumstances?

CL
    What do they call it, oh yeah the big blue wall.

(Juniata County)

Extremely saddened that this had to waste the courts time. And the towns time.

Any word on when the County DA well be filing charges against the officer?
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Any word on when the County DA well be filing charges against the officer?
    Thanks a lot; I just spewed a mouthful of soda from my mouth laughing at this! Someone being held accountable for violation of rights? Perish the thought...

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post

CL
    Agreed. Sad but true.

I thought the best quote was....
    “A lot of times we find that people are trying to draw law enforcement in and then later say that we were violating their rights,” he said. “When citizens are calling 911, we have to somehow evaluate what that situation is. Is it truly someone who is legally carrying a firearm or is it someone who committed a crime or is about to commit a crime? We get caught in the middle of that.”

It isn't our fault for not knowing the law or violating your rights. It is...umm... the open carrier's fault. They know the law and they know we don't know the law so...ummm... its entrapment.

Pathetic and a disgraceful.... take some personal and professional responsibility - apologize; correct / fire the cops; re-educate; and pay the guy some money for the department's screw up. Most people have less hatred for someone who will admit when wrong and attempt to make amends.