Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default What is the Dickson City Incident?

Apparently I haven't been paying attention. Will someone please give it to me in 100 words or less?
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

(Delaware County)

(Venango County)

Default Re: What is the Dickson City Incident?

At the planned open carry dinner in the NE, PAPatriot and others were harassed when police were called.

Pa spent some time in back of the cruiser while the police decided what they could or could not do such as arrest him. PaPatriot, the one who did the flyer document, refused to identify himself as no crime was commited. They took his backup gun because it was 'not found' in the State Police database. (They were treating it like a registry in other words)

I beleive PaPatriot stated that no crime was being committed etc. under Hawkins and he did not have to ID himself etc.

I was not there, it is my understanding from the thread that Soberbyker kindly pointed out. The thread is huge now. It grows several pages per hour it seems.

Dickson City is having a counsel meeting today and many are supposedly attending. Some may be armed.

The rest of us are waiting with baited breath for news on the going ons there!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdpate View Post
    Apparently I haven't been paying attention. Will someone please give it to me in 100 words or less?
    several people open carried to a dinner at OCB (old country buffet or something like that).

open carry is 100% legal in PA==as the PA state supreme court has clearly stated in two cases.

someone called the police.

the police broke several state and federal laws (and violated a lot of civil rights) in rousting these people.

one of the people had his gun illegally confiscated by the police because it is not listed in the PA state police "sales database".

PA law makes it explicitly illegal for anyone--including the PSP--to maintain a firearms registry. the PA state supreme court ruled that the PSP's sales database did not constitute a registry, and is thus legal, exactly because it does not contain information on every legally owned gun in PA...and there are several ways for a person to legally possess a handgun that is not in the sales database.

therefore, it is impossible for the fact that a gun is not in the sales database to be PC to confiscate it.

the person who was victimized is PA Patriot on this forum. he is an FFL and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who knows the relevant laws better.

and he is going to hold these police accountable for violating rule of law and his rights.

(Bedford County)

Thanks for the concise report, guys. I'll be the first to support him, even though I came in late.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    PaPatriot ... refused to identify himself...
    Are you sure of that? My understanding was that he verbally identified himself, but lawfully refused to produce his driver's license or other identifying documents.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by awkx View Post
    Are you sure of that? My understanding was that he verbally identified himself, but lawfully refused to produce his driver's license or other identifying documents.
    You are correct.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by awkx View Post
    You, sir, are correct.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You, sir, are correct.

Sorry, that is what I meant. Did not show ID.

(Upon second read, it can be inferred they knew his name during the non-registry database check but still sloppy on my part!)
    Last edited by TaePo; May 13th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.

(Monroe County)

its similar to the Raccoon City Incident.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast