Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: LTCF 2 reference needed

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    The sheriff has absolutely no legal authority to impose such a restriction.

The references requirement isn't found explicitly in the statutes, rather it flows from the authority the legislature granted to the PSP to create the application and specify compliance provisions. The sheriff has no authority to add further provisions. 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 states in relevant part

Once an application has been submitted the sheriff is required to approve or deny (for good cause) the application. Failure to limit references to persons living within a particular county doesn't satisfy any of the statutory reasons for denial.

Don't let the sheriff try to tell you he won't "accept" the application either. There's no "acceptance" step in the statutory application process. You apply (hand over the completed application and $20 fee) and then the sheriff must by law approve or deny for good cause. If you're denied he has to send you a certified letter stating the specific reason.
    I will be submitting my form sometime next week (June 2-6), as is. There will be no resistance or arguments, just handing the form and a $20 bill to the clerk and seeing what happens. One would think that two references from friends of 20 years would be more acceptable than a couple of references from strangers I don't know who agree to let me put their names on the form.

All I will say is exactly that - that my application is given with more integrity than most. And I do hold a FL permit that is still current. Will taht count for anything? Dunno.

I'll be posting the results.
    -= Gary =-

(Carbon County)

Default Re: LTCF one reference only needed people are helping

If you need a person to give you reference in Carbon county I will help. Just email me on this forum

I was in Butler when I applied for my LTCF I knew no one in PA, I used a friend in Tx an other in Wisconsin and gave a list of other friends from all over including Canada. I don't think they even looked at it.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Carbon County)

If you swear you are of good character and not a felon, You can use me a carbon co reference. My carbon license is about to run out in Feb of next year and I need a new reference, as my previous references have passed away or moved to Florida! contact me at adamdeannepa@gmail.com.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by cardonasharp View Post
    If you need a person to give you reference in Carbon county I will help. Just email me on this forum
    Could I get a hand from you here? My license in Carbon Co will run out in Feb 2017 and my previous refs have either passed away or moved. You can contact me at adamdeannepa@gmail.com. Thanks for considering this request!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by adamdeannepa View Post
    If you swear you are of good character and not a felon, You can use me a carbon co reference. My carbon license is about to run out in Feb of next year and I need a new reference, as my previous references have passed away or moved to Florida! contact me at adamdeannepa@gmail.com.
    Two year old post. I hope he made a friend by now.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    It's the same BS story in Monroe.
    Ditto. Same in Cumberland County. I'm a longtime resident and the two I gave woulda been Cumberland anyway, so I thought nothing of it (mind you, neither was ever called...)

A shame, really. Cumberland is generally quite good, IME. You get your LTCF in 10 minutes at the courthouse. Sheriff's office seems pretty LAGO friendly - deputies always seemed friendly, happy to banter about your guns, etc. whilst you (briefly) wait. When I went in with my wife to get hers, they even made a point of saying they appreciated women getting a licensed, and offered some (good) advice about where she could go for "non-good-ole-boy" clubs and training. (There are a couple places around here that are notably not-friendly turf for women... Private clubs, their rules, their right, that's cool. Hey, for myself I can dig a place where I can light up a stogie, kick back and tell dirty jokes without worrying about offending! Just not gonna send my wife somewhere she feels uncomfortable).

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't -realize- they're adding an unlawful requirement.

Mind you, my guess is they'd get pigheaded if you push the issue... Curious to hear what happens if you try to push in Carbon Co.

PS - Anyone needing Cumberland Co. reference is free to PM me.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by cardonasharp View Post
    Could I get some help a little later? My license will expire early next year and I need a new Carbon Co. ref! Thanks for your consideration!

(Lackawanna County)

So you know no one in the time you have had a permit in the county you reside in?

(Carbon County)

One died, the other moved to Florida. I hope my answer makes you happy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast