To add to what Irepo said. My thought on the subject was always this. If someone threatens with a gun they aren't prepared to use it. If someone says they have a gun yada yada yada I never was bother. The only thing that I ever worried about was the guy that would come out the door silent and start shooting. Luckily silent trigger happy guy never happened. In all reality most cars are hooked and gone before the person could even get their feet on the floor from the bed if they even woke up. Most people never knew their car was gone until they came out for work in the morning. Most houses block out most noise. Tow trucks aren't really all that loud especially in a city environment. I have been in some of the worst areas on the east coast. Specifically the projects in Southeast DC and West Baltimore.Notice that in both of those places its practically impossible to legally carry a firearm. I was never armed. I would rather go after cars in those places than out in the sticks.
Basically If I came for a car and it became a problem and I had to leave it became extremely uncomfortable for you to keep that car. I would go to your work or wake up your mother at 3am to find out where the car was. Some people try to make it a game the problem with that is that at 3am I was wide awake as though it was 3pm. When you are a repoman that is your life. I don't care if you have a family or not. Your constantly watching tag numbers or checking addresses even when out with family. The problem accounts are always on your mind. Your schedule is dictated by your job entirely. The money can be great but it can also suck. The schedule always sucks. Few people ever last longer than a month or two in the business.