Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MBR Advice

(Philadelphia County)

Default MBR Advice

I was previously set of getting a FAL, but now I'm more and more interested in the Springfield Armory M1As.

I like their accuracy, I like the caliber, and I like the way they look; but are they reliable enough?

Basically the reason I decided to get an M1A is because I intend to go to an appleseed bootcamp over the summer and they suggest the M14. They say it is accurate and plenty reliable, but I have heard alot of things good and bad about the reliability.

So can those with M1As please tell me what you think? I'm most likely going to get the black synthetic standard model if I choose to go this route.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Default Re: MBR Advice

I had a SOCOM II that I converted back to a SOCOM 16, while some would say it's not a M1A due to the changes made, it was a nice taste of the platform IMHO.

Mags and ammo are expensive, and for me I just didn't care for how the rifle handled. Maybe I've been spoiled by too many years of toting a M16 around...

With my 16" version, accuracy wasn't that great, if I were to buy another M1A, I'd either get the Scout (18") or the regular version, but that still wouldn't change the fact that I didn't like the way it handled.

If the choice was clearly between a FAL or a M1A, I'd probably give the FAL a try, just for the pistol grip (oh the horror). Sure there are after market stocks by JAE, Sage, and VLTOR for the M1A, but those things are expensive, and I just can't see myself spending $400 +/- on a stock.

Both are great rifles I don't think you could really go wrong either way.

I guess the only question is would you rather have a traditional style stock or a pistol grip stock?
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

My vote is for the FAL.

That being said I have no experience with either but have friends that have served that really liked the FAL with it's quirks. As basic military arms go they shoot the same from what I have read. No sniper version of the FAL afaik like you can get for the M1

Post pics and let us know which you get !
    Sabre

(York County)

Both great rifles but I love my FAL....great design, sturdy, reliable, adjustable gas system!.....it's not called "the right arm of the free world" for nothing.

(Delaware County)

M1A National Match you won't be sorry. Broke but not sorry.

Both Rifles should be reliable. As I'm sure you are aware of, The M14 (M1A) was basically an upgraded version of the M1 Garand of WWII/Korea fame, A Rifle well known for its reliability. I have the Black Synthetic stocked M1A and it has been a fantastic rifle with no problems. Unfortunately I have no where to do any long range shooting at the moment so I can't attest to accuracy at distance, However given it's reputation I'm sure it will do well.

The FAL I have No experience with, Other than what I read of other's posts. My conclusion is that it also would be a very good rifle for distance shooting. In fact yesterday was the first time I ever read anything negative about it and that was just the poster stating that for him, He couldn't hit anything with an FAL.

Interestingly, the US was supposed to adopt the FAL in place of the M14. the deal was that if NATO accepted the 7.62mm as standard, The US would adopt the FAL -- NATO accepted the 7.62mm and the US turned around and went with the M14 - Lucky for us M1A owners -- 10 years later the US was forcing the 5.56mm down NATO's throat...Politics

Good Luck on whatever you decided, I'm partial to the M1a, but I don't think you'll do wrong with either.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Philadelphia County)

My main concern at this point is accuracy and reliability, which I know are at opposite sides of the spectrum .

I like the FAL's ergonomic design and the pistol grip, but I also like the M1A's accuracy and look.

The main purpose of this gun would be plinking and SHTF, so I was definitely going for the 22" standard or loaded. I like the wood look, but I was probably going to get the black synthetic for increased durability.

Can anyone tell me how accurate I can expect a standard M1A and DSA FAL to be?

Also how much reliability do I lose for the increased accuracy of the loaded M1A?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Philadelphia County)

Sorry about the double post, but I'd just like to say that this is likely the only MBR I'll ever be able to buy so I want to make the right choice. With the Obama/Clinton presidency looming I'm picking up an AK(already chose the model), a MBR, and I already picked up my Hi-cap glock.

That said parts availability is a concern as with reliability, but I want the MBR to be accurate to 600 yards.

Well the good thing about the M1A is that there are lots of mags available, so finding them later won't be an problem unless there is a mag ban.

As for the rifle, as it does not have a pistol grip, or a bayonet lug, it will survive a ban as long as it is one similar to the '93 ban.

So you could always get a FAL now and if a ban comes along you can still get an M1A later.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Philadelphia County)

The new legislation is attempting to ban SKS "assault rifles", so I have little faith in them sparing m14 clones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast