(Wayne County)

Default Re: Deer caliber

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    What models are the 06 and 308?
    Klutch check post 83.

(Lawrence County)

can someone tell me who makes a good rifle(out o' the box) in the 7-08?
    I've looked around and Savage makes them but not available in the USA.
    I like the Tikka but I didn't see it available on the website, and Rem I only see it in the CDL.
    Not sure who told you that, you can get them from a lot of places, bought one for my kids last year but swapped it over to a 243 because of the price of ammo. The nice thing about Savage is if you can't find a 7mm-08 you can just buy a used 308 or 243 and put the 7mm-08 barrel on it in about 15 minutes.

Buds should have a few in 7mm-08, you're probably looking at $460 or so for the model 11 with the synthetic stock and Nikon scope or closer to $700 for the wood stock. Jim at Northland Shooters Supply probably has new takeoff barrels cheap and sells the barrel nut wrench if you find a used one in a different caliber cheap.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Not sure who told you that, you can get them from a lot of places, bought one for my kids last year but swapped it over to a 243 because of the price of ammo. The nice thing about Savage is if you can't find a 7mm-08 you can just buy a used 308 or 243 and put the 7mm-08 barrel on it in about 15 minutes.

Buds should have a few in 7mm-08, you're probably looking at $460 or so for the model 11 with the synthetic stock and Nikon scope or closer to $700 for the wood stock. Jim at Northland Shooters Supply probably has new takeoff barrels cheap and sells the barrel nut wrench if you find a used one in a different caliber cheap.

Checked BUD's out of curiosity and they had many rifles chambered in 7mm-08.

Savage Axis and model 11
    Ruger American and m77
    Tikka t3 stainless
    Winchester m70
    Weatherby Vanguard

These were just the ones I saw with a quick look. There are probably others there as well. I don't know who told you 7mm-08 was hard to find but they were wrong. I have the Savage model 11 in 7mm-08 and love it. Very accurate and great rifle for the $$$ IMO.
    Last edited by R L Suehr; November 19th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.

(Allegheny County)

.243 all the way

I'm going to be buying a new rifle for deer hunting. I will use it to do some long distance range and regular range visits, so I will be putting some rounds through it besides hunting season.
    I've been using 270win and reloading it also, I don't currently have any rifles or dies to load for them either.
    I'm considering 270win,30.06 and 7rem mag what are your opinions on these calibers and which would you choose. I like the 30.06 cause it's America's caliber and various other reasons, I like the 270 for flat shooting and great BC and I completely intrigued by the 7MAG but have read about some issues with reloading it.
    Klutch,
    For hunting I'm old school: Within reason larger diameter and heavier projectile are better and if you are into reloading there isn't a hunting cartridge better than 8x57. The caliber and the case are like with Goldilocks, not too big, not too small. And never ever believe those who lack experience and claim the cartridge is deficient in power or accuracy. Half way between .308 and 30-06 in case capacity and in between .30 and .35 in diameter. Ju-u-u-ust right!
    If you are not a reloader then any of the commercially available cartridges commonly used for deer hunting will have its niche. The only problem is how they operate outside of what they're good at.

Yea I have been reloading for the 8mm for about 6 years now and fully know what it's capable of.. Thanks for the input

(Monroe County)

Weather permitting I will be bringing out the K98k 8mm for deer. If not my .223 Savage and some Federal Fusion will do the job too.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Chester County)

It's a toss up between my CVA .50x209 which unfortunately never saw use this muzzleloading season, a sporterized G33/40 (wasn't my fault!), or a '94 AE 30-30. Don't have the ammo or barrel for it just yet (backordered) but a T/C Encore in .460 S&W Mag will be out and about next season.

(Chester County)

Yea I have been reloading for the 8mm for about 6 years now and fully know what it's capable of.. Thanks for the input
    Last two deer I took with a G33/40 were done with handloads in 8x57. I recovered the bullet from one of them just under the hide and between the ribs on the other side of the deer. They aren't anything fancy - Hornady 150gr Interlocks sitting on 56gr of H414 in R&P brass touched off by CCI 200s. According to the sticker I loaded these in February 2004. They were my first attempt at handloading with some guidance from my grandfather whom got me into the hobby to begin with. Seemed to work just fine though! I need to get a scale to weigh the recovered bullet just to satisfy my curiosity.

I don't know that I will shoot any more of them though as he just recently passed away (why I missed muzzleloading season this year) and I can't bring myself to burn them all up. Just sentimental like that. It's nice to see the 8mm getting the respect it deserves as it is a great cartridge. Haven't loaded any yet but I bought some Barnes TSX 180gr boattails that I'm anxious to try out on a deer. Maybe that'll be the game winner this season as I still haven't decided what I'm taking first, but that will likely be it. I think I'll take a pocketful of those 150gr Interlock handloads along for good luck, though...

(Delaware County)

i have killed deer with .223 up to the larger calibers that you mentioned in your poll, and i see really no difference in performance they all get the job done. deer are thin skinned animals and you dont need much of a bullet to get the job done when hunting them when you correctly place your shot.

out of the calibers you have listed i would go with the 30-06 or 270 because they are so easy to get bullets for. go to any walmart and they will always have them in stock. 30-06 more so than the 270.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910