• 7 REM MAG

11 5.70%
  • other

64 33.16%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer caliber

Default Re: Deer caliber

Quote Originally Posted by onefunzr2 View Post
    The 6.5mmx284 Norma is an exceptional long range caliber. I have a barrel for it on my modular R93 Blaser rifle. Very accurate. This caliber was just reviewed on The Gun Nuts TV show. They gave it a thumbs up. It is NOT a barrel burner.

If you're absolutely stuck on the '06, 270Win or 7Mag, I'd go with the '06. But it's gonna kick a lot more than any 6.5mm. You'll never feel it with a deer in your sights but certainly will while at the rifle range. Neither the 270Win or the 7Mag has ever been a favored competition caliber; just not tack drivers.
    I do agree that the 6.5x284 has been a very popular long range caliber when it comes to benchrest competitions. It's very accurate, very high BC's on the bullets, and good brass. I'm not sure who told you it wasn't a "barrel burner", but it most definitely is. The cartridge is quite overbore, and is right beside the .220 Swift and .22-250 A.I. when it comes to how overbore it is. Most competition shooters can't get but about 800-1,000 rounds before accuracy degradation (by their standard), and they have to set the barrel back, attempt a throat polish, or rebarrel. There's always a tradeoff when it comes to pushing heavy bullets for a caliber fast. I think it's a good caliber for some particular uses, but not what I'd recommend to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    I was going to go with a 6.5x284 ...but I went with a 260 AI instead.

my recommendations;
    260 Rem
    7mm WSM
    300 WSM
    First off, I don't know why the heck some of you are recommending things like a .30-30, maybe ya'll didn't read the OP's post completely or something. The .30-30 is NOT going to do anything at even medium range, and doesn't fit the OP's needs. I agree with Animalmother in that I'd look at the .260 for sure. Brass is readily available (can even use .308 brass), not overbore, can definitely go the distance. It'll be more than enough for any deer. I'm a big fan of the WSM's, and I'd recommend them over the belted magnums for what you're talking about doing. I like, own, and have belted magnums, but unless you want to shoot the heavy bullets for the caliber (which most people don't), you're not going to have any sort of advantage. The WSM is more efficient with powder, usually has slightly more consistent and lower ES's and SD's, and are a bit more forgiving on finding an accurate load. In my experience they just aren't nearly as picky about loads. The .300 WSM isn't quite overbore, but is getting close, but they still have a very good barrel life; most say at least 2,500 rounds before you'll see accuracy degradation. If you go with a 7mm WSM, you'll be getting a bit overbore. The 7mm WSM with the high BC bullets will outperform the .300 WSM at VERY extended ranges, but they're so close out to 1,000 yards, it's not worth worrying about too much. I'd take the barrel life and flexibility in bullets of the .300 WSM over the slight performance edge of the 7mm WSM. If you're just starting out long range shooting, you won't be able to judge the wind well enough to tell the performance difference anyway.

You could go with a belted magnum, but I just don't see you getting anything extra. You also haven't said exactly what you consider "long range". Lots of times what people think of as "long range" is really "medium range" to long range shooters. If you're sensitive to recoil, there's probably not a lot of reason for you to step up to the WSM's. The .308 has been mentioned and it's a good cartridge. If you're reloading, it's gonna be really difficult for the .308 to hang with the .260 winchester. That's part of the main reason that I wouldn't recommend it as highly to you, and I'm guessing why Animalmother didn't either. He used to have a custom .308 (rebarreled), and I never bothered with one, lol; if that tells you anything. If you're going to mostly buy factory ammo, then I'd consider a .308. The .270 is pretty overbore, and probably just not going to serve you as well in terms of a true long range caliber. While there are getting to be more options, there's just not as many choices for high quality, low BC bullets for the .270. The .30-06 is a great caliber, but it's just kind of "in between" in the big picture. The .300 WSM will do everything that the .30-06 will and more, but with a lot less effort. Just some things to think about.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; October 26th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.

(Bucks County)

Add to my first post, I also shoot 6mm from time to time.

(Lehigh County)

When I get out, probably next year at this point...I'll likely be using my dad's .300 savage (if I can find ammo).

ETA: didn't vote, haven't gone hunting.
    Last edited by yeager484; October 26th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.

(York County)

I hunt with an old Turkish Mauser chambered in 8mm. Remington makes a pretty good hunting load for that round.

(Beaver County)

Of your 3 choices I'd probably pick the 30-06 because of ammo availability,and wide range of bullet weights ( lower prices) availabile in .30 caliber.

What I mostly carry during deer season is my Model 77 Ruger in 7mm magnum. (Or my dad's model 77 in 30-06 with 165 grain bullets ).
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

I voted for other. You'll never guess what.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I voted for other. You'll never guess what.
    Ummm..... 338 lapua?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by warpath9809 View Post
    Ummm..... 338 lapua?
    Nah, clearly, he went with .50BMG!

(Monroe County)

I personally use 243, but in your choices 30-06
    "If I had six hours to cut down a tree, I would take four hours sharpening my axe" Abraham Lincoln

(Mercer County)

I shot a buck one time with a .30-30. It ran fifty or so yards and I heard another shot. It was standing there bleeding out when the guy shot it, but that made it his deer. I now hunt with a .300 Weatherby Mag.

They don't run anymore.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast