Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Gun Shop mark up/profit

I have traded a few guns lately and been to a few new gun shops and this got me to thinking.

How much do shops REALLY make on any certain gun?

Do they make more on used then new?

Do all manufactures set there prices for shops?

What is the real profit for a glock 19/17/22/23 or M&P9, how about a smith 442 or colt gold cup? do higher priced guns have better or worse profit?

I see the SAME G19 Gen4 for 550/535/505(on sale)/575......

Then there is the internet VS brick and mortar, saw a 91/30 for 180, today shop owner said after shipping and transfer he is cheaper. This is true sometimes but....
    "If I had six hours to cut down a tree, I would take four hours sharpening my axe" Abraham Lincoln

(York County)

Default Re: Gun Shop mark up/profit

gun dealers are only really good at one thing: making a big fortune into a small one.

seriously, the margin is all over the place. most new guns are sold at 15-20% margin (dealer cost vs sale price), and most dealers try to sell used guns closer to 40-50% markup, at minimum (by paying less for them). shotshells and clay targets are loss leaders with 5-10% markup, and "outdoor gear" like goretex are usually at 60-100% markup. that is why they put the high margin stuff you really don't need between you and the door.

manufacturers suggest retail pricing, but the relationship a stocking dealer has with their distributors (discount) determines what price they need to put on the goods, in hopes of selling them. high competition drives pricing down, and remote location tends to counter that (prices higher in alaska).

(Monroe County)

So what is the average price on a glock from a distributor?
    "If I had six hours to cut down a tree, I would take four hours sharpening my axe" Abraham Lincoln

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by telopyros View Post
    So what is the average price on a glock from a distributor?
    I had the exact numbers but can't remember now. The margin is pretty tight on Glock pistols with stores making anywhere from $30 to $100 on one. Not a lot but Glock has tons of accessories for it, so stores can make up for it selling night sights, mags, upgrade parts, holsters, etc.

(Washington County)

I just ordered a glock 35 gen 4 fde. I was quoted $650. An average and fair price. I saw on the screen what the dealer was getting charged and it was $580.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Mercer County)

I do my home work before the purchase of a new or used firearm.

I know how much the Gun Dealer has paid the distributer for the new firearm and will make him a fair offer for the firearm. The price I offer is 10% to 15% over his cost, the harder the firearm is to get the closer I come to 15%.

When I buy used I work this way I research and find the fair market value of the used firearm and offer the dealer 10% to 15% more.

I have been firearms since the '50s and 9 out 10 times I walk with the firearm at my offered price.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    I know how much the Gun Dealer has paid the distributer for the new firearm and will make him a fair offer for the firearm.
    How much the dealer paid really has little to do with "fair price." Out of that pittance that you think the dealer deserves, he has to pay his workers, the rent, the utilities, taxes, licensing fees, and advertising.
    Last edited by Grey Bearded One; October 25th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    How much the deal paid really has little to do with "fair price." Out of that pittance that you think the dealer deserves, he has to pay his workers, the rent, the utilities, taxes, licensing fees, and advertising.
    Used guns, like most other products have a fair market value, or better a range of value depending on condition. With the internet, it is often possible to get a range of what people are willing to pay for certain guns. Yes, there are regional differences in retail gun prices, so that also has to be taken into consideration. I see nothing wrong with doing some research, then making a reasonable offer on used guns in a gun shop. At the very least one could ask, "will you take any less?".

In life, EVERYTHING is negotiable. If a gun shop can't stay in business getting fair market value for guns, then either their cost structure is too high, or the market just isn't there for their products/services.

Smile Re: Gun Shop mark up/profit

Just like many other businesses the markup can be all over the place,Guns in general if generic common and available the used buying price from a dealer will be lower than what they can buy for new thus passing a good deal onto the consumer.Good example is a Glock 19 used averages $425 for sale on pafoa,buy new and minimum is $505,so buying used is almost always a cash savings,When a seller bought a G-19 and paid lets say $525 and wants to sell but they want $475 that gun will always sit because the consumer is aware of what it can be had for.

(Allegheny County)

Dealer cost on a Glock 17/19/23/22,26,27, is $440 - so from there you can figure the mark up.

They pay more for some of the other ones. (34,35, 21, 20, etc...)
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast