Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Slug Gun Range Report

[IMG][/IMG]
    May your hands be warmed on a frosty day.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Slug Gun Range Report

I haven't been out this year yet to shoot my slug gun nor did I sight it in last year as I shot 2 crossbow deer and a rifle deer.

I have 2 slug gun targets on record. The first was in Mar of 09. I just wanted to see the difference between Rem copper solids and Lightfields at 100.

Slug Gun is an Ithaca Deerslayer. I opted for a 20" rifled bbl when Allegheny Co disallowed rifle shooting a few years ago

I didn't note all the particulars and due to the cost of these slugs, only shoot 2 shot groups just to see if the scope/SG combo hits where I want it to.
    The scope is a cheap Simmons 3X9. I chose this scope to be a "throwaway" not knowing if the slug gun would break the scope. That was in 89 and it's still on there.

The data on the Remington Copper Solids. They are a 1oz. hollow point.
    The muzzle velocity is 1450 out of a 30" bbl and I've never checked what it is out of my 20" bbl. The box says these drop 9.4" at 100.
    I'd have to find the box of Lightfields but IIRC, the slug is heavier than the solids. I was surprised that both hit just about the same at elevation given the difference in slug weight. ( If I find a box, I'll edit this). The 2 lightfields are on the left and the 2 solids are on the right.

The second target was 2 years ago and I only shot 2 Rem Copper solids at 100 yds. I just shot to see that the combo was still OK.

Ive tried these.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Not bad at all, is that a fixed barrel Ithaca or switch barrel with any alterations?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OnHoPr View Post
    Not bad at all, is that a fixed barrel Ithaca or switch barrel with any alterations?
    I can remove the barrel and used to to clean it. IIRC the POI changed a bit when I removed it so haven't taken it off in years.

The BRI sabots were the first of that style and shot well but had no hollowed out area. Winchester bought them out and had a variation of standard velocity in 2 3/4" and 3". They also had a high velocity round in 2 3/4" ( not sure if they had 3" in hi vel.). The 2 3/4" grouped better in my gun but it's been quite a while so can't remember if the hi velocity shells did better or no.
    The Federals and Rottweils didn't do well in my gun.

My hunting buddy gave me a box of Rem copper solids and the groups came in a lot. I've been using them. At some gun show, I found a guy selling 7 boxes at $7 per box and took them all. I only shoot a couple rounds to verify zero and for the most part have only used a round to collect up a doe in our extended season (after Christmas to end of Jan). Two years ago I shot a doe downhill at 70+ and down in 20yds.

I know there are new, probably cheaper options but as long as i have these, I will continue to use them up. I would probably have switched to Lightfields as they seemed to group well. We'll see when the time comes.

The gun is a stock Ithaca with no mods except the 20" bbl. I opted for this because I hunt in some really thick stuff and it seemed logical to have something more compact in the shorter bbl.

Here are the slugs I have used followed by another pic which I can't date. I probably didn't have backer cardboard and used a piece I had drawn a pistol sight picture on for some instructional session.

Gun.

Last edited by 27hand; October 25th, 2013 at 10:22 AM.

Well, I have to say that's a good shooting slug gun. If you hunt the thick stuff the heavies will work real good. That's pretty good to stay on target close to bull year after year and with different ammo. Have you ever shot a deer with the rem copper on the bottom center and recovered the bullet? What is the slug on the bottom right?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OnHoPr View Post
    Well, I have to say that's a good shooting slug gun. If you hunt the thick stuff the heavies will work real good. That's pretty good to stay on target close to bull year after year and with different ammo. Have you ever shot a deer with the rem copper on the bottom center and recovered the bullet? What is the slug on the bottom right?
    I have never recovered a copper solid or parts of one. Through and through and probably got close to a dozen deer with that combo.

The slugs standing correspond to the boxes in the earlier post with the exception of the two on the upper left. I mixed up the 3" Winchester with the 2 3/4" Winchester,

The lower right is the Rottweil Brenneke 3" and if I remember, did not group well with my rifled bbl.

The lower left red cased BRI sabot was the one I made my longest shot on a deer ever at 95 paces.

I did recover parts of a 20 ga slug. Cheap Remingtons which I shot a 6 point at 35-40 yds with my old Savage model 30 beater rabbit gun. The slug blew apart in the deer & my neighbor found 3 or 4 pieces when he cut it up for me.

Midway has a sale on Rem Accutips. I ordered 4 boxes today and one box of Hornady SST's ( just to see how they fly out of my SG). The Accutips were 12.99 bx and the Hornady's were 12.49. Shipping was about $12 so add $2.50 or so to those prices.

Midway also has a Rem 18" 870 mod choked smoothbore with rifle sights for $159 that I was kicking around for my Express Magnum which currently has a 18" beaded bbl on it. I've read that IC bbls are better so have to read some more to see if I want to get that. It's my HD gun but always wanted rifle sights to maybe use it in a class. I have only shot it a few times and should see where and how it groups before doing that. We'll see.