Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Luzerne County Councilman has a bad idea...

If this bozo wants to tax a 'privilege' then tax a drivers license!

Remember both sides can play the racist game: in many locations where politicians make concealed carry very expensive (i.e. Chitcago), the majority of people that come out on the losing end are the minorities; they can not afford to legally protect themselves. Mr. Luzerne county (D?) is now an honorary racist!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFUG36 View Post
    Sure they can raise it to $150. I suggest, along the lines of this thinking increasing the time it is valid to 37 years...seems reasonable....
    i dont like odd numbers. a cool forty years should do the trick

(Luzerne County)

Here is his email....... rmorelli@luzernecounty.org

(Lackawanna County)

Email Sent:

Dear Councilman Rick Morelli,

I recently had the oppertunity to read the article published in today's Citizens Voice titled "Increase cost of conceal-and-carry gun permits". While I applaud your efforts to raise money for your county, ther are a few things you should be aware of when it comes to this action that you propose, First and foremost its not called a concealed carry permit, its is called a License to carry a firearm, no where on the LTCF is the word concealed. Secondly and this is actually mre important, the $20 fee for a 5 year license is actually state regulated, not county regulated. Many years ago the State of PA made it a universal fee that was regulated and the same across the state, so in other words you can not increase the fee from $20 to $150.

Please respond back to my inquisition at your earliest convinence or if u have any questions id be happy to answer them,

Thanks for your time,

Rob

(Lackawanna County)

Got a response:

Rob,

Thank you for your email and information. The reason I brought this idea to the floor was to help look for new ways on increase our county revenue.

Understand it's our job to ask questions and hopefully find ways to dig ourselves out of this huge financial hole we are in.

Thank you again for your response and have a great day.

Rick Morelli

My Response to that was:

Thats fine Mr. Morelli but you cant charge more for something that is regulated by the State of PA. Like i said in my previous email a few years back each county was setting their own prices for a LTCF then the state decided to FORMALLY regulate all LTCF's to a $20 fee for 5 years. If you dont believe what I am saying you can check it out for yourself .

Rob

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RBELARDI View Post
    Got a response:

Rob,

Thank you for your email and information. The reason I brought this idea to the floor was to help look for new ways on increase our county revenue.

Understand it's our job to ask questions and hopefully find ways to dig ourselves out of this huge financial hole we are in.

Rick Morelli

My Response to that was:

Thats fine Mr. Morelli but you cant charge more for something that is regulated by the State of PA. Like i said in my previous email a few years back each county was setting their own prices for a LTCF then the state decided to FORMALLY regulate all LTCF's to a $20 fee for 5 years. If you dont believe what I am saying you can check it out for yourself .

Rob
    Good job on getting a dialog started. You should also maybe point out that they should be trying to find a means for cutting costs before they look for a way to raise revenue.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I sent him an email with a link to the UFA as well as quoted the relevant text. Here is the UFA, and the quote:
    (h) Fee.--
    (1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii) and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes all of the following:
    (i) A renewal notice processing fee of $1.50.
    (ii) An administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the act of July 6, 1984 (P.L.614, No.127), known as the Sheriff Fee Act.
    (2) (Expired).
    (3) An additional fee of $1 shall be paid by the applicant for a license to carry a firearm and shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License Validation System Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury. The account shall be used for purposes under subsection (l). Moneys credited to the account and any investment income accrued are hereby appropriated on a continuing basis to the Pennsylvania State Police.
    (4) No fee other than that provided by this subsection or the Sheriff Fee Act may be assessed by the sheriff for the performance of any background check made pursuant to this act.
    (5) The fee is payable to the sheriff to whom the application is submitted and is payable at the time of application for the license.
    (6) Except for the administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the Sheriff Fee Act, all other fees shall be refunded if the application is denied but shall not be refunded if a license is issued and subsequently revoked.
    (7) A person who sells or attempts to sell a license to carry a firearm for a fee in excess of the amounts fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.
    Here is the Luzerne County Council contact info page.

Let's light up their inboxes, ladies and gentlemen.

(Delaware County)

Like i said in my previous email a few years back each county was setting their own prices for a LTCF then the state decided to FORMALLY regulate all LTCF's to a $20 fee for 5 years. If you dont believe what I am saying you can check it out for yourself .

Rob
    Minor.... Correction...

The state didn't impose any changes to formally regulate the application fee because counties were charging more than the state regulated fee...

The counties were changing more because... THEY WERE BREAKING THE LAW
    The regulation "changes" were in the process and computer system on how application were processed. It didn't change the fee (except the 5$ reduction from 25 to 20 on the expiration of the modernization act)

Sheriffs charging 45, 50 even 75 dollars was them breaking the law

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Minor.... Correction...

The state didn't impose any changes to formally regulate the application fee because counties were charging more than the state regulated fee...

The counties were changing more because... THEY WERE BREAKING THE LAW
    The regulation "changes" were in the process and computer system on how application were processed. It didn't change the fee (except the 5$ reduction from 25 to 20 on the expiration of the modernization act)

Sheriffs charging 45, 50 even 75 dollars was them breaking the law
    My Apoligies . . .

(Lackawanna County)

Got a response:

Rob,

Rick Morelli

My Response to that was:

Rob
    Last response from him

I believe what you are saying and not disputing it. I'm just looking for ways to get revenue and not just increasing taxes. As I stated last night, I want to see all the areas where we have permits and fees and see where we can go.

Regarding the gun permit, I do intend to bring it up to state legislatures to change the law if we can't do anything on our end. Just because its a law doesn't mean it can't be changed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast