Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Those pesky .22 rimfire fail to fires

I can't speak for others and haven't posted yet regarding the modification.

My concern, however, is that you modified your gun to shoot perhaps the worst rimfire ammo available. I gave 1,100 rounds of Remington Gold to a friend who shoots only revolver and bolt action. The Remingtons are notorious for breaking extractors and now that you modified your gun for a steady diet of Gold Bullets, I fear that your troubles are just beginning.

At Appleseed shoots we are seeing numerous extractor failures with Remington. Not at our shoot, but one shooter was sent to the ER, because debris from the spit casing made it over his glasses and into his eye. Fortunately, nothing serious and of course his extractor was trashed.

Remington has been aware, was paying for extractors, then came out with the New and Improved. Well guess what, most new and young shooters use 22 rimfire and for a company to have ignored the issue for as long as they have is inexcusable. They lost all of my rimfire ammo business.

On the off chance that myself or someone loaded a Remington Gold Bullet into my semi-auto, I would consider it a blessing that it didn't fire.

No gun is perfect. Your Rugers are fine weapons and deserve as good a diet as any good bird dog. Folks get into rimfire because it's cheap. Well, lately, nothing is cheap. Ruger's, and most rimfire guns, don't need filet mignon, but McDonald's won't cut it either. IMHO.
    Last edited by joseywales; October 24th, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Bucks County)

Appreciate the info and concerns. Be assured, I have not modified to exclusively accommodate any specific brand of .22LR. Gold was not the only brand failing.

I'll look for split brass. Interesting...since .22LR can't be reloaded, it tends to be swept up and dumped and signs like that could go unnoticed if the gun is running OK.

I examined the ones I was studying of course, before, during and after the mods and there were no signs of brass failures. I attend meetings at two gun clubs and this is the first I have heard of this situation. Makes me concerned that a safety issue that bad hasn't been announced or discussed. Same with a couple of ranges I use....no notices, unless it has been a recent discovery. Haven't noticed any recalls or notices in gun magazine publications. Not doubting you...just find it curious and a bit of a concern.

As a matter of fact...I just now called the busiest, most-alleys range in the area, of which I am a member and spoke with them. They are not aware of any of these allegations re Remington bulk .22LR. Isn't that interesting?

(Lawrence County)

I've heard of it several times now, google remington 22 split cases and you'll find dozens of threads about it. Happens with the subsonics also. It is interesting that your local range claims to know nothing about it since it's been happening for years.

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I've heard of it several times now, google remington 22 split cases and you'll find dozens of threads about it. Happens with the subsonics also. It is interesting that your local range claims to know nothing about it since it's been happening for years.
    Exactly. Many a Ruger 1022 extractor has suffered the fate. And now the S&W MP22 ARs are being hit as well. It's nothing new. Check

Why do you think Remington came out with the New and Improved! bulk boxes??? Do they even explain on the box what is new? Wax coating perhaps???

I don't believe everything I read on the Internet, but for me, there has been enough talk and pictorial evidence that unless it's a widespread conspiracy, there has to be something to this.

Lots of folks will defend the Gold Bullet and I have some from the 70s and 80s that's probably fine. And industry rags are not about to go up against one of the big boys. I think some say, eh...it's just rimfire, what can you expect. The problem with that is as I stated earlier: Rimfire is mostly what new and youth shooters start with and in my mind should be the safest, not the cheapest. But this started about 5 years ago?? And it hasn't let up. Folks have published letters from Remington, where they pay for the replacement of the extractor, etc., etc. but never admit guilt.

What I don't see is folks complaining about any other brand as consistently as the Gold Bullet, nor have a I found any posts about other brand breaking extractors. Maybe it's a hoax, but there are plenty of 22 rimfire rounds that no one is complaining about, so I don't feel the need to use Remington.

As far as gun club experience, try talking with those who have outdoor ranges and Appleseed type programs. Firing thousands of rounds there's bound to be someone that experienced it. Again, it just doesn't seem to get reported with any other ammo. Our club uses Aquila without any issues.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Lancaster County)

I have a box of Remington golds that someone gave me. I tried them in my AR with my .22 conversion. They didn't do well, I had more stoppages with them than I did with bulk boxes of Federal. I gave the box to the kids to shoot out of their Thompson hotshot.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Firing pin, spring and channel were pristine. Not a "typical Ruger problem" in my (since 1955) experience... but then I thoroughly clean after every shoot. Sounds like you don't.
    bill ruger knew how to do one thing right, and that was design guns.

if you were using the original spring, then it was prolly a weak spring that was your original problem. the coil spring out of a BIC pen is a suitable replacement, in my experience.

gotta love guys who know better than the people who become rich on a single design that has been in production for 50 years or so, in one config or another.

(Bucks County)

Gotta love guys that post guesses and insults.The world is full of people who come up with ideas. Sorry you are threatened by that.

So, a post that reads like a lot of experience with the Gold bulk turned out to be a single incident that happened somewhere else, and the question is "it a hoax"?, don't know, but won't use Remington because of reports on the internet.

Both the clubs I belong to have outdoor ranges and Appleseed shoots at one of them.

You know, this is a gunsmithing thread. I was just posting to the appropriate category. Don't like the idea that worked for me, that's fine.

Moving on.....
    Last edited by Bang; October 24th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

you cant fix something that is not broken, the design of the Ruger standard/Mk1 is not broken and does not require "fixing" and grinding on something with a dremel tool, without understanding what you are doing, is NEVER a good idea

(York County)

the house i own has a "kitchen porch range" with "old potatoe shoots" on a regular basis. so what? ruger knew what he was doing. grinding on a firing pin is not gunsmithing. show me something important. show me a gun you built from scratch, or a bunch of old junk parts. show me a gun you changed calibers on, or some such.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    your original problem was dirt in the firing pin coil spring. this is typical of the ruger 22 semi-autos.
    99% of the time, this is the problem. most never take out the firing pin to clean and lightly lube it. and one should NEVER dry fire a rimfire.
    Last edited by yukon375; October 25th, 2013 at 08:47 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast