Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default sub 18" bbl , +26" overall, non NFA, ''firearm'' (shotgun?)

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

I get a lot of questions from customers about the “new” ATF ruling regarding pistol-grip-only (PGO) firearms with 14″ barrels that aren’t considered NFA items.

Well, first off, let me say, it’s not a new ruling. It’s the same position that ATF has always taken regarding PGO firearms that fire a fixed shotgun shell that have NEVER had a buttstock attached to them—they’re NOT shotguns! They’re simply firearms. As such, they don’t necessarily need to have 18″+ barrels on them to remain out of the purview of the NFA.

You see, the very definition of a “shotgun” requires that it be “designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder…” Without a buttstock ever having been fitted to the PGO firearms in question, they can’t be fired from the shoulder and are therefore not shotguns. Hence, with a 14″ barrel, they can’t be considered short-barreled shotguns, as they aren’t shotguns to begin with. Read the full definition of a shotgun here.

PGO firearms that remain longer than 26″ in overall length also can’t be defined as AOWs. That’s because the term “any other weapon” (AOW) means “any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person…” And ATF maintains that to be concealed, the firearm needs to be shorter than 26″. Read the full definition of an AOW here.
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; October 22nd, 2013 at 03:45 PM.

Default Re: sub 18" bbl , +26" overall, non NFA, ''firearm'' (shotgun?)

If this all pans out, I might just become a shotgun owner!
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

I wouldn't want to be the test case for that. Remember most of these 1 traffic light town cops don't know the laws and will arrest you anyway for having one.

It's hard enough to worry about carrying a pistol around.

(Northampton County)

What test case? This is old hat. Not like you'd carry one around with you.

yeah those are dated three years ago

(Jefferson County)

This was discussed here awhile back.

Even though it is non-NFA - it may be one of 2 types of firearms that you cannot own in PA.

PA's exemption for such things requires that you legally own it through NFA channels, but since it isn't a NFA device you cannot register it as such. Thus it would be a prohibited offensive weapon.

PA's definition of "shotgun" doesn't require it to have had a stock. Just merely having a barrel less than 18" will qualify it as a prohibited offensive device. Since exemption(b)(1) cannot be met, you cannot possess it in PA.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I have the Raptor grip and love it (with my standard 18.5" barrel). Recoil is not an issue so long as you respect that you're shooting what amounts to a 12 gauge pistol.

I'll eventually NFA the shotgun, but for now I'm OK as it is. It's short enough already that the first thing I get asked when it makes an appearance is "is that thing legal?"

(Butler County)

I also just got a raptor grip for my NEF Pardner Pump and with the standard 18.5 barrel it seems plenty short enough. The only nice thing is it would not be as front heavy