Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Re: Travelling in Erie area

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Nope! Can get to about the edge of the water, not quite out onto the the dam itself. I remember as a kid going all the way across, but that's been 40 years or so.
    You can see in this pic the gate that stops pedestrians.
    http://www.theallegheny.com/Kinzua_Dam
    I couldn't find the actual date they stopped it, I believe it was in the mid seventies.
    I have done it since then. I moved to Franklin in 1991. I recall that gate (Unless there was another as well at one time) and at times it was open! Was it during the day or after hours? Maybe they close it after hours and I happened to visit during weekday / working hours? (Should also add that most people would go on weekends and holidays when it would also be non-working hours as well.)

In any event, it is a great place to visit on your way through and I hope the OP has the time to do so. The best place is to get at the base of the dam (which is also gated but open during business hours, I think). I have gotten wet from the mist and stood seemingly feet away as the water shot past. Your pic shows a view from the actual parking lot and not the station on the right.

ETA =
    You can see in this short youtube video what I am talking about the lower spot. They also have the lower gates open which pushes water straight out very far. Different than the normal spillway pix higher up the dam:

Last edited by TaePo; October 25th, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Grove City Outlets shopping tip:

Follow the other vehicles with Ontario license plates and they will guide you in!

Jules

P.S. Gun World in Harrisville, PA is a good stop and not far from the Outlets.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I have done it since then. I moved to Franklin in 1991. I recall that gate (Unless there was another as well at one time) and at times it was open! Was it during the day or after hours? Maybe they close it after hours and I happened to visit during weekday / working hours? (Should also add that most people would go on weekends and holidays when it would also be non-working hours as well.)
    Possibly. I only ever went on the weekends.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Grove City Outlets shopping tip:

Follow the other vehicles with Ontario license plates and they will guide you in!

Jules

I try to make it up there every week or so. They have a good selection. If the OP would want to go there, they could drive down the road another fifteen minutes, and meet me at the local range lol.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Wow thanks for all the info and particularly for the invites. Amazing thing about gun owners, they aren't afraid of strangers!
    I've programmed all the suggestions in the GPS and we will hit whatever's close when we have time.
    That Allegheny forest looks like it's going to be a trip for next summer after the kids lacrosse season is finished.

(Erie County)

Well, since it's going to be a separate trip, add Lecthworth state park in New York. Billed as "The Grand Canyon of the East."
    http://nysparks.com/parks/79/details.aspx
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

The last time I stopped by, sometime in the summer, the display cases were pretty bare. That was in the middle of all the Sandy Hook madness though.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

(Venango County)

Outdoor Outfitters in Knox is a great shop. They are less than 30 minutes from Grove City on I80. Then continue down I80 for another 30 minutes and visit Grices. Stop by Titusville and tour the Oil Museum. Titusville is the birthplace of the oil industry.

Quote Originally Posted by verno View Post
    Wow thanks for all the info and particularly for the invites. Amazing thing about gun owners, they aren't afraid of strangers!
    I've programmed all the suggestions in the GPS and we will hit whatever's close when we have time.
    That Allegheny forest looks like it's going to be a trip for next summer after the kids lacrosse season is finished.
    How was your trip?

How was your trip?
    We are looking at Dec 6th weekend for our trip. I spent a bit more than planned on my deer hunt this year (damn atv's), so we may have to forego a shopping trip and just head down in the summer with the kids to do some camping and fishing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast