Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best Kahr?

(Dauphin County)

Default best Kahr?

There have been a few threads lately where some Kahrs are breaking. I was thinking of getting a Glock 19 or a Kahr. Are there any Kahr experts out there that know statistically which Kahr model is the most reliable & durable. How does it compair with the Glock 19?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: best Kahr?

IMHO the best Kahr pistols are the steel ones. The K, mk, and T series pistols all are very reliable smooth shooting weapons.

The polymer series ones are more sensitive to stovepiping and breakage. The tradeoff is weight. A lighter gun kicks more, that recoil affects the gun and shooter.
    Last edited by thelemite; May 11th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.

(Chester County)

Kahr's don't have the reliability that the 9mm Glocks do...in any format.
    If you can carry the Glock, do so. If you need to go smaller, then the Kahrs are still a good option.

I've seen quite a few of them run well on any ammo. I might expect needing to break them in, and maybe send em back once....but if you put the energy into making sure the gun will run for you, I'd feel comfortable carrying one.

(Allegheny County)

A while back my K-40 was my primary CCW. It seemed a bit thinner than my G23 and carried IWB a tad more comfortably. I also have a T-9 that I really like to shoot. All that said, my current CCW is a G36. But I would have confidence in carrying any of the steel Kahrs.

(York County)

I have had my Kahr MK40 for a few months now and have put 750+ rounds through it without a single issue. I am extremely pleased with the accuracy and feel, along with the quality. As a previous poster mentioned, the MK40 is a metal gun, so it is heavy. I carry mine IWB everyday, all day and don't mind it one bit. I looked at many of the Glocks, but I just couldn't get by the fact that the MK40 was so small! If I know what I know now and could go back and make the decision again, I would purchase the same gun. HTH
    All of my guns have recently disappeared. "The Constitution of the United States guarantees to you the right to bear arms...You have the unquestioned right, under the law, to defend your life and protect the sanctity of your fireside. Failing in either, you are a coward and a craven and undeserving of the name of man." Eugene V. Debs

(Delaware County)

Red face Re: best Kahr?

I have had a Kahr K9 Elite'03 since it was introduced. I like it very much. Hundreds of rounds through it, all kinds of ammo, ball, hollowpoints, +P, no problems. Had a problem when it was brand new with the slide lock, it would catch the slide and hold it open before the last round but a call to Kahr and they sent me a new slide lock and I have not had a problem since. This gun has a fantastic feel to it. Fits my hand great and is a pretty accurate short barreled 9mm. Comfortable carry IWB due to it being as slim as it is. All that being said, my wife carries a Glock 26 and even though it is a little bit wider I think I like it a tad more than the Kahr. The grip is shorter and helps being more comfortable carrying, and you get a couple more rounds to carry with the stock magazines in the Glock. They are both fine weapons, but I have been taking the Glock with me lately when the Mrs. lets me.

(Delaware County)

I have the Kahr CW9, and yes it broke, the trigger bar snapped, Kahr replaced it and it works fine again, you have to keep in mind though I shoot my guns a lot, the Kahr had around 4500 rounds thru it when it broke. Not to make excuses for the gun but I really don't think it was designed for the heavy shooting I do. It is designed to be an excellent concealed carry gun and that it does well. I love the gun, my only regret is I wish I got it's twin the P9 as you can't put night sights on the CW9.

Bill

I would select a Glock 19 without hesitation over any Kahr.
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40sw View Post
    I would select a Glock 19 without hesitation over any Kahr.
    I have both the Glock 19 and a Kahr MK9. I do love that 19, but it doesn't conceal as well as the little Kahr does.
    So, for maximum concealment in a good caliber, I'd suggest the Kahr (MK series). If maximum concealment isn't an issue, then it's the Glock.

Of course, I carry a revolver much more often then a semi-auto.

RoyJackson:
    I do agree about the size differential, but if thats an issue, then a Glock 26 or 27 would be ideal.
    I am not trying to badmouth Kahr, but as a firearms instructors who administers CWP classes to hundreds of students every year, I have witnessed numerous malfunctions with Kahrs and alot of bad feedback from students with respect to service and reliability issues.
    If you asked me to select 5 semi autos that I get the most positive feedback about and the ones that I witness displaying the highest level of reliability, I would select the following.
    1. Glock.
    2. Springfield XD (as reliable as any Glock ).
    3. Any SIG.
    4. Bersa Thunder.
    5. CZ-75

Now, to be fair to Kahr, many of my students bring a brand new out of the box pistol to qualify with and I know that Kahrs have a 200 rd breakin period minimum, but as far as out of the box reliability, The Glock 19, Springfield XD, and the Sig 226 seem to have the best out of the box reliability. In most cases of out the box reliability is indicative of good long term reliability as well.
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast