Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New To Shotguns Recommendations

I am interested in purchasing a shotgun for home defense and possible shooting, I am thinking of something with an 18' barrel and either pump or semi-auto. What would you recommend, I am interested in taking the NRA First Steps Shotgun and Basic Shotgun class if it is ever offered in the Phila. area. What would you recommend and what accessories would you also suggest

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: New To Shotguns Recommendations

It depends on what you mean by "shooting". Shotgun barrels are very easy to change on most pump and autoloader models, but some brands can be expensive. Pumps are cheaper, while autos will be faster for most people (not all) and usually have less felt recoil.

Lycanmoreinfothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

depends on what you want to spend...

for $200 you have the maverick 88, hawk 981r / 982 or an h&r pardner. for twice that you can get a mossberg 500 or remington 870 with a few dollars left over.

I don't have any experience with semi-autos so I will leave that to someone else.

Accessory wise most people will tell you to get a light, I would recommend the speefeed or raptor grip over a pistol grip if you are not going with a full stock.

(Lancaster County)

Your probably going to get a lot of information on this topic, if your looking for home defense they are a lot of inexpensive options out there. I prefer a pump myself it has that nice sound when you rack it but then again maybe you wish to be quiet then a semi auto is nice. I have a Remington 870 express 18". As for accessories I have none but then again you might want to deck yours out pistol grip no stock etc.

Really if your just looking for home defense and not planning on taking it out for trap or skeet you can pick up a pump for as reasonable price. Semi auto will cost a little more although nothing says get out quite like the sound of a pump action 12 gauge putting a shell in the pipe.

If you've never used/fired a gun it wouldnt hurt to take a safety class of some sort. Your local gun shop should be able to provide classes or class locations. Of nothing else most good shops will take the time to educate you as well just ask them. Other wise I'm sure several folks here will provide you with good information to help you make an informed decision.
    Last edited by HKusp 45; October 20th, 2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: cause trap is spelled with an r

These guys are right, let us know what your price range is and what "shooting" consists of. Paper targets, clay birds, hunting, block shooting matches? The varied uses will make a big difference in recommendations but there are a few shotguns out there that will meet multiple needs.

Just because your primary use may be home defense does not limit you to an 18 inch barrel. There are some great 20 guage field guns that come with barrels in lengths just a little longer. Whether you have an 18" or 26" barrel, it's still a lot of gun to swing around the corner from your hiding spot when the bad guy is kicking in the bedroom door.

I have a Mossberg 590 military version and several full length shotguns. At the distance I would be shooting in/around my house, I'd feel adequate with a number of options.