Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Measuring Sig sight height

My Sig 239 is shooting low, most likely operator error, but I wanted to see which sights are installed since I bought it used and it looked like the rear sight had some marks on it indicating it might have been changed.

The front is marked 8, but there is no size indicated on the rear sight. Measuring from the bottom of the base to the top of the sight gives me the measurement for a #7 sight, not the #8 as marked and if measured from the top of the slide as I have seen aftermarket sights specify, it is not anywhere close to any of the Sig sight sizes. How are Sig sights measured?

Default Re: Measuring Sig sight height

Been there and done that with a P220 and a P226, which I no longer own (nothing wrong with either gun). I don't use dots, so there's no way I'm dicking around with changing sights that may not even be marked or measured, correctly. I prefer to machine (uhh........hand powered machine) my adjustments.

If you like the challenge of changing out Sig sights:

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30414

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...howtopic=92287

There are a couple of good sub links, here, as well.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ischgl99 View Post
    My Sig 239 is shooting low, most likely operator error, but I wanted to see which sights are installed since I bought it used and it looked like the rear sight had some marks on it indicating it might have been changed.

The front is marked 8, but there is no size indicated on the rear sight. Measuring from the bottom of the base to the top of the sight gives me the measurement for a #7 sight, not the #8 as marked and if measured from the top of the slide as I have seen aftermarket sights specify, it is not anywhere close to any of the Sig sight sizes. How are Sig sights measured?
    How low and at what distances. From what I recall, Sig sights come from the factory so that point of IMPACT is directly behind the front dot. In other words, if you are attempting to use a 6 o'clock hold at 15 yards, you are going to have an impact at 6 o'clock.
    Jules

http://pistol-training.com/archives/1361
    Last edited by ar15jules; October 20th, 2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added link

(Monroe County)

Sig sights depends on caliber, what caliber 239 do you have?

SIG has a chart on their website that will tell you what sight you need/should have based on caliber. e.g. .357 shoots extremely flat and do not need a high rear sight.

Generally #8 is never used on a 239, but if you are shooting heavy 180 grn .40's it will work for you.

It's 9mm. I am shooting 3" low at 10 yards aiming at the center of the target and was using the top of the sights instead of the dots as I found out after I got home from the range I should have been using. #2 instead of #3 in the photo of the link provided by ar15. That will explain some of the low issue, but didn't think it explained all of it and wanted to look into what was installed on the gun to rule out the sights before the next trip to the range.

I wasn't planning on changing them out at this point, but when I started measuring the front sight to determine where I should be measuring for the back, I found a measured height difference of only o.25mm (0.01") and my Hi Power, also in 9mm, has a difference in sight height of 1.6mm (0.06") and shoots POA with pretty much anything I shoot through it.

Wouldn't the 239 require a higher rear sight like my Hi Power? I remeasured the sights on my surface plate and it appears both are #8. I didn't find the chart on the Sig site, do you have a link for it mrnyman?

(Lackawanna County)

My p229 shot low with a 8 front sight. I switched it to a 6 sight and it is dead on now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ischgl99 View Post
    I found a measured height difference of only o.25mm (0.01") and my Hi Power, also in 9mm, has a difference in sight height of 1.6mm (0.06") and shoots POA with pretty much anything I shoot through it.

Wouldn't the 239 require a higher rear sight like my Hi Power? I remeasured the sights on my surface plate and it appears both are #8. I didn't find the chart on the Sig site, do you have a link for it mrnyman?
    These guns have a different sight radius distance. 5.2" on the Sig verses 6.5 on the Browning, so you cannot go by that, though a higher rear sight would work in raising the group.

3" low at 10 yards is: sight radius x inches low. The product of that divided by shooting distance in inches. 5.2x3=15.6/360"=.04". You could lower the front sight by 4/100" or divide that distance between the front and rear sight.
    Last edited by harold63; October 20th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I just looked at my P239 and it has a #6 front sight and a #8 rear sight. It's .40 S&W, however.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm going to take another trip to the range and see how much better I shoot with the dots over the target, then look into changing the sight heights to something more suitable for 9mm.

(Monroe County)

>40 SaW and 9mm Sigs use the same sights, #6 front and #8 rear.

Remember Sig do not use the 6"Oclock hold, you shoot it like a Beretta front sight in the center of the Target. If you use the 6"Oclock hold you are going to hit low as expected.
    It's a gun meant for combat, point it COM and pull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast