Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Ruger can be better than Glock!!

Ruger's website says that the SR9 is the first in a line of striker fired pistols. The current SR9 is about the size of a Glock 17, but weighs a lot more. Do you think that Ruger, with further study and engineering, can make Glock obsolete in America with the rest of this line of pistols? I would love to see an American gun company overtake Glock in reliability and sales... anyone with me here? Where is Ruger's equivalent to the G19? Come on, Prescott... you can do it!
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

Default Re: Ruger can be better than Glock!!

i think just as with any other product you will have the die hards that refuse to try anything else. nothing wrong with someone prefering a single brand.

i HATE composite pistols, but i did just pick up an XD45 the other day. not EVERYONE is so open minded...
    This Space For Rent

I do not think so.

I'm a HUGE Ruger fan. I've long admired them for their ruggedness, reliability, and good price. I was most willing to buy an SR9 until I read reviews of terrible triggers, and mediocre accuracy.

Since I'd read the same things about the P89s when they came out, I was willing to check out the SR9, still with a eye to buying. I found the P89 had plenty acceptable, though not spectucular, accuracy, a trigger that was just fine, and it embodied all the above traits I admired so much. If it didn't feel like a 2x4 in my hand, I'd still own that and my P94 to this day.

Then I held the gun. The first thing I noticed was that the grip was fantastic. The second, and more enduring, impression was that the gun felt cheap and shoddy somehow. Not something I thought I'd think of a Ruger, and I honestly can't put my finger on what made me feel that way. The frame material seemed thin and fragile, the gun rattled too much, I just was overwhelmingly unimpressed
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Chester County)

Considering that they just had to recall them...I don't think they'll be doing it anytime soon.

The SR9 rear sight is the size of a house....I can't think of anyone who wants to make a replacement night sight, for it. The trigger pull makes the Glock look like a custom shop 1911, and the disassembly is less convenient than any alternative.

I don't see what this gun has on the Glock.... it's "slimmer"??

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdpate View Post
    Do you think that Ruger, with further study and engineering, can make Glock obsolete in America with the rest of this line of pistols?
    They've had nearly 25 years to perfect their initial attempt. It was immediately recalled from the market. That alone makes me think "no."

The Sigma didn't make the Glock obsolete.
    The USP didn't make the Glock obsolete.
    The FNH didn't make the Glock obsolete.
    The XD didn't make the Glock obsolete.
    The M&P didn't make the Glock obsolete.
    The KPD didn't make the Glock obsolete.
    The M40 didn't make the Glock obsolete.
    The SigPro didn't make the Glock obsolete.

Don't get me wrong. I'd very much like to see something NEW come out of Austria. It bothers me that they sit smugly on their 1980s design. (As if they are convinced that when someone finally does make the Glock obsolete, it should be THEM!) The XD and M&P are serious contenders... but nobody has knocked them down yet.

(Bedford County)

Glock is an absolutely profound weapon... I just wish it had American origins.

Listen up Ruger, Smith and Wesson, etc... the reason that Glock is the best pistol is the low weight and high capacity. Get your weights down, and your mag capacity up, and we can beat them.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

(Chester County)

Listen up Ruger, Smith and Wesson, etc... the reason that Glock is the best pistol is the low weight and high capacity. Get your weights down, and your mag capacity up, and we can beat them.
    I think reliability, durability, and simplicity of design have something to do with it, too.

The M&P competes well with its weight and capacity...the other parts hold it back some, though.

(Dauphin County)

How about the new concepts and an original design that 25 + years ago made it a great pistol.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I think reliability, durability, and simplicity of design have something to do with it, too.

The M&P competes well with its weight and capacity...the other parts hold it back some, though.
    Yes, you're right. Reliability, durability, simplicity. But why does no American gun compete with it in these same aspects? Surely Ruger or S&W has the know-how and funds to make a better mousetrap. I'll be waiting for them... but until then, I'll have a Glock handy at all times.

(Monroe County)

Glock has carved its niche in the American psyche that will no time soon go away.

When one thinks of an high capacity , low eight , extremely reliable , tough as nails Gun with a nice trigger one automatically thinks Glock.

The closest thing to a glock in terms of quality and endurance is the HK usp series. (In polymer Guns) Smith and Wesson has inflicted on the Public that ugly monstrosity with its ugly un-aesthetic grip and ugly Scalloped slide serrations called the M&P series, they should have just put a better trigger on the SIGMA and be done with it as the SIGMA is a more beautiful and reliable gun than the M&P , atleast none of the SigmAS WERE EVER recalled.

Ruger just cant get it that people who spends $400 to $600 on a Pistol expects a nice trigger on thier Gun.

I an not a Glock Fan , i only own 2 a model 32 and a model 26. So i am in no way biased .

The problem with the American Guns is not the weight and capacity, its the terrible triggers and ugly Aesthetics.

Since Smith &Wesson hadd to pay Glock 3.5 million dollars for Patent infringements , they should have just made the Sigma a better Glock.

Believe it or not the Sigma is Smith & Wesson's best selling Gun.

nyman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast