Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question on powders

I am getting ready to load up some .44 magnum rounds, and was looking over the charts to see what would work in the way for the powder and primers I have on hand. I noticed that IMR-4227 calls for standard large pistol primers, and H-4227 calls for magnum large pistol primers. I remember reading somewhere, although I do not recall where, that both designations were essentially the same for a given number. That does not seem to be the case upon checking the manual. Can anyone explain the difference to me?

On top of that, while I have both types of primers on the shelf (CCI), I also have Winchester primers that say they can be used for either magnum or standard pistol loads. Am I reading it correctly to understand that I could use either IMR-4227 or H-4227 with the Winchester primers? If anyone has any enlightenment on that one as well, I would be interested to read about it.

Default Re: Question on powders

Bill from what I can remember I don't think H4227 is made anymore because it was so similar to IMR4227. Hogden owns both companies and decided the IMR would be the 4227 flavor they stuck with.
    As far as LP or LPM primers, I've used both and tend to stick with LP even for magnum loads cause I have not noticed much benefit to magnum primers in any of my loads. You may pick up a few FPS but I didn't feel it was necessary to keep 2 types of primers in LP. I would think you are safe to use either of the primers as long as you are working up your loads.
    Good luck my friend.

(Clarion County)

Dusted off an old NRA reloading manual "Handloading" from the 80's. Although the number designation indicate they produce similar ballistics the manufacturing process from each company may be different. They mention granulation of powder and coating differences from various manufactures. Gets over this old boys head but can kinda see why there may be differences.
    This is info printed a couple decades ago. With Hodgon now handling several companies the game may of changed a bit. Seems some of their powders are different lots of the same powder. Win 231 and HP38, Win 296 an H110 come to mind. However never saw the 4227's being touted as the same.

Have used the Win LP primer for quite awhile in both std. and mag loads with good results. Being frugal, my wife would say cheap, only stocking one primer for all my applications is a plus. Past uses have included light loads with fast powders up to mag loads with 296.
    Last edited by cephas; October 19th, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Bill from what I can remember I don't think H4227 is made anymore because it was so similar to IMR4227. Hogden owns both companies and decided the IMR would be the 4227 flavor they stuck with.
    As far as LP or LPM primers, I've used both and tend to stick with LP even for magnum loads cause I have not noticed much benefit to magnum primers in any of my loads. You may pick up a few FPS but I didn't feel it was necessary to keep 2 types of primers in LP. I would think you are safe to use either of the primers as long as you are working up your loads.
    Good luck my friend.
    Thanks Craig. I am more concerned about pressure issues that squeezing out the last few FPS. How are the relocation plans coming?

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Dusted off an old NRA reloading manual "Handloading" from the 80's. Although the number designation indicate they produce similar ballistics the manufacturing process from each company may be different. They mention granulation of powder and coating differences from various manufactures. Gets over this old boys head but can kinda see why there may be differences.
    This is info printed a couple decades ago. With Hodgon now handling several companies the game may of changed a bit. Seems some of their powders are different lots of the same powder. Win 231 and HP38, Win 296 an H110 come to mind. However never saw the 4227's being touted as the same.

Have used the Win LP primer for quite awhile in both std. and mag loads with good results. Being frugal, my wife would say cheap, only stocking one primer for all my applications is a plus. Past uses have included light loads with fast powders up to mag loads with 296.
    It would be nice to have just one primer, but the way things go with trades, seeing stuff on the shelf over the years, etc, I have a mixture - CCI, Winchester, Federal, and of course, all flavors for anything I reload. The same goes for powder, although I am really liking IMR 4227 for cast boolits out of the .357 mag. And for some reason it almost always seems to be on the shelf. I have to wonder if a lot of folks aren't familiar with it. I am not looking to max out my loads, so I suspect I will be fine. My long term goal is to get things standardized, but who knows if that will ever happen?

One of the reasons that I choose to use Red Dot on all my pistol loads, is the pressure vs speed.
    Red Dot seems to create the least amount of pressure, yet gives good speed.
    In my world, I was taught that pressure equals recoil, but speed doesn't mean hitting what you aim at.
    I used to do SAA Cowboy shoots, and shooters would "Download" to escape the recoil (as they would in other forms of competition)
    I've yet to see a target that can outrun excess of 1000 FPS.
    Also, Red Dot generally takes half the amount of powder as do Hodgdon, IMR,
    etc., a bonus in savings.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Thanks Craig. I am more concerned about pressure issues that squeezing out the last few FPS. How are the relocation plans coming?
    GOING WELL. Looks like we should be back around May, but we're still playing it by ear.

also from what I found thumbing through my load books last night most of the loads are the same. I wouldn't know much more as I haven't used the powder
    Last edited by *Klutch*; October 19th, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

(Butler County)

in MY 44mag and 45lc loads I use H110 powder and Winchester lg pistol primers. always have been a great combo for me for ALOT of yrs