Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Concerts at Mellon "Civic" Arena

I will be attending a concert this coming weekend at the Mellon Arena in Pgh and it looks like I will be the designated driver. On that note I figure if I am going to be sober I might as well carry. Does anyone know if they do patdowns or have metal detectors?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Concerts at Mellon "Civic" Arena

No info on how they operate. Doubtful of a patdown, but you never know. I'd say have a provision to deep-conceal, at least until youre inside. Then you can duck into a bathroom, or a secluded corner, and move up to your normal carry.

(Allegheny County)

My experience is it depends on the concert. It's been a while since I've gone to one but I'm sure I've been patted down when I've gone to rock/metal shows, I don't know if they will if it's more of an adult artist.

a patdown is a sure thing crappy but you get one. I have also seen hand held metal detectors there but it's not a consistant thing with them one day you'll get it, one day they won't be anywhere to be seen. I have carried there more than once though just gotta do it smart, lets face it a security guy at the arena isnt gonna be a brain surgeon.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    a patdown is a sure thing crappy but you get one. I have also seen hand held metal detectors there but it's not a consistant thing with them one day you'll get it, one day they won't be anywhere to be seen. I have carried there more than once though just gotta do it smart, lets face it a security guy at the arena isnt gonna be a brain surgeon.

+1 on the crappy patdown.

The patdown I received at mellon arena was not adequate at all. I could have snuck a pretty decent sized arsenal in there. Made me feel real safe about the other patrons at the event. Same went for Heinz field pat down at a steeler game.

It was a concert that was no cameras, and the door people were taking cameras from people. I saw one girl go in, turn around, stick her arm through the door BEHIND the door guard, and take a camera from another girl in line.

(Allegheny County)

I went to a hockey game there and they did patdown. No metal detectors, and they really weren't trying to hard to find anything. If it was on my hip chances are they wouldn't have even found it.

A BUG S.O.B., ankle, or shoulder holster would most likely go completely undetected.

Or maybe 12:30/1:00 inside the waistband for a larger gun. You could always adjust later.

I don't know why but those guys at the door don't really check your crotch too well.

Good luck and carry on.

heinz field patdowns are actually pretty thorough IMO, every time i've gone i've gotten to know the person doing it a bit better. They always check the hotspots, squeeze your coat, and so on. Mellon arena I could have a serbu shorty and an AR on my back and they wouldn't have found it.

Nobody picks up the ole keltec behind the motorola Q in a pouch though, been wanded and all.

(Allegheny County)

I have gone through real metal detectors at mellon when entering from the parking lot side.
    Enter from the city side and they may wans ya alittle or a piss poor pat.
    Usually I get a pass from security guys, I mean I am not exactly in their profile of crazed mad-man. I have beeped (not carrying) with wife and child with me and they just smile, roll thier eyes and wave me on.

Worst that can happen is they find it and you go put it in your car and return.

(Fayette County)

the pat-downs at hockey games have something to be desired. they check the obvious spots on me. exactly where i normally CC about my 3:00, but you could easily get one in wearing an ankle/shoulder holster. females open their purses or bags and they look in with a flashlight, they can't reach in and dig around so you could have a hand grenade under your wifes makeup and they wouldnt know.

and that kind of worries me because they are so lax about it

I will be on the floor watching Hank blow the shit out of the stage. Skynnard will be an added bonus. I will be taking a cab home....
    Jules