Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Got to thinking Taurus Judge re surv

Got to thinking, The Taurus Judge would make a ine All purpose survival Gun Due to its flexibility in ammo and ruggedness, what do you think?

The .45 colt ammo seems like a fine midrange round , not too powerful like a .44 mag etc.

Thanks, michael Richard Nyman

(Washington County)

Default Re: Got to thinking Taurus Judge re surv

Maybe. Jury is still out on the buckshot effectiveness for personal defense.If you were dropped in the woods with every type of ammo used in this gun, you would still have range issues. You aren't taking down a duck with a bird load. Snakes would be in trouble. Two legged critters would best be dealt with using the .45, but all of this is contingent upon short range.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenningBoy View Post
    Maybe. Jury is still out on the buckshot effectiveness for personal defense.If you were dropped in the woods with every type of ammo used in this gun, you would still have range issues. You aren't taking down a duck with a bird load. Snakes would be in trouble. Two legged critters would best be dealt with using the .45, but all of this is contingent upon short range.
    The jury came back, they said it sucks. (to paraphrase; can't say that's a direct quote...)

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

(Chester County)

It's a decent snake gun if ya wanna use the 410 shot, but for self defence... ehh... There are better choices. just my 2 cents.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Monroe County)

Big heavy low capacity ugly thing.

Better firearms for ccw. Better firearms for Home defense, better firearms for killing snakes.

Other than that its just fine.

Its a cute idea, but not much more in my book.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    Big heavy low capacity ugly thing.

Better firearms for ccw. Better firearms for Home defense, better firearms for killing snakes.

Other than that its just fine.

Its a cute idea, but not much more in my book.
    I think you hit that spot on.

What's funny, though...is that this has sold better than really any other gun they've put out.

I don't get it, but people buy them.

(Monroe County)

I dont mean for personal defense around town etc, i have a few sigs, glocks, berretas and a Khar for that purpose, i mean tshtf, the balloon went up , the Zombies are on the loose, your town is occupied by foreign exchange troops, the un and FEMA supplies are running low and the nearby Nuclear power plant just blew it's top and you really need to go into the woods for a few weeks or months to wait untill things subsides , if it ever will.
    Can this gun feed you and protect you with minimal amount of maitenance, care and wear while being effective , worthy for the BOB or no?

Thanks, mrnyman

(Washington County)

Generally, when an object serves many purposes, it does so poorly. The .410 is poorly suited for most survival applications. IMHO, it barely serves in a full size shotgun. The .45 long is ridiculously expensive now, although you can't beef with the power. Long, overall, with a short barrel, this wouldn't be my first choice, but in a zombie holocaust, better than nothing.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    I dont mean for personal defense around town etc, i have a few sigs, glocks, berretas and a Khar for that purpose, i mean tshtf, the balloon went up , the Zombies are on the loose, your town is occupied by foreign exchange troops, the un and FEMA supplies are running low and the nearby Nuclear power plant just blew it's top and you really need to go into the woods for a few weeks or months to wait untill things subsides , if it ever will.
    Can this gun feed you and protect you with minimal amount of maitenance, care and wear while being effective , worthy for the BOB or no?

Thanks, mrnyman
    FWIW I do not think so. I grew up hunting squirrels & rabbits with a Savage .22/.410 over under (I think it was a model 24V).

If you are going for squirrel you are better off using the .22 because squirrels are one tough critter. A .410 is not a very powerful cartridge.

The Judge is a novelty pistol in my humble opinion. I own a Bond Arms derringer with a .45/.410 barrel. I consider it too a novelty piece, although it is small enough to be carried all day every day. They have a wonderful holster available.

If the SHTF I will grab a Glock, probably my G30 because of availability of ammo.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Monroe County)

Thanks for your ideas and opinions guys, i guess that at 29 ounces the Judge would be a big weight saver , but i were never a fan of multi-purpose tools.

I guess if the Balloond does go up , i'll grap my Beretta 92 , my CAR and my Ruger .22.

I'll still get the
    judge but just as a novelty fun gun etc.
    Yes the Judge does seem to be Taurus best selling gun ever, the Gun stores just cant keep up with the demand for them , stores are getting only one or 2 at a time from Taurus.

Nyman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast