Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next gun: an AK

Default Next gun: an AK

Wife and I have been debating our next purchase. Options have ranged from a handgun for me more suitable for IPDA competition than my SP101 (though there is much to be said for shooting what I carry at those matches and I do shoot it well), to a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .357/9mm or .44 Mag, to a rifle of some sort for fun and games. Those conversations have covered everything from .357 single shots to the Marlin 1894c .357 lever action.

Ran across some WASR10s from a link someone posted on another thread, and both Cathy and I perked up. In fact, she immediately said "that looks like a lot of fun!" One thing we don't have is a high powered rifle (unless you count the .50 cal Remington Genesis for deer hunting.) It would be nice to have one just for fun at the range, and it wouldn't hurt just in case the zombies come a-knockin some day. I'm a little worried about the next election, so now seems to be a good time to buy an evil gun while we still can.

I've spent the day reading the various posts on WASR-10s on the site, and they seem like they'd satisfy our wants. We want a gun we can break out, toss in the trunk, bang around at the range, and make lots of noise with. "Pretty" isn't a requirement, and would probably just be a distraction. Most of our shooting would be at 50-100 yards, and a gun that is effective out to 300 yards should do just fine for zombies. Going bang reliably, easy to take care of, and reasonable accuracy for fun and games seems to be what these guns deliver.

I do have a couple questions though. I understand prices have gone up. Is the price in the link below reasonable for a new gun? Seems ok to me, for less than the price of another Springfield XD I could have the gun plus four extra mags. Is there any real difference in accuracy between the 5.56 and 7.62x39? They've got 5.56s for sale also, but I'm kind of leaning toward the 7.62x39 because the Wolf ammo is cheaper, and it does have a little extra oomph. Last, I know some people don't mind, or even enjoy recoil. My wife and I are not those people. I'm guessing recoil should be mild, but would like to confirm. One of the posts I read said less than a .243 bolt. We can surely handle more than that, so if accurate that would be awesome.

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-75...10-762x39.aspx

Edit: I know 7.62x39 isn't really a high powered rifle, but it will do for us.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; May 10th, 2008 at 07:05 PM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Default Re: Next gun: an AK

you can get a wasr double stack plus about 500 rounds of ammo for that price alone, id say shop around a bit more.

Dunhams runs sales on them weekly normally.

And an AK is no where near effective at 300yds, especially a WASR.

(Westmoreland County)

I'm still debating on picking up an AK...I'm sure they are going to be banned soon and I might not have another chance to get one later, but i also really want a M&P .45! I hate decisions! (And no, I can't get 'em both!)

Keep us posted on your decision!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Monroe County)

it is sad i too recently purchased an evil gun for the reason of i might not be able to get one later.

(York County)

I got my SAR2 recently for exactly the same recently. Luckily, I knew someone who has quite a selection of AKs so I got it for $400. I see the same thing on Gunbroker go for over $600. The SARs are worth a bit more than the WASR's though.

I am not an AK expert but here is a good source of information on Romanian AKs like the WASR10. http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/
    Click on AK Models on the left. It's a great source of information.

Sorry but I am HOOKED on Yugos, bought my 2nd one today at the Allentown show (a Century under folder). I just like how solid they are. When I pick up a Bulgarian or a Romanian one they just seem to feel 'cheap' to me.

I will be 'stocking up' on Yugos in the very near future ... I have a sneaking suspicion they have a lot of potential down the road.

(Lebanon County)

i actually find the wasr's 'easy' to look at.
    as long as you can examine teh one you plan on buying, you should make out pretty good.
    the yugo's do tend to be built better. though alot of people complain about the way ''they'' fit to the stock. i'm on of them. teh yugo's with the fixed stock have a rather high comb to them, that makes getting down on them slightly uncomfortable.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Monroe County)

So keep in mind... WASR is basically the bottom of the barrel junk that we are getting in... thats why its so cheap compared to others. An AK clone is a fun gun, no doubt about it but its gonna eat ammo. It really isn't that great unless you go nuts on the trigger. You shouldn't have an issue handling the recoil but you'll know you are shooting it and if you shoot a lot it will make you take notice of your shoulder

I sold mine a while ago (Norinco MAK-90) and miss it a lot, I'm going to look to pick another one up in the future, hopefully before Nov

With that in mind... an AK clone is just that. Its not going to be accurate out past 100 and even that is pushing it, out of my Norinco off a bench I was shooting 3 -4 inch groups at 100 yards, and that was on a good day using WOLF ammo.

Now a days the ammo isn't cheap so it isn't as much fun as it used to be.

Personally I'm planning on getting an AR-15 before I pickup another AK. The .223 ammo is more expensive however it is also much more versatile for target shooting at longer ranges, varmint slaying, and still plinking. You can also get .22 conversion kits for them which makes it even cheaper to shoot.

and 0 recoil

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Wife and I have been debating our next purchase. Options have ranged from a handgun for me more suitable for IPDA competition than my SP101 (though there is much to be said for shooting what I carry at those matches and I do shoot it well), to a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .357/9mm or .44 Mag, to a rifle of some sort for fun and games. Those conversations have covered everything from .357 single shots to the Marlin 1894c .357 lever action.

Ran across some WASR10s from a link someone posted on another thread, and both Cathy and I perked up. In fact, she immediately said "that looks like a lot of fun!" One thing we don't have is a high powered rifle (unless you count the .50 cal Remington Genesis for deer hunting.) It would be nice to have one just for fun at the range, and it wouldn't hurt just in case the zombies come a-knockin some day. I'm a little worried about the next election, so now seems to be a good time to buy an evil gun while we still can.

I've spent the day reading the various posts on WASR-10s on the site, and they seem like they'd satisfy our wants. We want a gun we can break out, toss in the trunk, bang around at the range, and make lots of noise with. "Pretty" isn't a requirement, and would probably just be a distraction. Most of our shooting would be at 50-100 yards, and a gun that is effective out to 300 yards should do just fine for zombies. Going bang reliably, easy to take care of, and reasonable accuracy for fun and games seems to be what these guns deliver.

I do have a couple questions though. I understand prices have gone up. Is the price in the link below reasonable for a new gun? Seems ok to me, for less than the price of another Springfield XD I could have the gun plus four extra mags. Is there any real difference in accuracy between the 5.56 and 7.62x39? They've got 5.56s for sale also, but I'm kind of leaning toward the 7.62x39 because the Wolf ammo is cheaper, and it does have a little extra oomph. Last, I know some people don't mind, or even enjoy recoil. My wife and I are not those people. I'm guessing recoil should be mild, but would like to confirm. One of the posts I read said less than a .243 bolt. We can surely handle more than that, so if accurate that would be awesome.

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-75...10-762x39.aspx

Edit: I know 7.62x39 isn't really a high powered rifle, but it will do for us.
    You guys wanna come visit...could probably help you out. (actually, just looking for reason to meet Cathy) Seriously...Rich might have something you want.

Judy

PROUD WIFE OF PA. PATRIOT
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. "-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Pa Patriot View Post
    You guys wanna come visit...could probably help you out. (actually, just looking for reason to meet Cathy) Seriously...Rich might have something you want.

Judy
    We could do that in a week or two, soon as she feels up to the trip. Cathy would love to meet more women into guns! What do ya'll have?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast