Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Confused about interstate transport

So, I've searched the forum, and I've read FOPA, but I'm still confused. I'm a pretty new firearm owner, and next June I'm planning a trip to CT.

EDIT: I re-read FOPA, and got a better explanation, and it seems that, as long as I don't stop for an extended period in any of the intermediate states and have the firearm and ammo secured properly, I'm fine. Never mind (I can't seem to delete the thread).
    Last edited by mcl; October 13th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Confused about interstate transport

Do you plan on carrying in Connecticut, or just using your gun while your there?
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by rady8um View Post
    Do you plan on carrying in Connecticut, or just using your gun while your there?
    I was planning on carrying. My original question had mentioned I'm planning to apply in advance for a NR CT permit to cover that. I was just concerned that I was going to have to pass through NJ and NY on my way there, and they seem to have some rather ...strict laws regarding transport.

My current understanding of the FOPA Safe Passage provision is this: If I have the handgun unloaded and secured in a locking hard case somewhere other than the passenger compartment, and I have the ammo in a separate locking hard case somewhere other than the passenger compartment, I should be good (which is a minor annoyance since I prefer to have loaded magazines). I get the extra fun of going there in a hatchback, but from what I've read, having it in the rear storage area in that disposition should be okay.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Connecticut is a "may issue" state, which may make it a difficullt to get a carry permit.

Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.usacarry.com/connecticut_...formation.html
    ...and they have a plan...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mcl View Post

My current understanding of the FOPA Safe Passage provision is this: If I have the handgun unloaded and secured in a locking hard case somewhere other than the passenger compartment, and I have the ammo in a separate locking hard case somewhere other than the passenger compartment, I should be good (which is a minor annoyance since I prefer to have loaded magazines). I get the extra fun of going there in a hatchback, but from what I've read, having it in the rear storage area in that disposition should be okay.

Technically, FOPA doesn't require separation of firearm and ammo.

"...during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    Connecticut is a "may issue" state, which may make it a difficullt to get a carry permit.
    For a NR CT is actually easier than for a resident. It is "May Issue" by statute but they run closer to "Shall Issue" as long as you qualify.