Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Hello from Houston

Hello new member here. I've been trolling this forum for a little while I now decided to join. I do wish it was more active but this forum sure seems about all things that are very local to me. Let me just ask a few questions if I may.

As far a places to go shooting besides joining a gun club, where do you guys go around here? I go to the Claysvile range from time to time but I'm looking for some place close. I live near the old Washington Steel on 519 if any of you are familiar with that. I have heard of a place to go shoot up by Foxpointe on Johnson road. There is supposed to be a sort of make shift range somewhere there that people use. Someone told me that with a 4x4 can can actually drive right up to it. I've done some checking on google maps but can't really find anything and don't feel like just walking around the woods. So does anyone here know anything about this?

Also does anybody open carry anywhere around here? And if so where? Does anyone organize any open carry walks?

Thanks,
    Jimmy

(Washington County)

Default Re: Hello from Houston

Welcome to the board and to Washington County. I used to work at the old Washington Steel - shame it's (and all it's good jobs) gone.

Not an open carrier, no reason other than just not. I've heard good things about the one on Johnson Rd (the one in Arden) but have not shot there personally. I have at the public range in Claysville w/my son.

Sorry if that's not much help but I at least wanted to respond and say , "Hi."

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Hello new member here. I've been trolling this forum for a little while I now decided to join. I do wish it was more active but this forum sure seems about all things that are very local to me. Let me just ask a few questions if I may.

As far a places to go shooting besides joining a gun club, where do you guys go around here? I go to the Claysvile range from time to time but I'm looking for some place close. I live near the old Washington Steel on 519 if any of you are familiar with that. I have heard of a place to go shoot up by Foxpointe on Johnson road. There is supposed to be a sort of make shift range somewhere there that people use. Someone told me that with a 4x4 can can actually drive right up to it. I've done some checking on google maps but can't really find anything and don't feel like just walking around the woods. So does anyone here know anything about this?

Also does anybody open carry anywhere around here? And if so where? Does anyone organize any open carry walks?

Thanks,
    Jimmy
    Welcome to the forums! I do most of my shooting at Canonsburg Sportsman's Club, and once in a while at my GF's or friends houses. The range you're referring to that's on or near Johnson Rd. is a South Strabane Police shooting range (I could be wrong). I'm also pretty sure you can drive to it with a good 4x4. But it may not be a good idea if someone shows up and wonders how you got past the locked gate. It may be not a good trip if that happens.

I also OC sometimes, it just depends on what I'm doing. Other times I just throw my LCP .380 in my pocket with an extra mag or two(usually if I'm just running somewhere quick). I haven't had any negative experiences yet OC'n other than a few looks of pure horror on people's faces'. You know, like I'm one of those well-dressed gentlemen that walk around with their pants hanging around their knees and hat sideways.

Anyways, I'm from the Houston area as well.
    Last edited by TheGhost27; October 13th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Washington County)

OK it appears that the area is actually North Strabane police shooting range. I wonder if this is no longer used by them? maybe the person who posted about shooting on their own property and having problems with North Stabane police will know something about this. I read that the many residents can here gunshots from their range. Would love to know exactly where he is talking about. I also would like to know more about the no discharge ordanance that North Strabane does not have. I talked to a Chartiers detective (used to be my neighbor) and he said that really there is no where you can legally shoot your gun besides a gun club. Even if you are sufficient distance from a residence and a road like the laws read you are still on the wrong. He said if ANY one can hear the shots they will call the police and you can be citied for discharge of a weapon and maybe other things as well. This brings me back to the North Strabane ordanance or lack there of. Anyone else have any info to add?

Thanks,
    Jimmy

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhost27 View Post
    Welcome to the forums! I do most of my shooting at Canonsburg Sportsman's Club, and once in a while at my GF's or friends houses. The range you're referring to that's on or near Johnson Rd. is a South Strabane Police shooting range (I could be wrong). I'm also pretty sure you can drive to it with a good 4x4. But it may not be a good idea if someone shows up and wonders how you got past the locked gate. It may be not a good trip if that happens.

I also OC sometimes, it just depends on what I'm doing. Other times I just throw my LCP .380 in my pocket with an extra mag or two(usually if I'm just running somewhere quick). I haven't had any negative experiences yet OC'n other than a few looks of pure horror on people's faces'. You know, like I'm one of those well-dressed gentlemen that walk around with their pants hanging around their knees and hat sideways.

Anyways, I'm from the Houston area as well.
    Where have you open carried around here? The only person I ever saw open carrying was at Petsmart in Washington. Young kid with a 1911 on his hip.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Where have you open carried around here? The only person I ever saw open carrying was at Petsmart in Washington. Young kid with a 1911 on his hip.

I've OC'd in Wendy's, McDonald's, Walmart, LGS-Ace(doesn't really count), that store in meadowlands next to Black n Gold and some other places. I've also OC on my motorcycle around Canonsburg, Houston, Washington and Mt. Washington and Southside, with no problems other than shocking looks from some people. However this is technically considered "carrying in/on a vehicle"; and one would need a LTCF to do his, which I do have BTW.

I do know Home Depot is OC friendly and I believe Lowes may be as well. Check out the OC section and read the threads there. You will get to see other peoples experiences with OC, and places they have been while OC. It is perfectly legal to do so in Pa (except in Philly) where you would need a LTCF for OC. Basically if there are no signs prohibiting weapons your ok, unless they have a policy against it. Then they will ask you to leave or place the weapon in your car. Again, I strongly suggest reading the threads in the OC section for the best information here.
    Last edited by TheGhost27; October 14th, 2013 at 10:56 AM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by LV426
    OK it appears that the area is actually North Strabane police shooting range. I wonder if this is no longer used by them? maybe the person who posted about shooting on their own property and having problems with North Stabane police will know something about this. I read that the many residents can here gunshots from their range. Would love to know exactly where he is talking about. I also would like to know more about the no discharge ordanance that North Strabane does not have. I talked to a Chartiers detective (used to be my neighbor) and he said that really there is no where you can legally shoot your gun besides a gun club. Even if you are sufficient distance from a residence and a road like the laws read you are still on the wrong. He said if ANY one can hear the shots they will call the police and you can be citied for discharge of a weapon and maybe other things as well. This brings me back to the North Strabane ordanance or lack there of. Anyone else have any info to add?

Thanks,
    Jimmy
    The entrance to the North Strabane police range is not actually from Johnson rd. It is from Lindley rd. It is the first left after turning onto Lindley from Johnson. It can be seen with google maps satelite view. There is a gate that is usually closed and there are "no trespassing" signs posted in the wooded area.

I believe it is still operated by the police dept. I have recently heard shooting from the range and the amount of ammo being expended could only have been taxpayer provided. No one would piss away that much .223 if they had to pay for it.

Your best bet is to look into joining Canonsburg Sportsmans. This is what I intend to do, albeit begrudgingly.

The thing that agitates me is they absolutely do not take care of the backstops at all. Most days they are a sad sight.

They also do not have backstops setup for shooting pistol shorter than 25yards, which I personally think is too far.

Also the road to the rifle range is currently washed out pretty badly.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Washington County)

If either of you guys are seriously interested in joing Canonsburg Sportsmans Club, they will probably be accepting applications for new members in Feb. Current members have until Jan. 31 to renew their membership or they are booted out after that. Keep an eye on their website for information regarding this. I will also post when they are accepting new members.
    Last edited by TheGhost27; October 17th, 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo

(Washington County)

Canonsburg Sportmans clubs does not allow larger that 9mm for pistol, or at least that's what their website reads. No larger caliber are allow there. What's the point of that? I have a .38 and a .45 I really need to practice with. I'm not joining a club where I can ONLY shot my little .380.

(Lancaster County)

I'll just leave this here...

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast