Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default I need to strip paint off (Lehigh Valley related)...........

......an SKS. Kinda hoping that someone in the Lehigh Valley can direct me to a place that can "dip-an-strip".
    Here's the story. Years ago my stepson gave me a Maverick 88 shotgun with a vented rib barrel sawn off at 24 inches (24?), a SpeedFeed Pistol grip and a badly cracked wooden forearm. It also didn't feed shells consistently. Fixed the feeding with tightening and Locktiting a screw. Havlins had a matched set of furniture and GunBroker had a new riot barrel. So I was out a whopping $115 for a serviceable HD shotgun.
    So anyways, a couple years later, the kid needed a shotgun. Ended up trading for a SKS. It came in a plastic stock and was painted in Rustoleum grill paint. Now I need to get that paint off. I know about the paint stripper route. Just wondering if there was some outfit in the Valley that could do the "dip-an-strip" thing. Kinda hoping to go this route so I know that ALL the paint is off and out of the working parts. Don't want anything gumming up the works and causing problems later. EVERYTHING was painted. Bolt, trigger works and even inside the receiver. I would like to make sure that all the paint is gone. I can do the paint stripper thing and will if I have to, just don't know if I'll get it all out of the working parts.
    Since I essentially got this for $115, I can put a little money into it. I'm planning on a Bullpup build for it. So hopefully I can bring this project in within my allotted budget.
    Any businesses in the Valley do this that are firearm friendly? Thanks for any responses.
    I just like to pop in every now and then to see what nancyinpa has for sale.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: I need to strip paint off (Lehigh Valley related)...........

I would not let a furniture paint stripper dip a firearm, unless he routinely does firearms.

The barrel would have to be plugged at both ends, and that still leaves the gas port to block off...just so nothing winds up in there.

I would remove everything I can and block everything I can and I think you'd be good to go yourself. Plus you get to really know the gun.

Are you able to disassemble the rifle? A little beyond "field strip"? Removing paint is simple....oven cleaner if you don't like Aircraft Paint Remover (Walmart). Buy a couple of cans of (spray) carb cleaner and cans of Brake Kleen. Do you have compressed air (home air compressor)? Great for cleaning out every nook and cranny and drying the gun.

I used carb clean and BrakeKleen to remove that whacky stuff Century Arms sprays their guns with on my AK. It is down to original battle-worn bluing, and I like it like that.

As a final cleaning, remember the good old US Army latrine method....hottest water you can get on it, everywhere. It rolls out everything, and since it is hot as hell, it evaporates/dries quickly.

Good luck

(Northampton County)

Default Thanks Bang

Yeah, I'll probably end up going the DIY route. My brother-in-law was almost set to do it at work. Security had no problems with it since it was coming in broken down and with no stock or magazine. Unfortunately, human resources thought differently. Oh well, I'll just have to take my time and pay attention to detail. Thanks for sharing your paint stripping experiences.
    I just like to pop in every now and then to see what nancyinpa has for sale.

(Northampton County)

Easton Firearm Refinishing. Google. Good dudes.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    Popichak is probably trolling this for his next story...