Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Legal to hunt with Night Vision?

I searched the forum and didn't find any information on this subject.

I just moved here in Dec 2012 from Oklahoma. Ran into a farmer that needs
    the ground hogs and foxes terminated. Can you hunt with Night Vision here in
    Collegeville PA on private farm property?

I looked on the Game& Wildlife website I didn't find anything there.
    If not can use you helmet NV to walk in on the property as long as it is not
    weapon mounted?

If not what kind of equipment are you aloud to use?

Thank you for any information or website pertaining to rules & regs

(York County)

Default Re: Legal to hunt with Night Vision?

It is illegal to hunt groundhogs at night, they would be in their burrow anyway. You will need a hunting license and furtaker license to hunt fox and must obey the season, I do not know about night vision

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
    It is illegal to hunt groundhogs at night, they would be in their burrow anyway. You will need a hunting license and furtaker license to hunt fox and must obey the season, I do not know about night vision
    Welcome to Pennsylvania, Understanding PA hunting law is pretty simple, if you go back... say... 80 years... and think of the technology that was available then, that is what we still hunt with when it comes to rifles and shotguns. If you keep it within this perspective, you will always be a legal hunter in Penns woods. Pretty simple. Every now and then there may be a change, but it still takes 10 or more years to undertake, due to studies, meetings, budgets, public input and so on.
    I realize it may sound derogatory, but if you look at the technical advances in firearms, optics, and electronic calls, the powder and lead hunters in PA are always the last to see any changes in regulations. (Last big one (if you can call it big) I recall was flintlock hunters being able to use something other than roundballs)

Therefore, I seriously doubt night vision optics where available then, making them illegal to use in the 21st century.

Seriously, I have not checked though, but feel 99% correct though.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Westmoreland County)

I believe, even if you had some type of hunters safety course in another State, that you will have to take the Pa. hunters safety course before you can buy a Pa. hunters license. And yes, a furtakers license is separate from the hunting license. The furtakers license is I believe an additional $20 per year.

You cannot use any type of night vision or laser equipped attachments on your hunting firearms. You are permitted to use a white, red, or green hand held light for spotting, and a rifle mounted light for shooting fox, raccoon, or coyotes while hunting at night.

Be aware of where you are hunting. Some areas around Pittsburgh and Philly are what are known as "Special Regulation Area's" and only shotguns are permitted to hunt with or 22-LR or 22 mag's. (For deer shotguns or 50 caliber or larger muzzle loaders).

Lightforce make a nice fox light and you can find those at http://www.allpredatorcalls.com You can also use electronic callers and hand callers for fox. Check out those at the same place.

I hope this helps.

Dave

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    (Last big one (if you can call it big) I recall was flintlock hunters being able to use something other than roundballs)

Therefore, I seriously doubt night vision optics where available then, making them illegal to use in the 21st century..

I agree with most of that. I think the most recent big change is allowing anyone to use a crossbow, that change came much sooner than I expected

I also wanted to ad for the OP that private land really does not give you any more rights than hunting public land when it comes to seasons, license, firearm/used

Thank you guys for the great information. Since moving here, Rules for
    hunting are a lot different than Oklahoma and Texas. My equipment
    is useless as well as my weapons. I need to change up.
    Back in Oklahoma. Hunting reg's, If you want to hunt with semi automatic weapons your limited to a 5 round magazine.

Hopefully in my life time if I stay here, Maybe they might make a change to use NV's. lol.... Crossbow was a nice change though. Since I have a handicap. Oklahoma did change where you don't have to hold a license for that.

Far as 22's go, does it have to be a bolt gun? or can you use any 22lr? magazine fed?

(Westmoreland County)

No semi-auto rifles can be used. The only time a semi-auto can be used is when your hunting small game with a semi-auto shotgun and the magazine must be plugged to a 3 shell limit.

Or you can use a semi-auto shotgun with a slug for deer, 5 round magazine limit.

For the 22's you can use a bolt, single shot, or lever action, but no semi-auto's are permitted.

If you are disabled you may (and that's a "may") fall under the Pa. rules to obtain a shoot from the vehicle permit. Look at those rules to see if you qualify to obtain that permit.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    No semi-auto rifles can be used. The only time a semi-auto can be used is when your hunting small game with a semi-auto shotgun and the magazine must be plugged to a 3 shell limit.

Or you can use a semi-auto shotgun with a slug for deer, 5 round magazine limit.

For the 22's you can use a bolt, single shot, or lever action, but no semi-auto's are permitted.

If you are disabled you may (and that's a "may") fall under the Pa. rules to obtain a shoot from the vehicle permit. Look at those rules to see if you qualify to obtain that permit.

Dave
    Thank you For the information Dave.
    Last edited by Ducme; October 13th, 2013 at 07:23 AM.

(Monroe County)

I provided your using NVG to find your spot and not to hunt out of season, (check the game guide for legal hrs) the only rules I think would come to play are the spotting rules. That being said provided you are not using an IR flashlight to cast "artificial" light NVG's would be ok. I use mine like I said to spot other hunters so I don't post near someone else when it's still dark out.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

The problem I see is that this is not a hunting problem. It is dealing with Nuisance Wildlife. What would be needed would be a Nuisance Wildlife License. The following links should help explain the rules.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=622266&mode=2

http://www.ehow.com/how_6854204_beco...nsylvania.html

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast