Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is scary

Default Re: THIS IS SCARY

It's simple, here. The original gun owner takes the money back to the person who bought it, gives it to them, and gets their gun back. Then, on the way home, they (original owner/seller) stop somewhere private for a lesson on not selling stuff that doesn't belong to them. It really doesn't seem like a big deal to me, other than the kid sold something that didn't belong to him. Just do the exchange with the grandfather and call it a day (and be more careful in the future).
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

This is actually an interesting topic that could be of benefit to people down the road.

Too bad the title is so vague.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: This is scary

Something occurred to me last night on this thing. Be careful it isn't a scam...grandfather and grandson in cahoots. That shotgun (or anything of Grandpop's) could have been "stolen" and returned more than once. Grandpop gets it back, and Grandson "owes" the money that he has already spent et cetera.

(Bucks County)

Personally I would give the kid a chance to rectify the situation before involving the police. Last thing I would want is to call the cops, explain the situation and end up getting locked up for being in possession of stolen property. Surrendering the gun to the police also means that it will be that much more difficult for the rightful owner to get it back- police tend to be very hesitant to EVER return property, especially guns.

Call the kid, tell him in order to rectify the situation the three of you must meet and explain the situation. Pops gets his gun back, kid gives you the money back, and every parts ways. If he refuses, then I would explain that your only other option is to hand it over to the police and let them sort it out, which could take months and $$$. Hopefully that will twist his arm enough to come clean to his grandfather and straighten everything out.

IANAL and this is not legal advice, just what I might do in a similar situation.

(Beaver County)

Please Note: The poster was issued a warning for this post.

I went shooting with a group of people once and long story short, found out after the fact that one of the guys was on probation. I don't speak to the person who put me in that situation anymore because he could have got me arrested. It seems to me that the obvious thing to do is cut that person who sold it to you out of your life. He could have caused you to be arrested for a couple of different reasons. My X had a brother that was on drugs and stole a bunch of her jewelry to pay for whatever shit he was on. She was stupid enough to forgive him and I haven't spoken to her for quite a while but I hope that piece of shit is dead. Next time this asshole friend of yours could steal some of your shit to pay for whatever it was he's trying to get a hold of. It's not as simple as meeting with the grandfather and giving it back when the drug addict lowlife sells it to a pawnshop for a tenth of what it was worth. I hope you can fix it without getting into any trouble with the law but you're seriously a stupid **** and you're asking for serious trouble if you continue to involve this person in your life.

(Chester County)

What's scary is how this thread was duplicated.

http://forum.pafoa.org/shotguns-43/2...ry-page-2.html

Give him two choices. One, he meets with you and the grandfather, at which point he will refund your money and you give the gun back to grandpa. Two, if that is not acceptable to him, you hand the gun over to the cops with the complete story. Do not negotiate off from either of these points. Lay it out clearly and demand an immediate response.
    Last edited by PennsyPlinker; October 12th, 2013 at 07:22 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Threads merged.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

You need to be in communication with the grandfather to make sure he isn't going to turn you in for having the gun. Tell him you're on his side and would like him to have the gun back but you want your money back. I don't think I would go to the police with this because technically you are knowingly in possession of stolen property right now and are commiting a crime, going to the police with your story isn't going to change that fact and the police couldn't give a shit if you get your money back. All it would take is talking to the wrong officer, the one who's going to clean up the streets and get all guns away from "civilians" and he'll confiscate the gun and need to back up his confiscation with a charge.
    Talk to the grandfather, even if you don't get your money back at that time you can still go through small claims later if need be, which is what you would have to do if you turned the gun into the police.

(Monroe County)

Here is another scenario that I have seen in the past.

He found someone else that will give him more money for the shotgun and the story about the grandfather being mad was made up. Also, you wanting to return it to the grandfather would throw a wrench into the works and that's why he got mad at that idea.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast