Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default SGL 183 construction

I went to SGL183 last Sunday for a little scouting. Since I don't live in Pike anymore, this is the 1st time I have been back since last deer season. What is up with the new road on the power line right of way? On the back side of the mountain, it appears they have built a parking area........but that road is way too steep for a normal passenger vehicle to navigate easily. Can anyone give me the scoop on what is going on?

(Wayne County)

Default Re: SGL 183 construction

Might be the new power line going in.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    I went to SGL183 last Sunday for a little scouting. Since I don't live in Pike anymore, this is the 1st time I have been back since last deer season. What is up with the new road on the power line right of way? On the back side of the mountain, it appears they have built a parking area........but that road is way too steep for a normal passenger vehicle to navigate easily. Can anyone give me the scoop on what is going on?
    If you mean the line that crosses Rt 6 near Rt 402, that is the location of the new 500 Kv Roseland line that runs from the nuke plant in Berwick to the Republic of New Jersey. The existing 230 kV line's towers are pushing 80 years old.

There's also an upgrade going on the line that crosses Rt 402 a few miles south of I-84. Going to a higher-voltage, double circuit configuration.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks. I knew a new power line was planned but never took the time to find out exactly where it was going in. I suppose what appears to be a parking area is either the pad for a new tower or a staging area for heavy equipment. I sure hope the are not clanking around with graders and whatnot this Saturday for the muzzleloader open.

(Lehigh County)

In that area, the new line runs parallel with the old tower line. The new towers are "monopole" construction, so the holes/pads won't be terribly big. They constructed a lot of access roads to get into the right of ways, with some large areas for turning the equipment, etc.

I don't know what their work schedule is like, but there aren't crews working the entire line at all times.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe!

(Lackawanna County)

New power line sounds like an extended range place to shoot

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    New power line sounds like an extended range place to shoot
    as I recall, you are the one who likes to plink in random areas of the Del. SF. Be advised, there are folks hunting that power line and they probably won't appreciate your activities. Coyote hunting season is year round and that power line right of way is prime 'yote territory. I know there is also at least one trap line in there during trapping season.