Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default What do we need to do to get our message heard as citizens?

It boggles my mind that media is so one sided. What do we need to do to get our message as law abiding citizens out there for people to hear?

Should we organize a letter campaign to local media outlets demanding coverage from another side of the coin? Do we send letters to the editor of every local rag we can find?

The NRA is at work on a much larger scale, but just like any person who knows their strategery knows sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.

I think the time to stand and preach may be coming, just like upcoming legislation.

We need to write our representatives with some very well thought out letters here, and we need to do the same to local media outlets.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: What do we need to do to get our message heard as citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    It boggles my mind that media is so one sided. What do we need to do to get our message as law abiding citizens out there for people to hear?

Should we organize a letter campaign to local media outlets demanding coverage from another side of the coin? Do we send letters to the editor of every local rag we can find?

The NRA is at work on a much larger scale, but just like any person who knows their strategery knows sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.

I think the time to stand and preach may be coming, just like upcoming legislation.

We need to write our representatives with some very well thought out letters here, and we need to do the same to local media outlets.

Devil's advocate here.. What exactly would you like them to be covering. They cover protests, they cover press conferences, they report on crimes..

I do recall that there was coverage for the folks who traveled to Harrisburg on the gun rights issues. If there is no rally, event or get together for them to cover, what should they do? It isn't as if they get on and just talk about their opinion or issues for the most part. You have these talk shows, Larry King, etc., or 60 minutes and other investigative deals, and I guess that might be to what you are referring..

Please clarify exactly what you would like to be seeing?

(Allegheny County)

IF you’re serious, you live within driving range to answers and real solutions to your question. Come to one of these OPEN meeting at either Firearm Owners Against Crime (FOAC) or Allegheny County Sportsmen League (ACSL) and go introduce yourself to Kim Stolfer. We got a plan and its working, all we lack is help, come, listen, learn get an education and ask questions on how you can personally make a difference. Your help would be welcomed if you decide to join in and work with us.

http://www.foac-pac.org/

FOAC - 2008 Meeting Schedule

upcoming meeting 1st Sunday,Jun 8, 2nd Sunday, Jul 13, 2nd Sunday, Aug 10, 2nd Sunday, Sep 14, 2nd Sunday, Oct 12, 2nd Sunday, Nov 2, 1st Sunday, Dec 14, 2nd Sunday

**Time of Meeting: 10:00 AM

**Location: Whitehall Borough Bldg (off Rt.51 – ask for directions)

****Coffee and Donuts will be provided

http://acslpa.org/
    Meetings are second thursday of the month 7:30 pm, 4th floor, gold room in court house in downtown Pittsburgh.

When you go to ACSL web site make sure you check out some of these links on this page.
    http://acslpa.org/n-legislative/pa_p...egislation.htm

(York County)

Agreeing with Wits, to a point.

I think our message is heard on some level but, I think it is presentned in the wrong manner. At these rallies and court cases for LTCF revocations we constantly here about people who are pro 2a wearing empty holsters and carrying signs with a bloody tree of liberty and so forth. While I agree with the stance these people are taking it makes me sad to see the way are putting it out there. The message being heard is one that says " I'm hear and I dare you to ask me to......". We need to remain calm and speak as professionals, and like gentelmen, not just scream and holler and like an angry roman mob.

I've seen many letters posted here that begin with " I don't want to sound rude or cambative........" but then the rest of the letter basically says " fuck off man, leave my guns alone". So no one listens. The guys on this site Lycan, Rotz, paPatriot, seem to have the right idea. Maybe they can help here.

Dave
    3%

(Bedford County)

It's called not continuing to spew the liberal spew! They want to get their ratings up, go against the grain and call it what it is, instead of re-spewing. The anti's lack of logic needs revealed, use it against them. It's not the gun its the criminals with guns. Have them point out the true failure, why this one or that one got shot or killed. Start pointing the finger at the real problem. It's not a matter of coverage, its a matter of TRUTH! But, instead it's all spin and spew!

It's misleading, it's morally wrong!!!! And it's all to save their own A$$! Because if the TRUTH be told where the politico's have failed it would mean their A$$, and it's ruining the country!

You know, when it all falls apart, they'll all look at each other and say, what happend. ( WOW I could have had a V8) Idiots!!!

The Media is supposed the be the watchdog, unbiased ( yea right )...Media political affiliation needs to go!!!!! Just tell it like it is....Is that too much to expect........apparently!!!!!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Step 1:

Join
    The
    NRA.

Step 2: if you believe it will make a difference, write letters to the editor discussing why you believe their coverage is biased or whatever it is you believe will make a difference. Whenever legislation is proposed that infringes your rights, make sure your representatives know what you think about that.

If we all did that, it might make a big difference.
    Last edited by Philadelphia; May 9th, 2008 at 01:33 PM.

Don't watch/use any media of an organization that cannot separate its editorial statements from its news releases. Tell the providers and the ratings systems that you're not using any of this product for specifically this reason.

It is also important to provide the news less negatively reportable occasions, so influencing the law will bring this duly.

Stop compromising. The NRA compromises; you shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by WitsBusa View Post
    Devil's advocate here.. What exactly would you like them to be covering. They cover protests, they cover press conferences, they report on crimes..

I do recall that there was coverage for the folks who traveled to Harrisburg on the gun rights issues. If there is no rally, event or get together for them to cover, what should they do? It isn't as if they get on and just talk about their opinion or issues for the most part. You have these talk shows, Larry King, etc., or 60 minutes and other investigative deals, and I guess that might be to what you are referring..

Please clarify exactly what you would like to be seeing?
    They don't give their opinions directly, they do however focus on coverage of people's opinions against our second amendment rights, maybe it's because they've got more to say than we do?

As far as joining the NRA, it's in the works. Just have to swing by my club for the app, they sent me a survey the other day which I responded to and it sparked my interest. Thinking of doing the payments towards the life time membership.

Thanks for the info about the meetings. I hope to attend one soon.
    Last edited by Kaos; May 9th, 2008 at 03:12 PM.