Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Peep sights on a lever gun

So I removed the 2x7 Redfield from my 1980 Marlin 336 no safety. I have the original buckhorns on there but the rear is slightly bent so I would like to replace them.
    I've been looking at peep sights from Williams with fiber optic front and truglo buckhorn fiber optics front and rear. I have a front ramp sight with 2 screws to hold it on, there are some reviews of these sights that say they can't get it to shoot low enough and the adjustment is all the way up in the rear. My front sight is 3/8" wide and .500 from the top of the barrel.
    Anyone have any knowledge of these sights on these guns before I call Marlin as to what is the correct sight it buy.
    Also I'm a little skeptical on the truglo sights as I believe they are plastic...
    I would like to keep the cost under $70 so some of those wrist mount peeps are out of the question as they are $130, I also would like to use the stock front sight if I can but am not opposed to a front fiber optic so I am eliminating the XS as they have a blade.

(York County)

Default Re: Peep sights on a lever gun

the williams is cheap aluminum crap. you want a lyman # 57, IIRC. and god no, never put some trendy crap glow in the dark sight on a decent rifle. the gun is factory D&T for the lyman, which is all steel and scads better than the williams. a lyman will add value to the gun. a williams will drive people away.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Skinner Sights are outstanding and machined from sturdy stock. I had a set on a Marlin that i sold and will put them on my next Marlin.

(Clearfield County)

I have Williams, Lyman, Mossberg, Anschutz, and Redfield sights. I have not had any problems with any of them. Here is my 39 with a Williams. I put the Williams on it to shoot in some lever gun matches where scopes were not permitted. I have probably bought 15+ various Williams sights and no bad experiences to date.

I assume it's working well with the front sight. I may want a fiber optic front and Williams comes with one but they also said the FP stres will work with the factory bead

(Westmoreland County)

IMHO, I don't care for the peep sights that are mounted on the wrist of the stock. Too easy to bump off of vertical in a hunting situation when excitement overcomes all else.

As for the poster who stated that Williams peep sights were "Aluminum junk", he obviously has no experience with the quality of a Williams Peep sight. I have had a Williams peep with target adjust knobs mounted to my Marlin 1895XLR since the day I purchased the rifle. The target knobs (like adjustable turrets on a quality scope) make it easy to adjust the range for shooting a 405gr. 45-70 bullet at 100, 200, & 300 yards and be spot on. (I also have Williams target peep sights for my two Winchester 94-22's. One in 22-LR and the other 22-Mag. In addition I have a Lyman 57 for my 50-Cal Flintlock rifle and it's a great peep sight. Tang mounted, yet up on the barrel tang....not on the wood wrist.)

Skinner ghost ring brass sights are another quality sight to consider. Just remember that (I believe, as I don't own a skinner, but I have a friend who does) I don't think the Skinner has a quick vertical adjustment like the Williams target. So, you need to shoot it and get good at the hold over\under option. But, a quality choice none the less.

Dave
    Last edited by DavidTM; October 9th, 2013 at 08:38 AM.

Yea I'm not too concerned with the post everyone has their opinions, and the Lyman 66 for the Marlin336 is aluminum anyway. I like the Williams sight and looked at the Skinner also but just need to make the decision. I like the Skinner style only for the compact design of it where the Williams "hangs off the rifle".

would still like to hear more opinions from those who have used them.

(Tioga County)

I have a William's WGRS peep on both my 336 and 1895. Also with both I replaced the front sight with a William's firesight. I called Brownell's for the correct height of front sight. IIRC with the 1895 I stayed with the one closes to the factory an 336 I had to go with a taller one to get my rifles sighted in. The reason I went with a fiber optic sight is 1) older eyesight 2) so I could see them better in the deeper shadows of where I hunt.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Just remember that (I believe, as I don't own a skinner, but I have a friend who does) I don't think the Skinner has a quick vertical adjustment like the Williams target. So, you need to shoot it and get good at the hold over\under option. But, a quality choice none the less.

Dave
    You are correct. Elevation is adjusted by turning the entire rear aperture to the desired elevation, then locking it in position with a set screw. I believe that they are intended to be set for MPBR (maximum point blank range) for hunting purposes, rather than for use as a bullseye/target sight.

(York County)

Please Note: The poster was issued a warning for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    I have had a Williams peep with target adjust knobs mounted to my Marlin 1895XLR since the day I purchased the rifle.

Dave

this just shows how long you have been in the game, newby. not long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast