Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Do I need a Hunting License to shoot on private property?? ?

Last edited by superfly2008; May 24th, 2018 at 02:56 AM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Do I need a Hunting License to shoot on private property?? ?

Yes, you need to pass the hunters safety course and get a license to hunt whether on private or public lands.

WILD TURKEY (Male or Female): WMU 1B – Nov. 2 –9 and Nov. 28 –30; WMU 2B (Shotgun and bow and arrow) – Nov. 2 –22 and Nov. 28 –30; WMUs 1A, 2A and 2D – Nov. 2 –16 and Nov. 28 –30; WMUs 2C, 2E, 4A, 4B and 4D – Nov. 2 –22 and Nov. 28 –30; WMUs 2F, 2G and 2H – Nov. 2 –16 and Nov. 28 –30; WMUs 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4C and 4E – Nov. 2 –22 and Nov. 28 –30; WMU 5A – Nov. 5 –7; WMUs 5B, 5C and 5D – CLOSED TO FALL TURKEY HUNTING.

SPRING GOBBLER (Bearded bird only): Special season for eligible junior hunters, with required license, and mentored youth – April 26, 2014. Only 1 spring gobbler may be taken during this hunt.

SPRING GOBBLER (Bearded bird only): May 3 –31, 2014. Daily/season limit is 1; season limit may be expanded to 2 by persons who possess a valid special wild turkey license. From May 3 –17, legal hunting hours are one –half hour before sunrise until noon; from May 19 –31, legal hunting hours are one –half hour before sunrise until one –half hour after sunset.

COYOTES: No closed season. Unlimited. Outside of any big game season (deer, bear, elk and turkey), coyotes may be taken with a hunting license or a furtaker license, and without wearing orange. During any big game season, coyotes may be taken while lawfully hunting big game or with a furtakers license.

(Berks County)

Shoot and hunt are two different activities.

(Jefferson County)

Pennsylvania wildlife require a hunting license regardless as to where they are.

In PA the wildlife is owned by the People and managed by the Commonwealth. The hunting license is essentially to buy-out the other citizen's percentage of ownership to that animal.

It isn't like a few states where the wildlife is considered property of the landowner while the wildlife is on their land.

The only times you do not need a hunting license is if a species is non-native, declared to be nuisance, and is unregulated. Or when it is a private game preserve where the land is cleared of native wildlife, fenced in, and stocked with critters that were bought and paid for - which are then considered livestock.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Oh Pennsylvania...
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Bucks County)

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania "owns" the wildlife...an interesting posture that apparently is a holdover from the lands the settlers fled but brought with them.

It owns the deer until the deer makes trouble. Then, magically, it's a wild animal and no one is responsible for $$$ in any primary or secondary events of negative nature...such as a deer killing someone in or on a motor vehicle.

I've always felt there is something wrong when a person owns acres of woods on which he/she pays taxes, is responsible for, but cannot hunt or trap on it without a "license" sold by an entity that has no interest beyond turning the situation into a revenue.

If you build a pond on your property and waterfowl land on it and deposit fish eggs and the pond becomes populated with fish, I guess a fishing license is required too.

A $20.70 general license, plus other tags if you like, is a hardship for people? I love seeing some of the comments here sometimes. It 2013 people. This isn't the wild west.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania "owns" the wildlife...an interesting posture that apparently is a holdover from the lands the settlers fled but brought with them.
    He deered to kill the king's dare.

I find it detestable that the state has declared dominion over all the wildlife.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

It owns the deer until the deer makes trouble. Then, magically, it's a wild animal and no one is responsible for $$$ in any primary or secondary events of negative nature...such as a deer killing someone in or on a motor vehicle.

I've always felt there is something wrong when a person owns acres of woods on which he/she pays taxes, is responsible for, but cannot hunt or trap on it without a "license" sold by an entity that has no interest beyond turning the situation into a revenue.

If you build a pond on your property and waterfowl land on it and deposit fish eggs and the pond becomes populated with fish, I guess a fishing license is required too.
    There is a legal term for that - "force majeure". And it is well established.

The Commonwealth doesn't own the wildlife. We, the citizens of PA, do. You own 1/13,000,000th of each critter. The Commonwealth manages the wildlife via laws and regulations. To make sure individuals do not steal from the other citizens, hunting is regulated.

With landowners owning the wildlife it is exactly what fled from. Remember, where we fled from the royalty or nobility owned the lands and critters. Having a landowner own the critters only reverts back to feudal rights - he with the most land and money has the authority.

When a person owns a wholly owns pond, which happens to get stocked by natural means, and certain other criteria is met - he/she does not need to have a fishing license because the fish are not free to roam. They become livestock, confined to the pond.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

When a person owns a wholly owns pond, which happens to get stocked by natural means, and certain other criteria is met - he/she does not need to have a fishing license because the fish are not free to roam. They become livestock, confined to the pond.
    Am I allowed to have a pen of deer on my property as livestock?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast