Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PA --> South Transport

Hypothetically, I may be transporting firearms from PA to a new residence South. My normal route takes me down 95 through Maryland and DC. What do I need to know when traveling with high capacity mags and firearms (AR, Glock, etc.) through these areas? I will be traveling in a pick-up truck (no trunk). Seeking advice...

Can I legally drive through MD? DC? Do I need to avoid them like the plague? I will not be stopping in either area for any reason, barring accident or traffic.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jeffncs; October 7th, 2013 at 11:04 PM.

Default Re: PA --> NC Transport

FOPA:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

thanks. After posting, I decided to stop being lazy and did a little searching to reveal the same info.

I have locking cases (quality ones - Pelican/Hardigg) for the rifles. However, I don't have anything for the ammo. That's in zip-tied ammo cans. Should I stash that in the bed under the tonneau cover?

(Chester County)

Although I personally feel the risks are minimal, there are some things for your consideration:

1. there is no case law on the matter but a strict reading of FOPA transport (18 USC 926A) would indicate that its tolling of intervening state's statutes only extends to 'firearms'; this protection would not extend to magazine capacity or ammunition statutes.

2. since you are transporting the firearms/ammo in the bed of a pick-up, they would not be readily accessible from the passenger and you would be compliant with that portion of 926A.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by jeffncs View Post
    Can I legally drive through MD? DC? Do I need to avoid them like the plague? I will not be stopping in either area for any reason, barring accident or traffic.
    If you take the beltway (I-495) around the west (Virginia) side, you'll avoid D.C. altogether.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I have read that Maryland law vaguely interprets a loaded magazine as being a loaded weapon.
    ...and they have a plan...

Default Re: PA --> South Transport

Another option: Other than handguns, you can ship them to yourself (long guns via USPS, ammo as ORM-D via FedEx or UPS Ground, and magazines by any carrier).

(York County)

Maryland law does not restrict loaded magazines as long as they are separate from the weapon. That said,a Maryland cop might say otherwise,especially near Baltimore or the DC area.
    Best thing is to keep a low profile,drive carefully,avoid all stops. Use restroom and fuel vehicle before you get to the Mason Dixon line.
    AVOID WASHINGTON DC AT ALL COSTS !

IMHO,might be better to travel I-81 through the thin part of Maryland just to avoid exposure.

Have taken the long way on occasion when traveling just to avoid anti gun states.Screw them . Do not stop and buy food fuel or smokes.Spend your $$ in gun friendly states.

Once you get past Maryland the going is OK. Remember that North Carolina has some carry restrictions and Souch Carolina does not recognize Pa license to carry.But,you can carry in the car as long as it is not "readily " accessible.

Reviving my old thread... The move is happening some time early 2014. Here's my plan of attack.

I'm going to buy a small, heavy-duty job box (used to store tools at the job site). This will accommodate firearms, ammo cans, mags, etc. in the bed of the truck safely and securely. Box is locked using 2 padlocks and is secured to the truck bed.

Any issues with this strategy driving through MD (Baltimore) and around DC (VA side - west)? All mags will be empty and CC will be properly locked through the unfriendly states. Trip will be non-stop from the moment I leave friendly PA until I arrive in friendly VA.

Thanks.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffncs View Post
    Reviving my old thread... The move is happening some time early 2014. Here's my plan of attack.

I'm going to buy a small, heavy-duty job box (used to store tools at the job site). This will accommodate firearms, ammo cans, mags, etc. in the bed of the truck safely and securely. Box is locked using 2 padlocks and is secured to the truck bed.

Any issues with this strategy driving through MD (Baltimore) and around DC (VA side - west)? All mags will be empty and CC will be properly locked through the unfriendly states. Trip will be non-stop from the moment I leave friendly PA until I arrive in friendly VA.

Thanks.

Taking 495 either east-side or west-side, you will avoid DC completely except when going the east-side, while on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge you actually cut a corner of DC, it's about 150 feet long. In the middle of the bridge.

You should be fine. Keep in mind that there are many gun owners and hunters in Maryland, and as unfriendly as the Md govt is, transporting firearms lawfully is hardly new. Just stay out of DC.

FWIW, I believe taking 495 west is a bit shorter. Whatever you do, make sure you leave PA and time your travel so as to avoid rush hour on 495. You have no idea. Stay away from 495 from about 6-9 AM, and about 3-7 PM. Stay away from Baltimore's 695 from about 6:30-9 AM and 2:30-7 PM. With a little luck and the wind at your back you'll be in Va and more friendly territory in no time.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast