Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Kahr CW9 Pistol Break In Saga: Part 1- Failure!

My Kahr CW9 Pistol Break In Saga: Part 1- Failure!

Bottom line: 8 malfunctions in the first 30 rounds, trigger failing to reset, gun go's back to Kahr!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz5ha2sdguY

Terry
    "One Shot, Twelve Kills - U.S. Naval Gun Fire Support"

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My Kahr CW9 Pistol Break In Saga: Part 1- Failure!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    My Kahr CW9 Pistol Break In Saga: Part 1- Failure!

Bottom line: 8 malfunctions in the first 30 rounds, trigger failing to reset, gun go's back to Kahr!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz5ha2sdguY

Terry
    I have heard their CS is top notch. What have they said?

My CW9 has gone 235 completely trouble free rounds all with 7+1 loaded mags, different types of shooting from slow fire, controlled pairs, double taps, mag dumps, off hand and intentional limp wristing, with a mix of steel, brass, and quality hollow point ammunition.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I have heard their CS is top notch. What have they said?

My CW9 has gone 235 completely trouble free rounds all with 7+1 loaded mags, different types of shooting from slow fire, controlled pairs, double taps, mag dumps, off hand and intentional limp wristing, with a mix of steel, brass, and quality hollow point ammunition.
    I've had three Kahrs, including a CW9. Narry a problem with any of them, except a magazine problem that was my fault.

Kahrs customer service is excellent. They should take care of you.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

One of the quirks of this gun is that you have to make sure that you get the slide stop UNDER the slide stop spring when you reassemble the gun. It's a fiddly little spring that hard to see and is easy to get under the slide stop. Getting that spring in the wrong place has been known to cause failures to lock the slide back. I only mention it because you stated you cleaned the gun before shooting it and it is a common issue on reassembly. I'm not sure how that would account for FTF or fire, though.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

I will be calling Kahr CS on monday. I watched videos and printed out detailed instructions to follow before field stripping and re-assembly for clean and lube. I always try to do that before working on an unfamiliar gun.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I will be calling Kahr CS on monday. I watched videos and printed out detailed instructions to follow before field stripping and re-assembly for clean and lube. I always try to do that before working on an unfamiliar gun.

Terry
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but your technique isn't going to let you have 100% functioning with a new, stiff pistol. Albeit, the slide not locking back or hanging up like you described is usually indicative of the follower not coming all the way to the top of the mag, but you are allowing more muzzle flip than you should, IMO. Also, you are anticipating. Anticipating, loose grip, and weak ammo all will help the slide not lock back because it simply is going back far enough to extract, but not far enough engage the slide lock. Your brass is not being spit very far, as well, which is also indicative of a too loose grip and/or weak ammo. This isn't the case all the time, but with a new, stiff gun, I'd at least try a stiffer grip and maybe some warmer ammo to see if it will function, better. Time and time again, it is the shooter or the ammo. At least rule that out before going through the trouble of shipping it back to Kahr.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Kahr's manual also advises to chamber the first round by locking the slide back, inserting the magazine then releasing the stop so the slide comes forward on its own power. They advise against slingshot/hand over top method.

Hope you get it sorted out.

(Allegheny County)

I just want to know wth is "horse hockey". I have both a cw9 & pm9. They never had an issue out the box. I don't shoot them much but when I do they perform pretty well. Also, not to mess with you but why are you shooting from 3 feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but your technique isn't going to let you have 100% functioning with a new, stiff pistol. Albeit, the slide not locking back or hanging up like you described is usually indicative of the follower not coming all the way to the top of the mag, but you are allowing more muzzle flip than you should, IMO. Also, you are anticipating. Anticipating, loose grip, and weak ammo all will help the slide not lock back because it simply is going back far enough to extract, but not far enough engage the slide lock. Your brass is not being spit very far, as well, which is also indicative of a too loose grip and/or weak ammo. This isn't the case all the time, but with a new, stiff gun, I'd at least try a stiffer grip and maybe some warmer ammo to see if it will function, better. Time and time again, it is the shooter or the ammo. At least rule that out before going through the trouble of shipping it back to Kahr.
    No offense taken. I appreciate your input. I welcome constructive criticism. In this case all is not how it appears. Due to my kidney disease and meds I have very, very shaky hands. This might give the appearance of loose grip and anticipation on the video but such was not the case. If you watch my hands holding the gun while I'm talking in the video you can see how shaky they are just relaxing. The ammo was all Win, Speer and Federal factory rounds. The failure of the trigger reset is the major problem and for that it has to go back to Kahr.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    Kahr's manual also advises to chamber the first round by locking the slide back, inserting the magazine then releasing the stop so the slide comes forward on its own power. They advise against slingshot/hand over top method.

Hope you get it sorted out.
    Thanks! I did actually read the manual. I used both methods during the shooting and it made no difference.

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast