Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default IWB vs OWB I don't get the difference?

I just bought a Taurus 1911 and want to continue OC'ing when possible. I have been carrying my bersa .380 in a kydex paddle holster. The paddle slips in betwen my pants and my hip, but the actual holster is out side, so thats OWB, correct? The IWB holsters seem HUGE to have shoved in your pants. I was wondering what the difference between the 2 was and if there you guys had any reccomendations for carrying the 1911. I'm looking for something that is comfy and that can be removed without taking off my belt.

Thanks

Dave

P.S. As proof that I did use the search forum, I found the one from last month by BerksCoDave. Nothing I like there.
    3%

(Bucks County)

Default Re: IWB vs OWB I don't get the difference?

Yes,a paddle holster is an OWB holster. If the holster body is outside your pants it's an OWB. If you want to use an IWB you'll need to buy your pants at least one size larger than usual.Most IWB holsters are available with snap loops so that you can put them on/take them off without removing your belt. I wear my XD .45 Service IWB and find it to be comfortable. You might disagree.A single stack 1911 is thinner than the XD so may be more comfortable for you. If you OC however,there isn't much point in using an IWB. The purpose of them is to make it possible to conceal under a shorter cover garment than an OWB requires.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    The paddle slips in betwen my pants and my hip, but the actual holster is out side, so thats OWB, correct?
    yes, that is correct.

The IWB holsters seem HUGE to have shoved in your pants.
    yeah, about an inch thick or so...the width of your gun plus the two sides of the holster.

many people move up a size in pants when they start carrying IWB. personally, i like to wear looser clothing anyway (not hanging off my butt like the youngins do these days , but not tight either), so it's no big deal for me.

I was wondering what the difference between the 2 was
    my IWB holsters all hold the gun closer to my body than any of my OWB holsters. though may bianchi carry-lok pancake holster (OWB) does hold it pretty close.

this helps tremendously with concealment. i find it more comfortable as well. with all my OWB holsters, i have to hold my arm out further than normal to keep from hitting the inside of my elbow on the gun while walking.

another difference is that, with IWB, most of the holster and gun is concealed by your pants. this comes into play if your shirt is relatively short. with an OWB holster, the bottom of the holster/muzzle of the gun might stick out below the shirt.

of course, some people find OWB holsters more comfortable. and they are typically quicker to draw from and easier to get a good grip on the gun while it is still in the holster.

(Lebanon County)

I only carry concealed, I don't like to carry my SAsc9mm inside my waist, too bulky, I have a Bersa for IWB that I really like, my IWB holster is a High Noon for both. I have a Blackhawk paddle for OWB, none for the Bersa, what do you use for your Bersa.

(Venango County)

also to add to the confusion, there standard IWB holster, and Tuckable holster. My crossbreed supertuck has special clips that allow a shirt to be tucked over the gun, and inside the pants....for ultimate concealibity

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by lal View Post
    I only carry concealed, I don't like to carry my SAsc9mm inside my waist, too bulky, I have a Bersa for IWB that I really like, my IWB holster is a High Noon for both. I have a Blackhawk paddle for OWB, none for the Bersa, what do you use for your Bersa.

I use a Kydex paddel with the adjustable tension screws for the Bersa, but I rarely CC... Let me clarify that. I normally just pull my shirt down over the weapon, so a little of the muzzle shows but no big deal.

What are these holsters seem to just have a snap or 2 on the outside of the holster that attach to your belt? They seem to just hang the gun over which looks like it would cause the gun to "flop" away from your body. Any thoughts?

Dave
    3%

(Lebanon County)

not sure what you mean specifically but this is a good site to check concealable IWB holsters http://www.highnoonholster.com/In_Th...ingAugmentDraw

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    What are these holsters seem to just have a snap or 2 on the outside of the holster that attach to your belt? They seem to just hang the gun over which looks like it would cause the gun to "flop" away from your body.
    I think you're referring to Inside-the-waistband holsers.They usually have 1 wide strap or 2 narrower straps on the side away from your body. They don't need to support the gun as it is between your body and your belt. They only need to hold the holster in place vertically. They have snaps on them so that you don't need to remove your belt to put the holster on or take it off. The ones with two straps(loops) are intended to be placed with a pants belt loop between them to eliminate front to back movement.

(Monroe County)

My friend owns a Bersa 380, its so small he can stick it in his back pocket if he chooses to. You could always do that.