Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Help with the courthouse at Doylestown in Bucks Co.!

I have a friend who is my neighbor. I have lived next to him for 3 years now and he’s a great guy. I’ve taken him shooting with me several times already and he is as into it as me.

Here is the problem though. We live in Bucks County. He got in a fight back when he was 16 and they hit him with a felony assault. (This was way before I knew him) Anyway, the deal was that it was supposed to automaticly get expunged when he was 18. He went to buy a gun a couple months ago and the instant check flagged him. That’s the only trouble that he’s been in. That is what he told me at least but I have no doubt that he is telling the truth. He has all of the papers from the court saying that it “would” get expunged. He took all the paper work up to Doylestown and they were going to “take care of it”. That was a few months ago.

Does anyone know who he can call or a lawyer that might be able to give him some incite as to what the hold up is or if it went through? Apparently, every time he calls they give him the run around… It’s kind of ridiculous because this should have been resolved 12 years ago. Now it frustrating for me because I enjoy hanging out and shooting with him and he can’t purchase his own gun until this gets this fixed.

I’ve had great success in this forum in the past. I’m kind of new. I thought I’d take the initiative because like I said I enjoy shooting with him.

Any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Help with the courthouse at Doylestown in Bucks Co.!

If he still has a felony showing on his record, the fact that you provide him access to firearms could cause you problems as well. You and he should be cautious about your actions until the matter is completely resolved.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northumberland County)

Okay... on Juvie records. they DO NOT automatically go away at 18. Some, stay with them the rest of their lives (depending on the offense.)

Here's the breakdown if you are adjudicated delinquent as a juvenile:
    SOME misdemeanors "go away" at 18.
    SOME misdemeanors stay on their adult record and CAN be held against them until thier 28th birthday... THEN they "go away."
    SOME felonies (all but rape, murder, some agg. assaults, arson... maybe one or two others.) go away at 28, like the M's above.

Now...
    Some felony convictions can be held against the juvenile, even after becoming and adult, turning 18, what have you FOREVER.

The only way to help you out is to know more... what was he arrested for, what was the outcome of the hearing? Informal probation? Formal probation, adjudicated delinquint? Consent Decree?
    Lemme know, I can help you out.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Bucks County)

Thanks guys,

I was unaware that I could get in trouble for letting him shoot my guns. It makes sense and I guess I never thought of him as a felon and I thought I didn’t have to worry.

Mikpro, thanks for the info. I will see him on Monday and ask him all of the details. I’m not positive but I think it was just an assault charge and it the least charge of the felons (sorry I don’t know if I worded that correctly) if I remember correctly. I remember him showing me the court documents but I’m having a hard time recalling what they said. When I get all of the facts I will let you know. He is 31 now so if it was suppose to come off at 28 he should be ok. Again, I’ll check with him to get all of the fact. Thanks again for all your help!!!

Thanks guys!

(Allegheny County)

He can run his own name through:
    https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp

To see what shows on his criminal history.

The fee is nominal, and it basically runs you through PICS and displays the results.

(Bucks County)

Ok he scanned in a copy of all of the papers that he has on the case. This is what I pulled out of them as far as charges.

This is what he was charged with in Juvenile court.

Date of Arrest 6/01/1993

CC2702 Aggravated Assault F-1
    CC2701 Simple Assault M-2
    CC2705 Reckless Endangering M-2
    CC0903 Criminal Conspiracy M-2

I asked him to send me the documents for the outcome of the case.

Thanks again

(Dauphin County)

Your friend should not be in possession of firearms if he was adjudicated delinquent on the aggravated assault charge:

In addition to any person who has been
    convicted of any offense listed under subsection (b), the
    following persons shall be subject to the prohibition of
    subsection (a):
    (7) A person who was adjudicated delinquent by a court
    pursuant to 42 Pa.C.S. § 6341 (relating to adjudication) or
    under any equivalent Federal statute or statute of any other
    state as a result of conduct which if committed by an adult
    would constitute an offense under sections 2502, 2503, 2702,
    2703 (relating to assault by prisoner), 2704, 2901, 3121,
    3123, 3301, 3502, 3701 and 3923.

He needs to apply for relief from disability or possibly get a governors pardon.